A change in the wind

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

A change in the wind

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:14 pm

Date: 05 Jun 2003 21:07:31 EDT

::Nych sits at his desk his head resting in his palms thumbs pressed to his temples as his elbows press into the hard oak desk top. He knows todays actions will no doubt add to the plethora of mails he is currently deluged with.
Had he known 7 years earlier that he would be sitting here behind the desk once occupied by the likes of Kairee, Lady Helix Gilyan Deverrey Girvin, and Goldendust Evermeadow, he may have reconsidered. He had spent the past two years as part of a commission which afforded him the opportunity to share ideas as well as the responsibility of the actions of decisions made. No longer was there a commission, no longer was there a sounding board to bounce ideas off of. Now he was on the front line, the one who would sink or swim for these decisions -- as well as the person who would be seen as responsible if he failed.
His dilemma was multi faceted, the DoS was struggling, the lads in the Arena were complaining about tips, the bar tabs of those barons and warlords who had moved on to their home lands were left unpaid. Warlords were challenging and winning tournaments and letting the rings fall into limbo leaving him with the monumental decisions of how to keep those rings active.
Many thoughts pressed against the back of his eyes and it was becoming painfully apparent that changes were needed.::
" How?" he asks himself, "How can we improve the community and keep the sport thriving while being abandoned by the king and his resources."
This situation had him tossing in his sleep and dreaming of a world without his beloved sport.
For years he had been complaining about the lack of activity in the ring and the lack of respect for the titles which adorn the standings and little more.
The barons and their highbrow attitudes toward the arena and her occupants.
He was beginning to think they were deliberately staying away so as not to be noticed and perhaps face a challenge which would jeopardize their chance to maintain a historical place for duration.
He knew something had to be done to encourage their activity.
Would this apathy be the lesson taught the new duelers? What of honor, how would these new members of the sport learn of honor if their examples seemingly cower until they are drawn out by a challenge they cannot avoid.
Why, he wonders, do the young ones not keep them challenged so they aren't allowed to hide away.
Change is needed he thinks. There must be a shaking of the branches to chase the chickens from their roosts and prompt the warlords to become actively involved in changing the way things are seen in the rings.
How to do this is the question that keeps him awake.
"Opinions be damned" he blurts, " I may be placing my head on the block for the back biting curs of the duels but this must happen"
::he rises out of the pose and draws the quill from the ink well and begins an announcement for the community::

Lords ladies and entities that occupy the halls of the forum.
I have come to the opinion a change is needed with in the forum that will waken the sleeping spirits of honor and that fighting spirit that dwells within us all.
You have placed your trust in me to handle the matters of official nature with respect to the duels and I am going to attempt to assure you this trust is safe with me.
I care for the duels as much or more than my predecessors and those who duel within the walls of the arena.
I can't sit back and let the apathy I see kill us off like some cancer.
I have spoken to a few trusted friends to see if I am insane or if changes are needed.
I have been told it is both.
See I ask that question again.

The current rule on inactivity for the duels is two full cycles and poof, you are removed. I see, while doing the standings, that a few barons made it in under the wire with one duel for over three months.
I am going to speak to the callers of this sport as a council of sorts and recommend a minimum number of duels by warlords and barons to qualify -- first, to remain barons and second, to qualify for tournament eligibility.
I am also going to suggest that a ring is retired or lost due to a lack of involvement aside from challenge defenses five weeks or further out from a scheduled Warlord Tournament, be placed in an impromptu tournament. Be it a commoners event or a tag team event, it will fill the vacancy as well as involve more duelists.
I wish also to go back to the old format incorporating an assistant coordinator
or supervisor, depending on your choice of verbiage, to carry some of the burden, as well as afford me someone to consult with in matters of great weight.

This assistant will be chosen based on experience, knowledge of the rules and interest in the DoS and it's survival.
This person needs to be a little less impulsive as myself, they should, as well, be respected by the community.
If you have someone you would like to recommend, please send me a letter.
I do not wish to make this a debate as most things become on the cork

Sincerely,
Nycholas DeGyrlinton

::looking the letter over, he hopes it to be readable as well as understandable and walks to the cork where he tacks it in plain view:::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:15 pm

Date: 05 Jun 2003 22:35:54 EDT

"I am going to speak to the callers of this sport as a council of sorts and recommend a minimum number of duels by warlords and barons to qualify -- first, to remain barons and second, to qualify for tournament eligibility."

::scribbled adjacent to this sentence::

Did you have a number in mind?
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 02:05:44 EDT

Well, there be thirteen weeks in a cycle. Seems tae me thet a Baron should duel four tae six times in a cycle. A Warlord who's gonna fight in th' Tourney should duel three tae five times in a cycle.

O' course, th' Overlord should be duelin' jest as often as th' Barons.

Lady Karen Wilder
Knight-Captain of the Order of the Knights Templar
First Catholic Church of Rhy'Din
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 10:15:48 EDT

I think Karen's numbers are reasonable. Four to six times a cycle for a Baron and three for a Warlord wishing to enter a tournament. Some people duel more than that in one single night or weekend.

The Overlord should be a constant presence in the Duel Of Swords, the King of Hill, ready for anybody who challenges him or asks for a simple duel. The Overlord is our biggest symbol and he wears the bigger target. He should be in sight as much as possible.

Amaltea thu-Darelir
Sovereign of Barsi
11th Overlord of DoS
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 11:15:05 EDT

So can we give him one'a them "jus' shoot me now" uniforms?
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 11:23:31 EDT

>So can we give him one'a them "jus' shoot me now" uniforms?

To who? The Overlord? Absolutely!!!

::whistles innocently::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 13:33:36 EDT

These numbers are completely subjective, people. The guy who is in the Arena every night it's open is going to say, "I don't see why asking a minimum of thirteen duels per cycle from a title-holder (one a week, that is) isn't reasonable." The guy who is bound at night by duties elsewhere and is lucky if he can squeeze in a duel a month is going to say, "Nothing more than one duel a cycle would be reasonable to me." I'm with the latter: A minimum of one duel a cycle ensures some sort of activity, and most importantly, it allows the duelist to decide for himself what is a reasonable level of activity. Let personalities rule, I say. Don't buy this whole "fighting spirit" twaddle. In a community as small as the Arena has become, everyone pretty much knows each other already. There's no real fighting here beyond personal squabbling, and if that's your velleity, well, get a job.

Deluthan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:16 pm

Date: 06 Jun 2003 19:26:19 EDT

>The Overlord is our biggest symbol and he wears the bigger target. He should
>be in sight as much as possible.

::whistles and wonders if Billy's got any guns she start cleaning::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 06 Jun 2003 19:32:55 EDT

The four to six minimum for a Baron is incredibly reasonable. Aside from those Barons that win their rings by way of tournament every Baron had to rack up ten peers to challenge for a ring and they most likely had to fight more than ten duels to get those peers. Anyone who can make the time to get a ring should be making the time to show up and participate as well. This one duel a cycle thing is crap. If that's your argument then don't pick up a Baronial ring. Period.

As for Warlords I think the same standards should apply for entry into the WLT because the winner may potentially end up being a title holder. All these people that blow in just for the WLT sure as hell don't have a right to be in it in my eyes. The same standard applies as above. If you know you can't show up on any sort of regular basis or haven't shown up then don't enter the tournament.

~Harris
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 07 Jun 2003 00:36:02 EDT

I had not done the actual break down in my mind as to what constitutes active participation,.
My theory is simple, if you can't duel and be open to duel with your peers, why challenge in the first place?
There are many people who can't earn peer wins due to the lack of active warlords and barons being here consitantly.
Everyone has a life away from the arena, at least I did once. Taking up space on the standings as a baron and not representing the ring is tantamount to having your cake and eating it too.
I wanted you all to be aware that I intend do something more than beg for participation in the rings.
If I am going to call duels and ask those other callers to do it, I expect to find a duel or two of my own when off duty.
Can't do that with everyone popping in when they want to grace us with their presence.
Things are going to change, not immediately, and not by edict. There will be some room for debate but after 7 years of consistantly being here and waiting to see us progress, I am tired of wringing my hands in vain.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:17 pm

Date: 12 Jun 2003 20:25:17 EDT

4-6 duels required in a cycle? Then you'd better change the cycle to 4 months rather than three.

These days, I'm lucky to get around once a month to the Arena, and even then who knows how long I can actually duel.

If you want to say I have to be forced to duel a minimum amount, then, well, I'm sorry. I'll have no choice but to end my participation as Baron, Warlord and Duelist.

It's not that it's a threat of some sort, it's just that if I can't commit to your minimum, then there's no point to me trying to do it at all.

G