The useless move.

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:35 pm

Date: 10/8/97 3:12 PM Pacific Standard Time

Ok, let's take a look at this kids.....<>Ok...ya' wanted a challenge to prove the move was useful..... << I find it strange reading this since I have won more matches using the disengage than the author of this missive has wins all told. It is not the move but the person performing the move that makes it viable or useless.>>Maybe what she said hurt yer poor feelin's but let's get serious, the fact that she's won that many matches with the move is as much proof of the moves uses, as much as if we had ta' sit ya' down and explain it. Maybe the move is useless fer yer style of duelin'...ever consider that?<<We are all entitled to our opinions, and to our right to post them here. Adeena, boasting of your wins in comparison to mine, and thereby questioning my right to express my opinion is unwarranted and reeks of eliteness to me.>>Ok, so since I won three baronial defenses in one night, or Dal has won every overlord challenge, or Ian has won two barons rings in warlords tourneys, or Adeena has been a baroness longer than most baropns have been duelin', or that Ajay has defended the same ring six time...ect, ect...I suppose these things should never be mentioned because we'd all just be braggin'? It has nothin' ta' do with bein' proud of accomplishments? It's all done ta' hurt yer poor feelin's?Get a grip please. I find it strange that a person who doesn't have many duels under his or her belt would feel capable of confidently callin' a move useless or not. Maybe if ya' get a bit more experience in the rings with the move ya'll be able ta' see it's merit.Oh well, I suppose if ya' don't bother ta' know the ins and outs of the move, I have the right ta' call ya' useless as a dueler. Think about it...maybe it wasn't a slam on ya', maybe it was done ta' give ya' yer "proof" the move works.

::Written in choppy red crayola::Billy RayAKA: Karnafexx"Simply the Best"
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:36 pm

Date: 10/8/97 7:41 PM Pacific Standard Time

>>Get a grip please. I find it strange that a person who doesn't have many duels under his or her belt would feel capable of confidently callin' a move useless or not. Maybe if ya' get a bit more experience in the rings with the move ya'll be able ta' see it's merit.<<

Mr. Karnafexx.
Thank you. You have shown the difference between by questioning my right to comment as I feel Adeena did by boasting of her experience in the ring, and your tactics, which are much more outrightly insulting.
Oh, humble Elijah, please accept my humble apologies for not coming to RhyDin earlier! Your seniority obviously makes you a superior person! I should never speak, only bow to your infallibility! Please, forgive me, oh great and mighty Elijah! It was rash of me to have a different perspective on the sport and the scoring than you! I have learned that so long as you see things one way, I have no right to have my own opinions!
Oh, I forget, this is directed to Mr. Karnafexx, not Elijah... it must've been the hot air surrounding the post that fooled me.
With apologies to Elijah,
-General Perrinis Alabaster
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10/9/97 12:28 AM Pacific Standard Time

Yo! Perri... totally off the subject here, but.. I'd like to read more the a half a page of your name .. no offense.

Colleen MacLeodQueuekeeper of DoS
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10/9/97 2:35 PM Pacific Standard Time

>>Yo! Perri... totally off the subject here, but.. I'd like to read more the a half a page of your name .. no offense.<<

Huh?
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:37 pm

Date: 10/7/97 4:36 PM Pacific Standard Time

::the guardian grumbles a bit at having been awakened from a pleasant nap by the disturbance around the message post::

Disengage? It has its uses... forget not that it is the only move that can be used twice in succession... and I have both scored with it and been scored on by it, thusly.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:37 pm

Date: 10/8/97 3:03 PM Pacific Standard Time

Frankly, Perri, I can get much more insulting, and a heckuva lot more immature than I wrote in my post against Rad. If you'll look back, I've never claimed to be more mature, or less insulting. I'm tired of the jerks. I could give less than a rip what some people are going to think of my maturity. I'm still fairly young, and you better believe I'll use that as an excuse. I really don't mind being chided on the boards, but I wish you'd copy me
in person, as well. I'll do the same courtesy.

~Buffy A. Winters
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:39 pm

Date: 10/8/97 7:44 PM Pacific Standard Time

>> Frankly, Perri, I can get much more insulting, and a heckuva lot more immature than I wrote in my post against Rad. If you'll look back, I've never claimed to be more mature, or less insulting. I'm tired of the jerks. I could give less than a rip what some people are going to think of my maturity. I'm still fairly young, and you better believe I'll use that as an excuse. I really don't mind
being chided on the boards, but I wish you'd copy me
in person, as well. I'll do the same courtesy. <<

Buffy,
Whether we like it or no, this is a public board, and people do have the right to be jerks. Some simply lack the eloquence to express their opinions any other way. And if you decide to be insulting and immature in response to those individuals, what is that besides hypocrisy?
Likely full of hypocrisy himself,

DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:40 pm

Date: 10/9/97 1:17 AM Pacific Standard Time

::tacks up his thoughts on the matter:: General Alabaster, William, Adeena, and all. The Dis in itself is not a useless move...to paraphrase Rix the psychological effect of a perfectly placed fancy Dis can completely wreck an opponents confidence...and that in itself can cost them to duel. It also adds to the mystery of the next round...and even the round after that...by placing you in the position to cut the snot out of a thrust paranoid dueler or even better....hit them with yet another of my favorite fancy defensive manuevers...the duck ::grins:: because to my observation...most regular duelers will become a tad pensive after getting a thrust dissed and will parry in hopes that 1.) You will thrust or cut 2.) That you will not slash. So the duck scores there well. The only things you would have to worry about is a low cut or a slash.....and after being fancy dissed. I do not believe I would do either......but don't quote me on that ;) It all comes down to this....in my mind a pure duel is one that you walk away from without a scratch, on you or your WoL...and these defensive manuevers...Dis, Duck, Sidestep and Stophit are most probably the best moves I have found to accomplish this, if well placed.(Excluding the Stophit which is truely and offensive move). Well I believe that is my $19.95 worth so I will put my blue crayon away....I fully expect someone to rip this theory apart.....but when it comes down to it....what works for me and my philosophy....may be total bunk to yours. Good Day my friends.I am,~Adonai Uziel of the Valheru~~Duke of Ezogaer~~Knight Marshal of Questrion~~Warlord of the Duel of Swords~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10/9/97 6:59 PM Pacific Standard Time

Perri,

Although I shouldn't bother tryin' ta' rationalize with ya' because it's obvious that anything that *you* don't agree with is freakin' slander. I'm sorry ya' got all upset over my post but once again, get a freakin' grip.

And as fer comparin' me ta' Elijah...hell kid, if he was here he'd tell ya' ta' shut yer mouth too. I don't give a fig about what ya' think, I was tryin' ta' be nice...ya' flipped so screw you pal.

The difference between us is that if this degenerates ta' some pointless personal war, you'll be the one ta' lose so back off.

This has nothin' ta' do with Elite-ism, cockiness or "hot air". I can and will kill you in public, step over yer corpse and get myself a drink like nothin' happened.

Ya' drop this now or grow a pair and step up and I'll lay yer ass right out.

Love ya',

Billy Ray
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10/14/97 6:01 PM Pacific Standard Time

::Finally having a chance to read the message boards again, her beautiful daughter sleeping peacefully in her arms. She reads the various posts, and, taking her pen in her free hand, writes.::Billy Ray Karnafexx. I can see no reason for you to claim "You were trying to be nice" when the tone of your words is so insulting. As for you saying that you "can and will kill you in public, step over yer corpse and get yourself a drink like nothin' happened."... I think you'd better rethink that attitude. Should you, or anyone else, try to deprive my daughter of her father, you will not live long enough to regret it... not even for a second.I am...

Lady Drake.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:47 pm

Date: 10/15/97 1:46 PM Pacific Standard Time

<<Billy Ray Karnafexx. I can see no reason for you to claim "You were trying to be nice" when the tone of your words is so insulting. As for you saying that you "can and will kill you in public, step over yer corpse and get yourself a drink like nothin' happened."... I think you'd better rethink that attitude. Should you, or anyone else, try to deprive my daughter of her father, you will not live long enough to regret it... not even for a second.I am...Lady Drake.>>::A tiny envelope sealed with the stamp of the Dead Nicholas (Opaque coffin insignia) arrives by a well paid deliver man dressed in strange brown shorts and carrying a blinking clipboard:: Gad zooks woman!?, It's good ta' see that it only took ya' a few weeks ta' realize I threatened yer mans life. Maybe I was a bit forceful in my vocab, a bit stingin' in my explinations and a bit blunt with my meanin'. I'm as subtle as a stick in the eye and as soft spoken as 30 grit sandpaper babe. Maybe ya' should teach that boy of yers some manners, since I ain't learnin' em. He's the one with a family ta' lose, I got nuthin'....feel sorry for me. ::Grins to himself:: I let it go after he and I talked because he mentioned that he was not only some kinda' general in some kinda' fantastical army, but that he has about a gazillion god-like family members and a wife that can eat coal and excrete diamonds. Little Billy ain't no fool, so I guess I'll humble myself before the omnipotence before me and crawl back under my rock. Love and kisses for the kid,BRKPS: Unfortunately I never do learn from mistakes so if it does come to a head and yer man forces my hand I'll get you first, seein' as how all powerfull he says ya' are. Remember, no mage can protect herself all the time. I fight dirty if I have ta' babe...don't make me have ta'.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:48 pm

Date: 10/17/97 12:06 PM Pacific Standard Time

( Not a post... and also, just a joke. Personally, I love this kind of RPing. )::Reads over Billy's reply and considers a little bit of pre-emptive mayhem.:: What do you think Delilah?
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:48 pm

Date: 10/18/97 10:17 AM Pacific Standard Time

>>PS: Unfortunately I never do learn from mistakes so if it does come to a head and yer man forces my hand I'll get you first, seein' as how all powerfull he says ya' are. Remember, no mage can protect herself all the time. I fight dirty if I have ta' babe...don't make me have ta'.<<

::a note found, suitably enough, on Billy Ray's pillow::

Billy Ray:
Ever threaten my wife and family again, and I'll do my damndest to loose your head from your shoulders. Just like that.
It's only my sense of deceny that will allow you a honorable match in that.. but should a hair on my wife or daughters head be harmed, you'll find another note like this. And then I'll bring the roof down on you.

::written in Billy's trademark red crayola, which is left snapped on the pillow::
-Perrinis