Inertia

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Inertia

Post by DoS Archive » Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:39 pm

Date: 19 Feb 2002 00:59:31 EST

"Mister Sigurd, will that be all?"

Moments passed before Remy even acknowledged the question, and then it was to simply lift one hand with his index finger raised to indicate a delayed response was coming. With his other hand, he turned to the next page in the slim black binder laying flat on the mahogany desk in front of him. A sweeping glance over the document caught the keypoints, although he would study it in greater detail later.

Reaching the end of the proposal, Remy turned his gaze up towards the young man standing alongside the desk. "Yes, Tom, that's all. Make sure you get those estimates faxed back to Renee immediately. She'll be expecting them."

Although he had traveled from the main offices to personally oversee the new project, he still had to handle the activities of the other branches of the corporation. He had left his most capable officers in charge, but he made it a point to maintain contact with each department on a regular basis. The equipment he had brought with him allowed him to log in to the intranet and have full access as if he had never left.

"I'll do that first thing," his assistant replied, deftly thumbing through the stack of folders he held until finding those very documents. "When do you think we'll have our offices built here?"

"I'm not sure yet," Remy replied. "I'm still deciding on where it should be located. Once that's done, I already have a contractor lined up." A small smile formed on his lips, his hands retracting to rest on the bulky armrests of his chair, "With the arrangement I made, it will not take very long to construct the building."

Tom echoed his boss's smile, adding a light chuckle as he shifted the bulky documents to his other hand, "I'll be glad when that's done. I'm getting tired of working out of my bedroom."

The four people that accompanied Remy had been forced to begin their new assignments from the hotel rooms they had rented. Although they were spacious enough to be comfortable, even Remy had to admit that he was looking forward to having a larger office to work in.

The young CEO merely nodded in agreement, his eyes descending back towards the small stack of papers on one corner of his desk. An unfamiliar document caught his attention, one that was handwritten instead of the usual typed text. "What's this?" he mused as he reached for the paper.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I almost forgot. I've gotten a few calls from some of our local sources recently," Tom piped in. "It looks like there's a certain person or group that's been contacting many other parties. I'm not sure what exactly it is, but it sounds like somebody is trying to find information on something. Or someone."

Remy read the notes on the paper as he listened. Source names, times, and the topics of the calls were listed chronologically. He came to the same conclusion that Tom had. He opened up one of the desk drawers and slid the sheet inside, "Keep me informed if you hear anything else."

"You got it," Tom answered. "I'm going to go send these papers. Is it all right if I go out for a short while and pick up some things?"

"Certainly. Check back with me when you return, I may have some more tasks for you," Remy leaned back in his chair, lightly pressing the fingertips of both of his hands together.

Tom nodded once and walked out of the small room. A few moments later, Remy heard the click of the door shutting, notifying him that he was once again alone in the hotel room.

His gaze drifted back towards the binder on his desk, the proposal from one of his executives that he was about to delve into. He couldn't help but turn his eyes momentarily to the drawer containing the handwritten notes Tom had delivered.

He had already decided to get in touch with some of his more personal contacts to see if he could learn more. Perhaps they could provide more information than his assistant was able to gather so far.

Dismissing the subject for the time being, Remy exhaled a soft breath before reaching for the black binder.