Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Speaking with Stones (Yuri Wynterhawk

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Nov 10, 2004 7:23 pm

Date: 09 Aug 2001 13:26:47 EDT

Speaking with stones
Yuri Wynterhawk

Her face tilted forward causing an avalanche of hair to surround her face, it was a deliberate move to hide her features. It was unlikely that anyone here would remember her, as she was not outspoken when last she roamed this area. Her features were pleasant enough, but in a town of surpassingly beautiful women
her high cheekbones and almond shaped eyes were nothing to spout poetry over.
This cavern had drawn her, the stones remembered blood, and she could here them speak. Slender fingers brushed against the closest outcropping to strengthen the sensation of memory. It had been shaped, and worked, but not covered or replaced by wooded structures.
Joy... anger... love... defeat...
pride... arrogance... malevolence...
victory...
The voices crowded her mind and she nearly fell to her knees. So many faces with the strength of will to imprint upon the stones themselves. "Could one place draw so many for a game?" Her question was spoken silently in her thoughts, a habit she had long ago adopted as the need for secrecy became apparent.
"There must be something more to this place, but these memories, they hold the frayed edges of time." She pressed her palm firmly against the cool surface, feeling the small imperfections that gave it character and concentrated. "Have I found my destination too late?" The thought made her breath catch in her throat, her heart pounded loudly in her ears.
"No!" Yuri exclaimed aloud her heart felt denial. "I will not be cheated now. I can not."
Her hand fell to rest upon her hip, and her chin lifted to take one more glance around before she turned and slowly ventured deeper into the caverns below this strange, strange place.