Hmm.

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Hmm.

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:54 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 12:04 AM Central Daylight Time

The script is languid, flowing. The silver-tipped pen writes easily, as he muses in the silent room over his wording.

"Dearest Friends...

Well! I see you've had quite an exciting time recently...congratulations to the gentleman who won the tournament, firstly, may you enjoy the fruits of your labours. Congratulations as well to those who plied their skills as well against him.

Now, a most curious thing has appeared before my eyes.

This blue gem that made it's reappearance, in the couch no less...is this not the famed Blue Opal? The..how do you say...Ice Dancer? A fascinating occurance this is, for wasn't that gem destroyed nearly half a year ago by the woman Shannon Colton?

Yes, I do believe that's the truth....it was destroyed. Why, didn't you, Signor Rask, state that specific fact yourself, in a public address some months ago? On one of my treks past this hamlet, I did happen to read your voluminous diatribe against that woman's nefarious actions. You seemed righteously upset that she destroyed a part of the sport, and my, weren't you vicious in your condemnation of her?

Now..there seems to be a discrepancy....doesn't there, my worthies?

Might I quote your address, thoughtfully scribed here by a local reporter?

"She could think of nothing better, nothing more poignant than destroying an Opal. How unoriginal... How sad that a person who speaks about the Good of the game can, in the end, only destroy a part of it." - quote attributed to Rask, leader of DoF.

Hm. Harsh, but deserving of someone who deprive the sport of such a historic part of itself.

I quote, again, dear sir... " Her hollow words mean nothing to anyone because her actions have proven her to be little more than an ill tempered thug, incapable of doing anything but deprive the community of something they hold dear."

But...I am at a loss for words here. What, my dear sir, has she deprived your community of? This 'ill-tempered thug'...what was her crime again?

I do believe, Signor Rask...that you have been proven...wrong.

Oh, I understand that you can rightly point out...you were correct *as far as you knew at the time*. And that's true...so you cannot be held accountable for something that you did in all honesty.

So, then, sir. I believe what is called for here...is a retraction. You are wrong, are you not? It has been proven that Ms. Colton is innocent of the crime you accused her of perpetrating. And while you may speak of intent, and such...we must speak of the facts here. Good sir, you lead this sport. I believe the responsibility now falls on you to do the right thing. Don't disappoint.

And now for the last. You, sir, spoke of Ms. Colton depriving the community of something it holds dear...a part of the sport of DoF. And I have witnessed the righteous vitriol that you spewed forth against her for that.

Well, now...it seems to me that all DoF has lost, is still a part of it's history. A person who helped mold it, yes? Where are your words of thunder at that loss? Where are your tears at the deprived sport now?

Where, I ask you all...is the justice?

Now...I spread my arms to you! Commence the flaming, for I would expect nothing less! I am here, a worthy target to take the place of the real issue...come and get me.

I, at least...can fight back.

Cordially..
Walker.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Hmm.

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:55 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 1:45 AM Central Daylight Time

Submitted for your approval.

Given: Shannon Colton had, in her possession, the Blue Opal known as Ice Dancer.
Given: Shannon Colton was witnessed by many individuals to have fired a high-energy weapon at said Blue Opal, in effect destroying it.
Given: Shannon Colton was not given to unnecessary theatrics, nor false behavior... such as destroying a replica of the Blue Opal.
Given: The Opals of the Duel of Fists are items of magick of an unknown level of power.
Given: The Outback has been subject to many odd and unexplainable disturbances since the "destruction" of the Blue Opal.
Given: In many forms of magick, like attracts to like...
Conclusion: The energies released by the "destruction" of the Blue Opal may have coalesced back into a material form. This coalescing would logically take place near an individual who had handled the Blue Opal in the past and retained a sympathetic vibration to its form of magick.
In closing: Given this line of logic, Shannon Colton is still guilty of destroying the Blue Opal... just not of destroying it beyond recovery. In this case, though I believe the censuring of Ms. Colton may have been unnecessarily harsh, some level of censure was clearly called for.

I will be the first to admit this is not necessarily the actual course of events, merely the most likely one.

Lady Drake, aka the Gryphon.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:56 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 1:57 AM Central Daylight Time

Dear Walker,

Although I am not much for words, I can explain something to you. Shannon Colton did resign from the sport. Due to the lack of appreciation towards it and its followers. But this resignation was not a first as she has done so before and been reinstated. Others have resigned, yes, but none other than her have done it with a distasteful, sour attitude, such as destroying an Opal, be it fake or not. Even if she was allowed to come back to the duel
of Fists, I can promise you that she would not want to. Even if everyone begged and told her they'd change, she would not come back.
Shannon Colton was in fists from the very beginning. The beginning where it was not even a place, but what you might call a "courtyard brawl." She was here through her obtaining the Emerald on the sixth of June, 1995, obtaining the Diamond on July 24th, 1995 (Almost exactly 3 years before destroying the Opal) and was here when she obtained the spot of 100 wins over losses in late 1996. To earn over 100 wins over losses in about 6 months is quite
a feet.
Especially as Diamond of how she called Diamonds after her as being inconsiderate, unloyal, dishonorable and so on. And as I may say... every Diamond after her except for Dare L'Tan who was an Emerald before her and one of the first four. Now, when Rask made that speech, I was there in the crowd and was quite satisfied. Of course, all I had known was that Shannon destroyed the real Opal. Heck, this Opal found could be a fake! And even if it
wasn't a fake, and Rask allowed her to come back, she would not. I have even talked to her about it and she personally assured me, no matter the circumstance, she would never come back.
One thing I must say is that you are a fine writer with an accomplished set of vocabulary. I'm most positive that you will be replying to this missive. If you will, I'll be waiting.

(( SN: ShanniCltn is no longer a registered name. ))

~a Andrew Forcer a~

Knight of
Eldicor

House of Asgard

Emerald, Magician, Commoner

Twelth and Fourteenth Diamond of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:58 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 2:48 AM Central Daylight Time

I am quite new to this thing and have little info on what happened that night, but I have heard many stories from many people and all are basicly the same. From this I can assume that I have a good idea of what went on. Now, I am not trying to say anyone was right or anyone was wrong in saying what they did. Everyone must have had a reason for doing so or they wouldn't have said it in the first place. Ijust want to say what I am sure a lot of you are thinking about this.The Opal called "Ice Dancer" is back. Let us leave it at that. We should all be glad it has been found. Forget all of this arguing about what anyone said or did in the past because that is when it happened. In the past. Live in the now, not in the then.With that being said, I hope all of this fighting nonsence will stop and we can get back to what is important.Signed,Dalamar Majere
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:00 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 7:00 PM Central Daylight Time

Well said, my fellows! Note, if you will, the sarcasm in my tone.

First, to the several posts which have absolutely nothing to do with my original point, I shall quote a journalist of note:

"Thanks for buzzin' in, now..buzz off, bay-bee." Don't feel you need to be offended; a bit of levity, nothing more.

Next, the Lady Drakewyn.

You've come up with quite the conspiracy theory there, haven't you? Perhaps next you'll claim that there was a second gunman behind the banister? You can spout alternate theories till Etrigan becames a nanny, but it seems that the obvious facts are quite clear. The Opal is not destroyed, and until it's proven a fake, that means one simple fact:

The lady didn't destroy it. Therefore, the bulk of Signor Rask's indictment rings false, based on an event that did not occur. Therefore, a retraction and apology is in order. Or, if you prefer, he could claim that he meant to say something else, but magical energies distorted his words.

Next up, Mr. Forcer.

Did I misinterpret myself, or am I correct in understanding that my posting has nothing to do with the lady returning to compete? Mr. Andrew Forcer, I am stating one simple, incontrovertible fact. If the Blue Opal is genuine, and thus far none have proven otherwise, then Signor Rask's public flogging is based on false facts, and he owes the lady a retraction and apology. I can repeat his words for you if you like.

And now, I offer another tidbit for your collective consumption.

Bane - you challenge me to prove that the Blue Opal is in fact real? You ask me how I know that this is true?

I tell you here and now that I have proof that it is - an eyewitness account or three. And if you want to call me on this, I will put it straight for your approval. I hope your faces will not be too red.

And finally - Dalamar.

It's all well for you to entreat me to 'live in the present' - but what we're dealing with here is a reputation that has been unfairly blackened, based on false facts. That, my dear lad, is an injustice and while you may be content to let such a thing go, I don't believe I am.

~Walker
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:01 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 8:22 PM Central Daylight Time

Alrighty then.I suggest that all this bickering stuff stop and I am starting to be pulled into it even more.Fine by me.So what if her reputation has been "blackened". She destroyed the Opal, be it a fake or the real thing, and left. She must have wanted everyone to dislike her or just not have cared one way or the other. No matter what, it was really her fault for her "blackened reputation". You can't expect someting like that to happen and then have everyone just not care that it happened. Someone is going to speak out aganst it and the person who did it.As for the facts. What facts? We don't know if the Opal that was destroyed was even the real thing. Nor do we know if the one that was found is real or not. For all we know she could have destroyed a fake and kept the real one for herself. Hows that for a wild idea?Now for my being content to just let this thing go. I will admit that was case before. And it kinda still is. It affects me very little. However, I too would hate to have someone falsely accused of something. But look at what happened. There were quite a few people around when it happened. And if she kept the real one instead of destroying it, then she is guilty of theft. Either way, she has a right to whatever reputation she built forherself in this matter. However "blackened" it may be.Signed,Dalamar Majere
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:02 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 9:00 PM Central Daylight Time

Dalamar;

You bring up several worthy points; I shall entertain each.

The first is her 'intention' for destroying them. I don't believe I'm qualified to speak about her intent, but I believe any eyewitness that night will tell you that her intent was to hammer home a point to the sport. Not to make people hate her - that was just a convenient afterthought.

The second; was the real Opal destroyed? I shall have proof of *that* shortly, as I stated earlier - some dust of the destroyed item was saved by the koala staff, and for whatever reason, they chose to put it in a case. Perhaps to save some inkling of a lost treasure - well, that inkling will provide my first Proof. That the real Opal was not destroyed.

But a disturbing image has been raised by Dalamar, and one I think only fair to justify.

Did she destroy a fake...and keep the real?

Truly that would be a vile thing. But, I have two witnesses who will attest that the real Opal..

was returned to the very staff that run the sport!

Doubt me? Wait and see.

~Walker
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:03 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 3:22 AM Central Daylight Time

The warrior comes limp, limp, limping into the Outback for a time of peace and reflection as he often does. He guesses that he might as well go to the boards and read up on the current events and things of the such, so he limps to the boards, hoping not to further injure his knee in doing so..nor his rather sore right shoulder. (Lots of good luck he's had in the past few days, you see). As he stands, readingover the missives which are posted, his expression changes to that of surprise. He pulls out his almighty pen and writes....To whomever has posted about the Blue Opal, and anyone else it may concern,To my knowledge, there has been no testing done on the stone which was found, nor has the Mage has been asked. If he has, it has not become public knowledge as of yet. I would like to ask you who so boldly state that the stone is in fact, the true Blue Opal, how you have come to this knowledge. I was here when the Opal was destroyed, as well as when this stone was discovered. My first thoughts were that the stone was a fake, they needed todispose of it as quickly as possible before anyone came up with any crazy ideas, but it was brought to my attention that some tests need to be done in case the stone happens to be the real thing. I still do not believe that this blue stone can be Icedancer, because it is hard to dispute something that you saw with your very own eyes. If the stone does happen to be the real thing, then it will be good for the Duel of Fists community; but ifthe stone is just a replica, then it shouldn't take any skin off our backs. In essence, why should any arguments be started before we know any facts about this blue stone which has been found? In my opinion, arguments at this point are ludicrous.Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughtsHave a nice day,Bane
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:04 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 9:48 AM Central Daylight Time

I say this. Do you want the Opal for the power it gives you? Or do you want the Opal for yourself? Or do you want the Opal to prove something?

If you said yes to the first and second ones then you would most likely be in it for the true Opal alone. If you said yes to the last one, then who needs a stone? It is just the symbol of rank. Rask could have simply got a fake Opal and said it was going to go to the tournament winner. I'd make do with that, personally, since the 'magical' side of the Opal isn't as alluring as what comes with it.

Real or no, this new Opal will never hold the same respect that the old one did. It will take someone of great prestege to do such and even then it will be a joint effort with whom that person defends against and the image that person presents. The black mark left by everyone ( and I'm not pointing fingers but it is more than one ) in regards to the Blue Opal may be one that will never be overcame.

Now, I hope this doesn't sound insulting to anyone, it is merely opinion and opinion is about all I have in the Outback now.

Rol
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:05 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 9:51 AM Central Daylight Time

Scribbles a few words at the bottom of his post.

"PS:

I wouldn't exactly call this the community arguing, Bane. More like the community speaking with each other on a grander scale, and I think it is wonderful to see some action on the Outback's boards and some of the opinions of the resident patrons, since I can't be in the Outback enough to get them."
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:06 pm

Date: 1/19/1999 6:40 PM Central Daylight Time

I got an idea. How about everybody let this go? This ain't nobody's fight but Walker's and Rask's. I ain't got no idea why Walker's involved, but he brought it up. So let Rask stick up for himself, he's capable of it.

As far as the Opal, we got somebody workin on it right now. We should know by the end of the week whether or not it was real. And whether you believe it or not, that was not planted by me, or by anyone with my knowledge. I'm as surprised as any of y'all.

Now, can we all just get along until we know what's up?

Deuce
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:42 am

Date: 1/19/1999 6:40 PM Central Daylight Time

::Ian arrived at the Outback and stopped on his normal path to where the bar had been to read through the large stack of growing papers, which was considerably larger than what had been there the previous night. He couldn't help but let a soft chuckle at the orriginal posted paper, but grew gradually irritated as the posts continued. With a dire frown upon his aged face, Ian withdrew an old pen from his back pocket and
scrawled on a nearby napkin...::

"Yes, justice has left to be satisfied. There were crimes committed, but are any of those who dare to press their guilty fingers forward at one woman's actions any better? Case in point: those of you who have contributed to the growing feelings of uneasiness in the souls that have come fresh into these vindictive rings over the passing years. Those of you who have come to these rings for nothing more than status. Those of you who have come into
the rings without honor. Those of you who have turned your backs on the very ideals that used to make the line between The Outback and the Arena dramatically different.

I say this to all of you that feel the need to cast stones. Did you help in making The Outback rise to glory, or did you come for your own selfish ends? Did you have to stop and think about previous remarks that stated that "The Outback has become another Arena"? And the answer is yes, I had to stop and think.

Shannon Colton was my friend. I also shared her feelings that things were going on a downward spiral. In some ways, I still do. Unfortunately, I wasn't there to help her prove the point that she drove forward in a final display of disgust. Maybe there were ways of doing this without hurting those of you that are so worried about rank that you'll spew forward insults instead of placing solutions forward. The point is, Shannon didn't feel that
there was any other way. You also have to admit, she got your attention, as well as mine. ::takes a second to mourn for the ashen floor that used to be the bar::

Bottom line is this. I wasn't here to help defend Shannon when she needed me. Perhaps in her passing, I will be able to. Those of you that are so worried about her incident, or in that she made a mistake, forget about it. In most cases your skulls are so thick that my words won't get through anyway. Just don't worry about the future. Shannon isn't just gone from the rings. She's not even just gone from RhyDin. The reason that no one's seen
her is because my friend can't come back here again. Few can. In this I mourn a great warrior, and a good friend. I just hope that my optimism isn't in vain, as I still hold the opinion that things can improve...

Aye,
Ian

::With the final stroke of his pen, he holds the paper to the boards and rams the metal quill through the paper and deep into the wall, bypassing the need for thumbtacks, or to write again.::
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:43 am

Date: 1/19/1999 8:53 PM Central Daylight Time

Walker,

As Ian stated, Shannon got everyone's attention when she blew up the Opal. Or the so called.. Opal, whatever you may choose it to be until the end of the week. If it is the fact that it was a fake Opal and the one is the fact then I would assume that Rask would make an apology to her. But, one thing is is that Shannon didn't even know what had happened after that night. In fact, when I talked with her, I informed her of a few situations, not
bringing up the fact that she had been banned most likely because she figured that so.
The reason for blowing up the Opal was as Ian stated - to get attention. And that she did for her speech was well stated and the approach made after the speech was well timed. Her blowing up the Opal didn't even disturb me. In fact, when she did so, I was directly in front of her and I smiled to her and she left after her simple words, "Game Over." After that, I then restated the speech making sure everyone understood why she had done so. If
anyone does not understand why she destroyed the Opal, I will be happy to tell you in a private conversation. No need to take up more space on this corkboard.
Walker, the past messages I've brought up have clearly not stated anything by means of your argument... or statement... or address. Whatever you may call it. But it does tell why she did what she did. In this past missive I have now responded to what should be done and I agree with you. If it was a fake that was destroyed, I sincerely hope that Rask will apologize to her. But, I want to make it clear that she will never come back. The only
thing left here is her soul in which only few will charish. For her insults - they have come with reason and that reason as been created by 4 years of experience.

Good Day,

~a Andrew Forcer a~

Knight of
Eldicor

House of Asgard

Emerald, Magician, Commoner

Twelth and Fourteenth Diamond of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:49 am

Date: 1/20/1999 2:25 AM Central Daylight Time

Walker, You just brought up most of the questions I tried to make clear in my first post. Mainly, we don't know why she did what she did and we don't even know if she did it in the first place. We don't know what she was thinking. That is a given. So don't be bringing it up any more.As for the second one. Tests are being done as we argue about this. Until they are done, you really have no excuse for bringing any of this garbage up. For all you know the tests could prove it WAS the Opal and then where would you be? You would have wasted your time in bringing up the whole matter and you would have wasted our time as well.As for the theft thing. For all we know it could have been placed there as a prank and the real one is still missing. We don't know yet.What am I trying to say here? Let me make it as clear as I can. WE DON'T KNOW ANYTHING YET. And because of that fact, why are we all fighting about this subject?Bring your witnesses and your proof when you have it all and then then show us what you have found. Untill then lets stop all of this pointless bickering.Signed Dalamar Majere
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:54 am

Date: 1/20/1999 11:46 AM Central Daylight Time

I haven't seen any bickering yet. Just move and counter move. Someone brings up a valid opinion. What is wrong with giving your opinion? Nothing. But don't expect to not hear some debate over it when you give it publicly, geez.

On a side note. I'm now a member of the community again (yay!) and I don't feel deprived by Shanni's actions. No one took my right to brawl away nor did they take away all of the Opals or the Diamond for that matter or put a hamper on what I could or couldn't do.

No, I feel deprived in regards that a secondary opal, even one without 'magical' powers wasn't brought in to take its place. I have no wish to explore whatever powers theses stones have unlike most of the people who have held Opals. It would be like alligning myself Renegade one day then Neutral the next, then perhaps Loyal the next day simply because I can, or registering different spells within the Isle simply because it is allowed.

Let the power consume you, lose the fun of the duel, no?

Roland