DoS Archive
Archivist

Of challenges and such

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:54 pm

Message 1 of 5 Subject 130 of 250
Subject: Of challenges and such...
Date: 09/12/1997 1:58 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

The afternoon sun was warm on his face, as Arlingond stood on the balcony of Questrion Manor, overlooking the streets of the town below. He noted he could barely make out the roof top of the Red Dragon Inn, many streets over from where he looked on. The smell of pine was in the air, as the mage, Moralitor, sat to one side of the balcony, smoking on an old carved pipe. The two had been silent for quite sometime, before one of them finally spoke.

"Moralitor, was father's challenge for the Overlordship free of all the political mess that seems to surround the challenges today, or was it the same," the young man asked as he continued to look out over the town. A hearty laugh was his first response, making him turn to the mage. "You laugh," his words followed by a smile.

"Well young prince, your father's challenge was honorable to some, but outrageous to most," the mage replied, his laughter subsided. "You know why he challenged Vixxenish, do you not," the mage inquired.

"Aye, he has told me, it was for Amaltea," Arlingond tilted his head to one side, with this reply to the mage. "Vixxenish was Amaltea's friend, and when she challenged Amaltea for the Overlordship, it came as a surprise, with Amaltea feeling quite hurt," he said, then pausing to see what the mage would fill in.

"Yes that is true, for the Overlord had talked to Valmion at some length about it," the mage picked up, noting Arlingond wished to know more. "So, there is the honor that few saw at the time, for many reasons. The first was due to the timing of your fathers challenge, it being done as soon as the standings were posted announcing Vixxenish the Overlord. Which happened to be only a couple of days later," the mage continued, standing and walking over to where Arlingond stood.

"That would have caused outrage, from what I have learned of the duels," the young man said, turning back and looking out over the city with the mage. "How many supported father in his challenge, if you would tell me," Arlingond asked.

(TBC)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Of challenges and such

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:55 pm

Message 2 of 5 Subject 130 of 250
Subject: Re:Of challenges and such...
Date: 09/13/1997 8:13 AM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

"Very few supported your father, most of course, claiming the amount of time your father waited after Vixxenish had won the title," the mage replied, turning and walking back to his chair. "His challenge was perhaps what started the downfall of what was Questrion then," he said as he sat and tapped his pipe on a nearby tray.

"Downfall?" Arlingond inquired, turning with his back to the railing of the balcony.

"Yes, downfall, let me try and explain," Moralitor continued in response, packing his pipe once more. "Luthien left Questrion at this point due to your father breaking a promise to her," he said, then lit the pipe.

"Father has tried to explain that to me. He chose Bishop as his second for the match, when Luthien should have had the honor," Arlingond said, looking down a bit, as if disturbed by his comment.

"Aye, that your father did, for he hoped that if people saw Bishop standing in his corner, then perhaps they would change their mind as to the honor of the match," Moralitor started up again. "Everyone knew Luthien would back any decision that Valmion made. His Herald had been his most loyal follower," he continued, watching the reaction in Arlingond. "Alas, this was one thing, even Luthien could not understand and she left Questrion."

Both men sat quiet for a moment after that, Moralitor enjoying his pipe and Arlingond seeming to lose himself in his thoughts a moment. The noise of the town below starting to increase as another day was beginning.

"With Luthien's departure, Valmion seemed to spend more time in Castle Questrion, rarely coming into town here to partake in the duels. Xenograg and your father argued that point one evening that he did come in," the mage continued the story. "Xenograg told your father he needed to be dueling as much as he could before this match, so that his skills were at their sharpest."

"That probably went over well with father," Arlingond chuckled to himself with the statement.

(TBC)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Of challenges and such

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:55 pm

Message 3 of 5 Subject 130 of 250
Date: 09/13/1997 8:47 AM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

"I am not sure how he really felt about it," the mage continued on. "He was using the excuse that he did not want anyone studying his moves before such a big match. A story that he did not tell very well, for he had always been in the arena, and this was what his goal had always been. It was a story that few believed, I am sure," the mage said before sitting back and taking a long drag on the pipe.

"I have heard that mother did not support his challenge, but that she never told him," Arlingond said softly, as if he really did not want to hear the reply. His silver gaze looked to the mage, who turned and tapped out his pipe. Moralitor seemed to think long on his answer to the young man.

"I can only tell you Arlingond, that this was the beginning of the end for them," the mage said with a sad sigh. "You were in diapers, and you took all your mother's time," he continued, standing and walking over to the railing where Arlingond stood. "Your mother was not the kind of spirit to stay home with a baby Arlingond.

"That you need not tell me Moralitor, for that spirit also breaths within me," Arlingond replied, looking into the mage's dark blue eyes, his own silver gaze reflecting back. "So instead of dueling, father was staying at home with her, correct," Arlingond asked.

"Yes, for that eased on some of the tension that he was experiencing with her," Moralitor replied, turning and looking out over the town once more. "So for the two weeks that led up to the duel, neither of them were seen very much. Which all found strange, for they were always at the duels. This just seemed to add to that black cloud that started to form over Questrion," the mage continued. "A black cloud that lingers to this day Arlingond."

(TBC)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Of challenges and such

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:56 pm

Message 4 of 5 Subject 130 of 250
Date: 09/14/1997 10:35 AM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

"Well, back to that challenge Moralitor," Arlingond broke in, steering the conversation back to the Overlord match. "I heard father fought well in that match," he asked.

The mage smiled at the young man before him, took another small drag from the pipe, thinking about how he would answer this inquiry. "Your father handled Vixxenish easily, Arlingond," Moralitor answered, letting a small puff of smoke trail the words. "But it was not a comfortable evening for him, as he felt the difference in the atmosphere around him," the mage continued, tapping the pipe out once more.

"So, after achieving the goal he first came to RhyDin for, he found it was not what he had expected it to be," Moralitor continues, leaning back a bit in the chair and shuffling his robes around a bit. "Once more, the situation between your parents forced him to retreat into Castle Questrion, making a rare appearance in the arena," the mage paused then, looking to Arlingond.

"And once achieving that long quested goal, did not enjoy the fruits of his labor," Arlingond replied, looking over at the mage. "I had heard this, perhaps a couple of duels a month, at best. He no longer hosted his Questrion Challenge, allowing mother to handle that. He was only a shadow of who he really was," he continued on, looking down at the tiled floor of the balcony.

"Except in the ring, when the first couple of challenges came," Moralitor broke in, causing Arlingond to look up at the mage once more. "In the ring Arlingond, your father's skill did not fade."

(TBC)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Of challenges and such

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:56 pm

Message 5 of 5 Subject 130 of 250
Date: 09/14/1997 3:25 PM Central Standard Time
MsgId:

"The first challenge came from Connor McCleod, a skilled warlord. Connor was husband to the Lady of the Wood, as Valmion called her," Moralitor continued. "Her name was Mamusia, and along with Luthien, had been one of the regulars at Questrion during the weekly tournaments. Valmion was a bit surprised that the challenge came from Connor, but was even more taken aback to learn that Luthien would be the Warlord's second," he then paused.

"During this time he was still rarely seen in the arena, correct," Arlingond asked.

"Correct, he was becoming much of a hermit, leaving Castle Questrion only for brief periods of time. Even visits to the arena became nothing more than a stop by to say hello," Moralitor picked it back up. "His time was dedicated to your mother while she was taking care of you. Occasionally he would get a visitor to speak with, but that was also rare," the mage said, then reached for a bell on the table near where he sat.

Ringing the bell, a servant appeared with a tray, on which he had two cool drinks and some sweet meats, bread and cheese. He sat it down with Moralitor quickly helping himself to the mug of mead, then left the balcony to the two lords once more.

The mage laughed after a drink of ale, bringing Arlingond's gaze to him. "Why do you laugh," the young man inquired.

"The day of the match, I remember you mother asking your father if he knew how he was going to open the match that night against Connor," the mage said, his laughter subsiding. "Your father turned and said, "He's a Highlander, correct?" "To this your mother nodded the affirmative, to which your father said, "Simple, I am going to cut his head off." "Round one that night, your father high cut, scored the point, never losing control of the match in his first successful challenge," Moralitor said, then
took another drink of the mead.

(TBC)