Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

The Testing

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:41 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 7:30 PM Central Daylight Time

"Yo, Khorien, I got somethin' fo' y'all."

"This had better be good, young man. I am a busy man."

"Yeah, a busy man dat works fo' us right now. We still got yo ass on retaina ta study dese thangs."

"Get on with it."

"Like I said, I got somethin' fo' y'all. Check dis."

The blue luster from the stone in Deuce's strong grip gave the disgruntled mage a start when it reached his eyes. Its aura was weak, but different. Dissimilar from the faux Opals he had obtained from the corporation known as Titan, the improbable seemed to come to life with it. If the rumors of powerful sentience within the real gems were true, it could easily be withholding its real power.

"Give it to me."

The wizard held the gem within his grasp. Whispers of past demons floated through his mind as the Opal proved its true power, beyond the range of the young man's senses. The connection between the Pathfinder hidden on his person and this, the true Icedancer, was undoubted and real in his soul. So long had it been before his face had made the movements, it almost hurt for him to smile; yet smile he did, however small, however subtle it was. Such
power did not cross one's path every day, and to control it as he now could, how could one not show some sort of joy?

"I shall test this...replica. No doubt is it a fake, for it is well-documented that the true Opal was destroyed by a weapon of great power. It is lucky for you that researching what I wish costs money...money which I need, and which I will get from you."

"Yeah, whateva. Jus' git it done."

"You will have your answers by week's end. Begone, young Deuce, so I may begin this task."

-------------------------------------------------------

The dimmed lights shone off Deuce's bald head as he walked back into the Outback. Khorien was everything he had been cracked up to be- rude, arrogant, and condescending. But how often do rude, arrogant, and condescending old wizards smile? Something told him that the mage wasn't being fully honest, but with the money they were paying him, he had better come up with results.

"Can't be real... but why he so happy?" As he peeled off his shirt in anticipation of a late shower, Rask's young assistant had some things to think about.

--------------------------------------------------

My brother, it cannot be.

Yes, it can. You knew I could not have been destroyed. You would have felt it. The arrogance of these humans and their "technology" is startling. Could it be that you, too, fell prey to their thoughts?

Ah, it is like you, Icedancer, to attempt to provoke even I. Of course you had not been vanquished. But, surely, you must have had doubts of our rejoining.

Never! The Fates have destined us to be joined again, our power focused by one of heart and strength. We still must work; our brethren are tightly controlled now, for the greed of humans has proven a mighty force. Our efforts shall be successful, however, fear not. This one, he is strong for a human, but weak when placed before our power. When the time is right, and he is of no more use, he shall be easily disposed of. Until that time comes,
this is our best choice of a vessel to use to bring the rest to us.

Agreed, Master of Water. I suggest we allow one of their fakes to be used in your place for the time being. After that, this "Khorien" may require some prodding, but his lust for our strength should be motivation enough for him to find the remaining three. At that time, we shall lead him to the gauntlet, and our destiny will be found.

Yes. None can stand before our combined strength. It has been too long, Master of Forest. Let us prepare for our day of glory.