Overlord Match -- Official Announcement

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Overlord Match -- Official Announcement

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:05 pm

Date: 23 Dec 2002 01:34:51 EST

Greetings to the Duel of Swords community!

The match between Warlord Dalila and our dueling proxy to decide who shall bear the title of Overlord shall take place on Monday, December 30th. We have reserved the officiating services of Var Medici-Giovanni for the event. Festivities are set to begin at 9:00 (EST) in the Duel of Swords Arena. The match will be conduct in a Best of Three format.

Everyone is urged to attend!

The Blindfold Office of Events
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 23 Dec 2002 06:08:03 EST

With the match specifics now proclaimed by the Overlord's dueling agency, I hereby officially announce:

Andur Salsinger, Baron of the Fifth Ring and victor of the most recent Warlord's Tournament, shall be my second.

Sir Robert Knight, most noble of Warlords and a bastion of good against any encroaching evil, shall be my Lord of Honor and Shieldbearer.

I shall duel beneath the colors red, for the fire which warms those of honorable spirit and engulfs the treacherous to remove them as obstacles to the Light; blue, for the water which bathes and quenches the thirst of innocents and the ice that shall trap those of darkness in its unyielding grip, to be smashed by the hammers and swords of Heaven's warriors; and light yellow, in graciousness and respect to the power of the lightning Nature's sky wields with ferocious vengeance upon those who would harm her respectful children.

Should there be no objection, I would duel in memory of young Charlie Jericho, as well. Admittedly, I did not know her, save for seeing her in passing many months previous. However, all young people deserve an opportunity to grow and take their proper journey through life, something she was denied by the forces which hold the Duels hostage. Her death, which, to my sadness, occured no more than a few hours after my own departure from the Arena that night, caused a spark in the local rumor mills. What had been mutterings of conspiracy became shouts of grief, anger, and blame, without which I may have never been sufficiently moved to enter the Tournament and investigate.

I cannot say if the Overlord is involved with the forces that caused this tragedy. What is clear beyond doubt is that, even if innocent, the Overlord is not committed to finding the guilty and bringing them to justice. This cannot continue. If the Light sees fit to guide my hand toward victory, it will provide meaning to a young woman's premature death and rest to her spirit, which is all we can give her now.

~Dalila~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 26 Dec 2002 18:33:33 EST

>Should there be no objection, I would duel in memory of young Charlie
>Jericho, as well. Admittedly, I did not know her, save for seeing her in
>passing many months previous. However, all young people deserve an
>opportunity to grow and take their proper journey through life, something she
>was denied by the forces which hold the Duels hostage. Her death, which, to
>my sadness, occured no more than a few hours after my own departure from the
>Arena that night, caused a spark in the local rumor mills. What had been
>mutterings of conspiracy became shouts of grief, anger, and blame, without
>which I may have never been sufficiently moved to enter the Tournament and
>investigate.

I would say that I object, seein' as you didn't know Char at all and I'm pretty sure she didn't know you since the rest of us (meaning the Crew) don't. But, seein' as you mean well I guess I can't argue. Although, since she was one of my good friends and I've actually felt the repercussions of the Ward failing (in my challenge with Nick) I have to give you the nod on this one, lady.

I'd also object to you duelin' for Char based on the simple facts that you don't know exactly what happened that night and why Charlie died. If you did, you'd probably wouldn't have said that. But at the risk of stirrin' up a tabloid scandal around here, that ain't none of your business or anyone elses. Add to that the fact that you're goin' at this simply because of a couple of "rumors" and your challenge looks pretty hollow an' empty to me. Not that there's nothin' wrong with a hollow challenge, there's just somethin' wrong with it when you try an' mask it as a "noble cause" when you really ain't got one damned reason for challengin'. I don't think that's what you're doin', and like I said, I think you mean well so I'm gonna give you the nod on this one.

If this whole thing is the Overlord's fault, then I really wish it was me standin' where you were 'bout 3 weeks ago, but I had my shot. But unlike you, an' everyone else, I'm waitin' 'til I see some concrete proof. After all, the Overlord works for a competing dueling estabishment, anyone ever think that maybe that establishment has more to do with this than the actual Overlord? And if you did, would removing the Overlord from the Title actually help the situation?

Oh yeah, and if anyone's got a problem with what I said, you know where to find me. Everyone who knows me knows I got a thin' for not backin' down from anyone or anythin'.

Tical M. Carter
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:06 pm

Date: 26 Dec 2002 22:17:44 EST

I gotta problem with it too.

cg
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:06 pm

Date: 26 Dec 2002 23:12:18 EST

Dalila,

Ya asked if there would be no objection ta dueling in the memory of Char. I'll be honest, I gotta agree with a lot of things Tic said.

If anyone should be dueling in memory of Charlie Jericho, it should be those who knew her well and knew what happened that night.

I know ya mean well, and I thank ya for the idea, but I really think it should be one of us and not some random passer-by.

Ria Graziano
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:07 pm

Date: 27 Dec 2002 00:22:16 EST

Not to speak for the lady Dalila, but I believe if any of you have a problem with Dalila's reasons, that is not of her concern. It is my belief you should all keep your objections to yourselves until the matter is settled. It does nothing but sully the challenge. Or at least have respect to bring this to her in person and not publicly across the cork.

If any of you wanted to duel with those reasons, perhaps you should have won the tournament. However, you did not, and fate has appointed her as challenger. Do not take away from her accomplishments or right to challenge simply because you could not accomplish what she did.

There is no hollow challenge here. If I had challenged, then such could be said. I am quite disappointed an attempt would be made to tarnish the challenger who offered just reasons so soon before the match.

Andur Salsinger
Baron of the Fifth
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:07 pm

Date: 27 Dec 2002 02:55:09 EST

Andur Salsinger,

No one has questioned Dalila's reasons for challenging nor attempted to sully the challenge itself. Dalila said, "Should there be no objection, I would duel in memory of young Charlie Jericho, as well." Thus we are simply hearing objections not to her challenging the Overlord, but to her dueling in memory of the late Charlie Jericho; for the question has arisen whether or not Dalila has any memory of Charlie at all.

Deluthan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:08 pm

Date: 27 Dec 2002 06:51:56 EST

It is all right, Andur. Your words are appreciated, but there is no need to defend my statements. To the rest, I have read your words; please allow me to explain the impetus behind mine.

As I have stated, I do not know all the facts of what has transpired recently. I am aware that the Ward has had drastic failures, and that those failures have claimed at least one life. Several rumors suggest the Overlord's involvement, which demands investigation. Although I have considered it my duty to seek answers, by no means does this equate a direct accusation leveled at him or his dueling organization.

As I have stated, however, should he not be guilty, I remain troubled by the apparent lack of action he has decided to take in searching out the root of this evil and bringing the situation to a satisfactory resolution. I find the odds of literally no one in or around the Duels being aware of any steps he has taken in this respect slim enough to act as sufficient grounds in believing none have been taken whatsoever. If I seem unsympathetic towards this 'Blindfold', or their proxy, it is due to the fact that in no way does it appear any actions are being taken by him, or them, to benefit the general patronage of the Duels.

As for your assertion that my challenge is hollow, please do not forget that it is not something which could have waited. Those present at the Tournament's end may recall I spoke of preference for the Baron's Ring, not the unimpeded and immediate challenge. The reason is twofold. I presume a title would grant greater influence, which would in turn aid investigation into determining the Overlord's part in the Ward's failures, and thus whether or not an attempt should be made to remove him from power; it is also, admittedly, the more pragmatic choice. Were I to decide a challenge, such as a Baron's Ring allows for, should be brought, and failed, I would hold the opportunity to make another attempt later.

The fates decreed I should have the immediate challenge, however. Your suggestion that I am merely placing a facade of honor over empty intent, while perhaps somewhat understandable given the circumstances, is incorrect. I strive to conduct myself with honor and righteousness at all times, especially in situations where the power of Light must eventually triumph. I do not seek glory, wealth, or titles for their own sake; they are occasional byproducts of successfully serving the cause of good, but it is that cause which drives me, nothing else.

To the more delicate matter of your friend, Charlie. I cannot claim more than a rememberance of who she was. I also cannot claim detailed knowledge as to the circumstances surrounding her death. I state only the facts, as I know them; that she dueled and suffered mortal injury in the process. I hold no intentions of prying into further specifics. I have heard nothing to suggest I am incorrect in believing the recent failure of the Ward is responsible for her sustaining, and retaining, the injuries which caused her demise. The only information I would request is that which is contrary to the above statement.

My intention to duel in her memory was made because I was unsure who her friends were, and how many may be involved in the Duels; in short, who might be willing, able, and more suited to carry out such a task. It is obvious now that those friends exist, and as such, I recant my statement. I did not desire to 'carry the torch' myself, as it were, so much as I felt it right to make certain somebody did.

If I caused undue tension and hostile emotion, I humbly apologize. Should you wish to flog me with barbed words for putting such emphasis on discovering information regarding the Ward that I failed to seek even the simplest details of her life, you may. I offer myself freely for such treatment. The error was mine, and I shall stand by it as closely as I would my greatest achievements.

~Dalila~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:08 pm

Date: 27 Dec 2002 18:29:11 EST

>Not to speak for the lady Dalila, but I believe if any of you have a problem
>with Dalila's reasons, that is not of her concern. It is my belief you should
>all keep your objections to yourselves until the matter is settled. It does
>nothing but sully the challenge. Or at least have respect to bring this to
>her in person and not publicly across the cork.
>
>If any of you wanted to duel with those reasons, perhaps you should have won
>the tournament. However, you did not, and fate has appointed her as
>challenger. Do not take away from her accomplishments or right to challenge
>simply because you could not accomplish what she did.
>
>There is no hollow challenge here. If I had challenged, then such could be
>said. I am quite disappointed an attempt would be made to tarnish the
>challenger who offered just reasons so soon before the match.
>
>Andur Salsinger
>Baron of the Fifth
>

First of all, let's be crystal clear here so there ain't no more mistakes:

You said if we have a problem with Dalila's reasons it's not her problem.

She said that if there's no objection she would like to duel for Char's memory.

I said that I had an objection to it, but I support here challenge.

Second of all, how is it not her problem? She was the one who basically asked if she could duel for Char's memory if no one had a problem with it. I was just saying that I had a problem with it since I know just a little bit more about Char's memory than she did. If someone asks for something and you respond to them, isn't that their problem?

Third of all, I said that it wasn't a hollow challenge. I said that I don't think that's what this lady was doing. I don't know how to put this in a more polite way but you should go back and read what I actually wrote. Hell, I even said that I had my shot like you did. There's no malice here, I want this lady to win.

So before anyone else says anything here's what I mean in a simple-like format for you so there's no confusion or people paraphrasing what I said again:

I like Dalila. I think she means well. She asked if there was an objection to her dueling for Charlie's memory and I said that I don't think she should since she doesn't know all that much about Char's memory or the circumstances surrounding the night she died. I hope she's victorious in her challenge, my only beef was the reason she was dueling.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:09 pm

Date: 27 Dec 2002 18:30:06 EST

>Andur Salsinger,
>
>No one has questioned Dalila's reasons for challenging nor attempted to sully
>the challenge itself. Dalila said, "Should there be no objection, I would
>duel in memory of young Charlie Jericho, as well." Thus we are simply hearing
>objections not to her challenging the Overlord, but to her dueling in memory
>of the late Charlie Jericho; for the question has arisen whether or not
>Dalila has any memory of Charlie at all.
>
>Deluthan
>
>
>
>
>

Or hell, I coulda just said what Deluthan was sayin'. That's exactly what I meant.

Tical M. Carter
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 27 Dec 2002 18:37:04 EST

Okay for the record, this is what I did say:

"Add to that the fact that you're goin' at this simply because of a couple of
"rumors" and your challenge looks pretty hollow an' empty to me. Not that
there's nothin' wrong with a hollow challenge, there's just somethin' wrong
with it when you try an' mask it as a "noble cause" when you really ain't got
one damned reason for challengin'. I don't think that's what you're doin',
and like I said, I think you mean well so I'm gonna give you the nod on this
one. "

I don't think your challenge is hollow. I never said that, the above vouches for that. I don't even know where anyone got these crazy impressions. Anyway, Good luck. I'm done now. If no one understands what I was saying clearly now, they never will.

Tical M. Carter
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 27 Dec 2002 18:37:04 EST

Okay for the record, this is what I did say:

"Add to that the fact that you're goin' at this simply because of a couple of
"rumors" and your challenge looks pretty hollow an' empty to me. Not that
there's nothin' wrong with a hollow challenge, there's just somethin' wrong
with it when you try an' mask it as a "noble cause" when you really ain't got
one damned reason for challengin'. I don't think that's what you're doin',
and like I said, I think you mean well so I'm gonna give you the nod on this
one. "

I don't think your challenge is hollow. I never said that, the above vouches for that. I don't even know where anyone got these crazy impressions. Anyway, Good luck. I'm done now. If no one understands what I was saying clearly now, they never will.

Tical M. Carter
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 28 Dec 2002 17:55:30 EST

I was there when the sad event of charlie Jericho passing. Them Dalila came in we
talked. enuff
said..

Sir Robert
warlord
last knight of the Holy Order.