Tass and the Second.

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Tass and the Second.

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:59 pm

Date: 17 Apr 2003 00:04:50 EDT

Jaycy frowned as she looked around after exiting the Red Dragon Inn.  Cas and the turkomen carrying Tass following closely behind, pausing as she flagged down a waiting carriage-for-hire.  The tired, broken nag plodded resignedly toward the group, and the driver scowled down at the gypsy.  "Tha many?  Ge' in, then."  He remained at his perch, forcing Jaycy to open the door and wave her companions in first.  Cas glanced up at the driver, then stepped into the carriage silently.  Jaycy called up to the man, "Emerald Estates, just drive."  His scowl deepened, but he nodded after she tossed a fat pouch up to his seat before climbing in and shutting the door.

The fit within the shabby, dirty carriage was tight, and Jaycy half-sat on her SwordBrother's lap as it began to slowly move.  The horse, of advanced years, picked her way over the cobbled streets, and no amount of urging or beating could convince her to move any faster. They moved out of the city at that steady pace, and after some time they approached the forest.  Those within remained silent, Jaycy looking out the small square in the door that served as a window.  She sighed, glancing toward Tass a moment, then turned her attention back to the view. 

The sudden stop of the carriage alerted them to their arrival at the Estates.  Jaycy was the first to scramble out, and she held the door for the others.  Cas and the turkomen emerged one by one, moving a little away from the carriage to allow the next person out.  Tass was cradled gently as Jaycy closed the door, then called up to the man.  "We'll be back."  His nod was grudging, but he busied himself by counting his gold.  The gypsy looked to the others, then nodded and moved to the front entrance.  Cas walked alongside her, one hand on the hilt of his gladius.

Almost immediately after knocking on the door, they were admitted.  Tass was taken away, and one of the lads moved toward Jaycy, offering first a shy smile and then a letter.  She gave a puzzled look, then at his urging, took it.  Quickly opening the letter, she scanned over it and frowned.  Shaking her head, she passed it over to Cas to read, who paled as he went over the words.  She whispered to the lad, who nodded then dashed off.  A moment later, he was back and holding something, which she took, slipping it into her pocket.  Cas frowned, his hand shaking slightly as he held the letter.  "We have to warn people."  She nodded, then looked to the turkomen.  "Shall we, gentlemen?"  They watched her, and she chuckled softly before leading them out.

The ride back was as slow and tense as the ride to the Estates, with each member of the group silent.  Once they'd been dropped at the Red Dragon Inn, Jaycy and Cas thanked the turkomen before moving into the basement once more.  Tass's letter was quickly posted, and Jaycy held on to the item she'd been given.  She'd give it to Nych or Stormi when she saw them next.  With a sigh, she and Cas went off, to talk. 

Jaycy,
         Don't ask how it is known that you would be the one to bring me back, nor how it is I know that Cass is terrified at the scars which are appearing from ages long past.  Upon finding this, remove the Second from my finger and place it in Stormi's hands.  I can no longer bear it for it is the cause of all that has transpired with me and is the reason for my odd behavior these past few months. 
         The illness which AJ suffered from so many years ago was not one which is easily answered, but that illness does lies withing the 2nd Ring.  Because of my desire to hold the 2nd, the illness took hold of me harder and quicker than it did AJ, but the illness is the same.  For those that choose to hold the 2nd from henceforth, may the Gods be with them.
         To those of you who think it so, I am not dead, though I know some out there wish it so.  With time, and care, I will return.. but it will be a while.  So, with this, I will leave you to your own conclusions.

~John Tasslehofl Momus