Rask's Response to the Blue Opal

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Rask's Response to the Blue Opal

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:40 pm

Date: 7/31/1998 12:08 AM Central Daylight Time

((Author's note: Please read the OOC post, regarding the Blue Opal, located in the OOC/Guestbook Thread before adding to this SL in any way. Thanks.))

::Slowly, Rask steps up to the Supervisor's podium. He knew that the crowd gathered here all had an interest in the matter of the Blue Opal. He takes a moment to collect himself and then begins to speak.::

People of Rhydin, it has been nearly two weeks since the Diamond Quest. I have spent my time since then trying to convince myself that the events of that night did not really happen.

::there is a long pause::

But they did. The Blue Opal is gone and there is nothing I or anyone can do about it.What I can do is work on insuring that nothing like this can ever happen again. I have hired a team of the best demolitionists and scientists in Rhydin. I have also gathered the top Mages from not only Rhydin, but the known universe. They are all working together to find a way to protect the remaining four Opals. All I can do is keep everyone updated on their progress.

Now... to address the individual who perpetrated this act. Shannon Colton's name has already been removed from the Standings by her request. I have considered banning her from the Outback. This is the second time I know of that she has retired in a fit. When you take into account her actions with the Blue Opal, it would seem that I have no choice but to ban her. But... I am not banning her. So... what punishment does she receive, you might ask? The only one that suits her actions. The very punishment she brought upon herself. I will never look at Shanni's 134 Wins over Losses in the same way again. She has tainted each one of those wins in a way that she can never undo. For all of her lofty words... for all of her posturing and righteous thoughts, she has gained nothing. She could think of nothing better,nothing more poignant than destroying an Opal. How unoriginal... How sad that a person who speaks about the Good of the game can, in the end, only destroy a part of it. I know that my words will mean nothing to Shanni herself. And that is okay. Because, Shanni now means nothing to me. Her hollow words mean nothing to anyone because her actions have proven her to be little more than an ill tempered thug, incapable of doing anything but deprive the community of something they hold dear. That is Shanni's punishment and I hope... no... I *know* she will be able to live with it. She has always deluded herself into believing she was more important than she actually was. And she always will. And that is the worst punishment I can imagine.

::with that Rask walks away from the podium and returns to his office to check on the progress with the remaining Opals. The scribe who was sitting off to the left finishes his writing. After preparing the document, he posts the record upon the message boards for those who were not there.::

RDI Rask
DoF Supervisor
DoF Archive
Archivist

Amongst the Crowd

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:40 pm

Date: 7/31/1998 5:57 PM Central Daylight Time

The hooded figure observed the man's speech on the stone baring Shiva. He furrowed his brow, the loss of the blue stone had brought him to Rhydin in the first place. His fellow monks having sent him from their homeland of Tsunj to protect and observe the stones. Having learned they were being used as mere prizes in a large fighting circut had distressed the Kaiolin monk at first, but soon, hisplans had formed. He would offer his services to the circut, in hopes to either change their minds about the stones... or to merely protect them through their forced endevor. Either way, Aki would insure no other Opal fell to the fate of Shiva's vessle. When the speech was over and the crowd began to break up into private conversations, or the trek home, Aki weaved through the diminishing gathering. Trying not to draw much attention to his person, he had not been accepted as a being of worth it appeared his first night in Rhydin. Having been attack by a fellow fighter, he supposed it was the lack of rule, or honor and values he had been warned about when coming into the large city. Clearing the crowd with only a few bumps and 'Hey watch it!'s Aki continued on his way home, vaguely pondering the means of acception within the rings.