A pressing matter

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:15 pm

Date: 19 Feb 2003 21:29:40 EST

But going back, I take this from the official post of the events the evening Drachen was banished to renegade.

"The Baron claimed (and the Overlord admitted) that Arithon would be breaking an oath if he declined to step in against the challenger, and Arithon offered at the end of the match, if he was still Baron, to banish him to renegade and not use any test should Drachen challenge."

It may just be me, but oath-breaking is not honorable to me. It seems Arithon broke an oath with a loyal baron, so I don't find much reason to trust a word this guy says.

-Rix
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 19 Feb 2003 21:47:28 EST

Rix,

Shortly after I gave challenge t'Drachen, the baron petitioned fer loyal status an' was accepted. Well prior t'the actual match, though, the Overlord requested t'the Baron tha' 'e not ask for intercession.

Arithon and I became members o' the Golden House before he became Overlord and before I challenged Drachen. Settin' aside our close friendship, when we became Housemates we took an oath no' t'raise blades against one another. This oath tha' he made t'me an' the other members o' the Golden House was taken well before his oath t'the barons wha' claimed loyalty t'his mantle.

When the time fer challenge came, Drachen went against the Overlord's request an' asked fer intercession. Thus, the Overlord 'ad t'break an oath. Either he interceded an' broke 'is oath t'the Golden House or he did no' intercede an' broke an oath to a loyal baron. It was a tough predicament. Arithon made 'is choice. If'n ye dinna like it; if'n ye dinna like the fact tha' he's Overlord, then you know wha' t'do.

Hold Fast,

Grayson MacLeod.

Holder of IceDancer.

Warlord of the Duel of Swords.

Past Keeper of Water.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 20 Feb 2003 00:43:17 EST

>According to the published standings, at no time was Baron Cassius Maximius
>ever Loyal to Arithon prior to his request to be so aligned.

Blame Gnort! I asked him and he said it.

Or blame my publicist.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:16 pm

Date: 20 Feb 2003 01:59:50 EST

"Now, it seems your regard for me sinks lower day by day. You make it sound as if I backed out of a challenge simply because I wanted Noelle to like me.

Oddly enough, at the time you seemed to understand the true intention of my remarks on that occasion, namely that I had no wish to press a challenge which would cause ill feeling in the household of one whom I considered a friend."

I was responding to Sprite's spindoctoring that Noelle had made you promise that you would not challenge me. And yes, you declined challenging again because you didn't want ill feeling. I said in my post at the time, you didn't want someone mad at you.
As to how I regard you. I do feel you mean well and are a good duelist. However, I also believed you didn't have the fortitude to tell Cas to get lost when I believe you should have; when you're the Overlord, it is with my belief that you must make a stand. When you declined Cas' realignment and also when you responded to my unkind rhetoric, you earned my respect more than the many months I have known you. And that's because we both deserve to be told off by you.
As for me being your friend, that's not for me to answer. I'm the one on the offensive here, and I simply speak out what I think is wrong, friend or foe. My past actions have dictated such. Plus, I can't stand it when someone does something that is offensive but hide behind the "I'm still your friend!" defense. The question, Arithon, is if you see me as a friend now. Have my intentions and actions warranted me to be considered a friend?

Var Medici-Giovanni

Proud Father, Proud Husband