DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:44 pm

Message 29 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Subject: Re:Warlord Ranking
Date: 09/09/1997 2:46 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

>>Would ya truly not be proud of a win over me in the ring? YA don’t know me, we have never duled, Isen’t that more of a chalange than a WL ya have fought ten or twelve times?<<

I'll ansewer both questions for you.

Your point is most valid. In truthful speaking, when I was a Commen Man wondering though the Arena, I first dueled out of curiousity. I learned then that I loved it. So came back several of times more, dueled more, lost more... netherless, I still loved it. I began to read the entire set of rules in depth, learning the way things ran, the people involved... everything. Checking the standings to try to understand who was who and what relation who had against the other. THe first Warlord I ever faced was
Arithon (Challenged Devion Sliverblade (See Ring Three in "Meet the Baron's of the DoS) ), he taught me a few tricks... like why it is unwise to Step to the side after you opponent has Thrusted.

Anyways, I lost my first and second match to him, scores and the such I do not recall. On my third attempt, I finally had beaten him. I felt great about it. "I actually beat a Warlord!" my little Commen self said... though, not outloud, nothing is worse than insult to injury. Nowadays, Commeners come and go like the passing wind. Only a few actually climb the ladder of Skill and Luck to become Warlords. Their must be around two hundred to two hundred fifty Warlords ever in the DoS history (This is an
esitmation, I have no clue.) but there must have been at least ten times that amount of Commen Men and Women who pass by with one duel in their pocket, wether it would be a win, loss, or draw.

It is true that I know not of you other than these postings, and from the sound of it you will be sticking around here longer than shorter, but knowing how difficult it was for myself to hit Warlord and how many Lower rankers I beat to gain that rank only has given me more respect for the one's of higher, recorded skill.

Since I have beaten many Commeners and many Warlords... I would gamble that the percentage of winning is still higher on the Commener-Grand Master level than it is the Warlords and the Barons. Only now does it strike interest in me what your true skill/luck is in the Rings, due to your carefully thought out words you have placed here before me.

In a pound for pound basis... I would be more interested in faceing a Warlord I have faced twenty times than a Commener I've never seen. This is due to the fact that I know that more often than not I might be placed in a situation where the outcome of the match depends heavily on how well I know the Warlord or Baron and how well it is I am doing. Examples of this is Challenge Matches, the Warlord's Tournament... or if I ever was ever offered, a defence as the Overlord's Defender. Personal confidence for
myself only rises when I have defeated a fair amount of Warlods, more than when I have lost, and confidence is essental to doing well in a match that has the outcomes of history being written. That is more of a Challenge then facing someone I have never faced before. Think of it as "preperation" for times when true skill and luck are needed.

I won a Warlords Tournament, took the fourth Baron's Ring as my prize. Since then I defended it three times, and lost on my fourth attempt. Since then, it has been waiting. I'm not sure what for, but I wait for the best moment to show off the skill and luck I have gained over the months (Almost a year now).

I do understand where you are coming from. Everyone thinks differantly so no one will be compleatly happy with the way things are. Someone will always call "Foul!" at a choice the Overlord makes. I try to explain myself in the best way possible, without offending anyone... but people still do become offended, for whatever reason. Sometimes I'll try to make up for it and sometimes I'll stand by what I say. All in all, I do not agree with your post and for many, in my eyes, valid reason due to the
experances I have gone through.

>>Continued, (not much more)<<
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:45 pm

Message 30 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/09/1997 2:50 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

I shall take you up on your offer though (If it is an offer) of faceing you insides the rings. The way I have been dueling latly, you might be victories. If I become better, I might claim victory.

I hope this post here will help explain why it is that I feel that a Lower Rank/Higher Rank relationship on the Warlord Standings is not enjoyable for most people.

Thank you for listening.

Respectfully,
~^~Sir Damien Cetran~^~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:45 pm

Message 31 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/09/1997 5:15 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

Badger Ax,

If you defeated me in the rings I would applaud your win and I would never, ever, blame your win on my lack of skill or that I "suck" or that I'm "having a bad day." Saying things like that are backhanded compliments.

If I won, I would not sneer and I would hope I didn't rub your nose in it. The finest dueler I have ever known, Fandral Kurgan, was ever gracious in the rings, whether he lost or won and no matter who he dueled.

I wish you luck in the rings,

Morgan al'Tan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:46 pm

Message 32 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/09/1997 5:23 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

To the questions brought up about fighting "commoners" that have never been seen before.

If one such as Cetran read the standings to find out "who's who" before making Warlord, why has this stopped once the goal of Warlord or higher has been achieved?

I think if all of us paid attention to the standings, patronage in the rooms, postings on the kiosk, and so on, we'd know the difference between Commoners/Swordsmen involved in the sport longer term and those that are fleeting visitors.

Get to know *everyone's* names. Pay attention if you see repeat patrons. Read the standings each week when they are posted. Find out "who's who."

Not all of them are Warlords.

Morgan al'Tan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:47 pm

Message 33 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/09/1997 7:00 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

::still thinks Morgie should get out her whip and force it to be Rand LeFay:: :-)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:47 pm

Message 34 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/10/1997 12:24 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

No one can please everyone, and it seems that I have not pleased Morgan with one of my commenets.

>>If you defeated me in the rings I would applaud your win and I would never, ever, blame your win on my lack of skill or that I "suck" or that I'm "having a bad day." Saying things like that are backhanded compliments. <<

Everyone has bad nights, weeks, even months. How does one blame his lack of skill to anything? You can't blame it on anyone but yourself, but does this does not mean that you are not having a bad night? No. People become aggrivated, frustrated, sometimes berserk over having a "bad" night because this is not normal for that person. If they were to commenet further who knows what harsh words on burnt pride would be said. Not everyone can be a "Fandral Kurgan" because, like I have said before, everyone is
differant.

Myself, whenever someone has told me that they are not dueling well, I have full sympothy for that person for I know how that person feels, even if it is not outloud. When Ford, for example, was telling me about his slump I told him "Don't worry, your too good to be bad for too long". Many others I have gave them my best wishes when they havn't lived up to their own personal expectations. You cannot "blame" it on your personal bad night... but you can "Explain" it in this fashion.

>>If one such as Cetran read the standings to find out "who's who" before making Warlord, why has this stopped once the goal of Warlord or higher has been achieved?

I think if all of us paid attention to the standings, patronage in the rooms, postings on the kiosk, and so on, we'd know the difference between Commoners/Swordsmen involved in the sport longer term and those that are fleeting visitors. <<

Very nice a comment Morgan. I failed to say that myself. I do still this myself. It is hard at some points due to the fact that their fact there are many, many Commeners at one time (In the Standings at the least), netherless, if this were not true, I would not know someone such as Daemon or Sir Cassius (Before he hit Warlord, I knew him way back when he started out in differant clothings ((SN changes)) ).

But Morgan, you do have to realise that not everyone can live up to everyone else's standers or expectations. Some may be too busy in or at home life to know "everyone", Commener and Newbie Warlords alike. You may say whatever you like, but to follow in someone else's path, yours, mine or another by example... is asking or telling more than you should be allowed.

Share your opinions in respectable manners instead of telling others... "You should do this" or "You have to do that"... most people ignore that person or it will start an argument... stuff people are trying to advoid?

>>
Get to know *everyone's* names. Pay attention if you see repeat patrons. Read the standings each week when they are posted. Find out "who's who." <<

Lead by example instead of words... opinions are thoughts, commands state that you are higher over the audiance you are talking to... and no one likes being a slave in a sport.

Their are exceptions to every rule.

Sincerally,
~^~Sir Damien Cetran~^~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:48 pm

Message 35 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/10/1997 4:16 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

::thinks he knows a few people that would dare to be Morgie's slave::

::wonders if this post will inspire them to go purchase some shackles::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Message 36 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/11/1997 7:16 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

Morgan,

I remember well that duel. I am honored that you mention it.

-F
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Message 37 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/11/1997 10:20 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

:::snickers::::

I think you forgot one point, Damien........Everyone *can* be a Fandral Kurgan, or hadn't you noticed? :::eyes twinklin::::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:49 pm

Message 38 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/11/1997 10:45 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

::Thwaps both people:: Yea yea yea... everyone can everyone... just change your clothes right?
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:49 pm

Message 39 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/12/1997 3:04 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

<<No one can please everyone, and it seems that I have not pleased Morgan with one of my commenets. >>

I don't think I even had you in mind when I made that comment. The next posting was very much related to something you, and others, had said, however.

While I am here, though, I also have done the "I suck" routine and I have done it recently. I am embarrassed to admit that I did not practice what I preached, so to say.

It is not fair to the person who won the duel to make them feel less than winners against you. (You being a general you, here) Even if you *did* have a bad night, is no reason to make someone who beat you feel they did not deserve the win. And yes, I am telling this to myself, as well.

Honestly though, Cetran, when I made the particular comment about having a bad night and that's the only reason why the opponent won, I was thinking of something that had happened months ago to a friend of mine and how he felt when someone said it to him.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:50 pm

Message 40 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/13/1997 8:26 AM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

Umm guys i only lost to 1 commoner...::chuckles:: wait...ive only dueled one commoner ::chuckles and walks off::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Warlord Ranking

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:50 pm

Message 41 of 41 Subject 129 of 250
Date: 09/13/1997 8:24 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

>>Umm guys i only lost to 1 commoner...::chuckles:: wait...ive only dueled one commoner ::chuckles and walks off::<<

::raises a hand:: Me.