DoS Archive
Archivist

Skinning cats

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:40 pm

Date: 11 Jul 2001 10:31:46 EDT

"There's more than one way to skin a cat."

"You know that's morbid, right?"

"Only if you're a cat person."

She could only shake her head as she placed a few gold on the counter to pay for the items they accumulated by wandering through the small shop. It was a motley mound of random things, few people would realize that some of the ingredients could be compiled into anything as deadly as they would be compiled to form.

The kindly old shopkeep patted her hand sympathetically, he was obviously a cat person. A few silvers were returned and the items placed into a small woven bag before he spoke a "good evening and fare thee well".

"So, you're sure you're up to this, Red?"

"When am I not? And do you really want to test me first?" As she spoke a ghost of a smile lingered on her lips, they knew each other well, but the game was still amusing.

His hands flew up in a protective manner, "By sweet Belthross, take mercy upon me!"

"I'll take many things upon you, especially if they involve cookies," she didn't need to look to know he'd be blushing clear to his brows. She swung leg up and over to sit comfortably on the Harley, righting it and turning it over, the engine started with a satisfying roar.

"I'll be sure to get the milk as well, Red. But until then, onward to skin the cat."His bike flared to life beside her and they took off down a road beaten down by the passage of thousands of carts and horses.

The sunset was beautiful, but that wasn't what she had her eye on for her destination was in sight. It was an old town with a mix of folk more diverse than anywhere else she had ever visited. It called her back, much like flowers drew a bee, and she couldn't bear to have anything have a hold on her. She believed, if in nothing else, to take action against things that she couldn't bear.