Opal Rank/Powers

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Opal Rank/Powers

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:38 am

Date: 10/24/1997 4:36 PM Central Standard Time

(This was written up by RDI Tex, who is unable to post at this time. Both of us would like to once again thank everyone whose ideas and time made this possible. Your efforts are greatly appreciated).

When the concept of a new rank was kicked around a year ago in the Duel of Fists, many ideas were brought forth. It all started with a rules discussion that took place over the AOL List serve and every person that signed up to be part of the discussions had an opportunity to voice his or her opinion on the subject. It was Gamelord03 who originally gave us the title of Opal and since then many other key people have been involved in the slow
transformation of the Opals from idea to reality.

When RDI Ringo started up the rules discussion again, the idea of the Opals resurfaced. This time Jake suggested that we not only think of the Opals as an opportunity to expand our ranks but as a means to further role-play within our area. Again the issues was debated and molded and formed further. This time a "newer" generation of DoF'ers offered their input and perspective.

The Opal rank was passed during the rules discussion but in it's haste to be added with all the other rules changes the broad expanse of role play for the Opals was lost. It once again was picked up by several RDI's whose thoughts, time, and efforts, coupled with some great patron suggestions helped form what you see below. I would like to thank those involved for all the time and effort they gave and continue to give to be sure that this is
something that is a positive force for all of us.

This is not a finished work. In the coming days you will see more information, more background, and more depth. But because these are very core principals we offer them to you now. No doubt some of these things will change and hopefully improve.

((INFO ON OPAL POWERS))

Opal powers are divided into two portions. The two portions being Minor and Major powers. The minor powers were considered to be uses outside of the ring, possibly in the individual Opals storyline or could be shown at times when they were not dueling. The major power is usually reflective of a in the ring ability

The Black Opal- ShadoWeaver

Minor/Major
Create Darkness/Confuse

By using ShadoWeaver's power the opal can make about a basketball size globe of darkness or use several smaller forms of darkness that would add up to roughly that amount.

Possible Uses-

The user of ShadoWeaver's minor power can use this power to blind an opponent for a limited time (roughly a minute to 30 seconds the longer the amount used the less time you have). It can also be used to hide various items from view.

The user of ShadoWeaver's major power has the ability to create several "Shadow" forms of themselves that have the ability to confuse and misdirect their opponent. The use of this power is incredibly draining and should be used with caution as it requires great deals of the Opal's concentration to not only perfect and land the move that will score but to control the various shadow forms that are seeking to confuse the opponent as well.

The Green Opal- Pathfinder

Minor/Major

Animation/Camouflage

The user of Pathfinder's minor power has the ability to animate *small* plants (ones no bigger the ferns) to do his/her bidding. They could be used to heckle an opponent by distracting them or to use their fronds and such to retrieve items pass mugs of ale etc. The power is only useful for brief periods of time (again the larger the plant the less time you have).

The user of Pathfinder's major power has the ability to slip through walls or objects that were are or were at one time animate. I.E. the Opal could slip easily through a wooden wall or another dueler because they are living objects. They would not be able to pass through things such as stone steel. Also if used at the wrong moment it is possible for the user to miss on a winning strike or cause themselves a misstep and fall.

The Blue Opal- Icedancer

Minor/Major
(De)Hydrate/Ice Form

The user of Icedancer's minor power has the ability to control small amounts of water (No more then 5 gallons) and cause it either to appear or disappear at will. Water could be used for drinking, a distraction or dumping it on someone's head .

The user of Icedancer's major power has the ability to control the structure of their own body so it becomes as hard as ice. Useful for either offensive or defensive attacks it also has the drawback of greatly reducing the speed of the user leaving them open for possible counterattack.

The Red Opal- FireStar

Minor/Major

Firebuilding/Flamestrike

The user of Firestar's minor power has the ability to create small amounts of fire that are no bigger then an average cook-fire. The flame can be projected up to a range of about five feet. It can be used to burn through ropes, light cigars and what have you.

The user of Firestar's major power has the ability to create a large force of flame that can encircle their body. Punching forward with the intensity of flame to cause damage to their opponent

The Yellow Opal- Moonberyl

Minor/Major

Levitate/Feathertouch

The user of Moonberyl's minor power has the ability to levitate small objects. We're not talking about couches and tables-more like glasses, coins, etc. Small things so you can bring things to you instead of having to go to them.

The user of Moonberyl's power has the ability to "feathertouch." In essence, things that normally weigh a lot (like Jake) will seem rather light. You can flip people much easier, and pick them up without struggling too much as well. However, forgetting this power may cause the bearer of the Opal to fall or end up off balance as they expect things to be heavier than they seem to be.

I would like to add on a more personal note a few thoughts on this…

First of all this is a role play forum. We all play a matrix based fighting game called the Duel of Fists, but without the depths of our imaginations and the creativity of all our patrons we are doing nothing but throwing worthless numbers back and forth in instant messages. Without the illusion of what the Outback is and its sound and feel we are staring at nothing but a computer screen not extending our own creativity.

I did not vote the Opal rank through so I could give myself a title or so I could point to myself and say I am better then you. I voted the Opal rank in because I wanted it to help extend my mind and imagination in this magical place called RhyDin. I don't care who has the hardest punch or who wins the most. It is the people that have a passion for playing characters diverse and full of life, to feel their thoughts and emotions as much as I could
feel my own; to extend a part of myself to a level as a "mundane" I could never hope to achieve. I want to be able to see my character and others I interact with as clearly as if I was shown a picture.

The Opal in my hope in part will be able to extend that vision and make it a reality.

The danger in creating a rank like this is you have people that solely wish to win. DoF is a game and there are gamers who are looking solely to win a victory. There is nothing wrong with wanting to achieve and to win we all wish this, but when victory becomes the sole reason for our attendance part of the illusion dies, part of the fun dies. It has happened somewhat already; it is not anyone or any group's fault, it is just the way things
sometimes go but it has cost us some of our older players and a few of our bright up and comers.

We all have it in our ability to change this. I am not preaching about how we should make DoF the way it "used to be" I am talking about making DoF the way we *want* it to be the way it *could* be. I know there are those of you out there busting your tails to make this happen and to you I say thank you. I know there are some of you out there ready to jump ship because you fear what DoF has/will become. To you I say nothing will or can change
without your influence and fighting for what you believe in. You may think it is a hopeless task but if others see your effort they will carry the load with you. There are also those who are detracting from the fun and play of others. To those folks I say this, you get out what you put in. Without giving your all you will soon be dueling by yourself. Even the hardest fighters will give up when they see you do not care to learn.

So what does this mean for Opal? What do all these decision and long-winded concepts mean? To me they mean you think out the role-play reasons behind your challenge, do not challenge because it is "there" and yes the desire to win in my eyes is a valid reason as long is it is *role-played* out. Show your characters desire to win and their feelings to do so. If you have a humble character why the heck are they suddenly so concerned with a title? If
you have a brash loudmouth character who thinks (s)he is the greatest, then show it in the room through good *role-play*. I am not asking or expecting novels (although there is always room on the DoF boards for character's stories) but just a little more thought then you character saying "I wanna win."

Simply by doing this little bit everyone benefits. People can find out and interact with your character, creating the illusion of vibrant active people who have lives and stories to tell rather then a group of folks sitting tallying up numbers on a worthless meter. As someone who has been around for a little while, I can tell you from experience that interesting characters are remembered far more often then frequent winners. I really ask you to
consider that when you're deciding what direction you want to take yourself in the duels.

In the end, no one can tell you what to do or how to play. Everyone will do as they wish and I am not blaming anyone for anything. I am saying what I want to get out of the Duel of Fists. I know what has been rewarding for me, I want everyone to have the opportunity to play together and experience the fun that this has given me. I want the best for myself and for all of you as well and am hoping that this suggestion of the Opals might do just
that.

Thanks for reading this far,

"Man I hope this works."- RDI Tex