I Challenge Shakira

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

I Challenge Shakira

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:48 pm

Date: 24 Aug 2003 17:05:54 EDT

::Xerox copies of notebook paper with frayed edges, the words hand-written with the occasional scratch-out-- The two pages are stapled together.::

I Challenge Shakira
By Deluthan Ev'rt

Imagine a boy, somewhere in adolescence, when a boy can be almost anything. The boy knows this. What he doesn't know is that some things work out better than others. Instead of a pen, or a novel, or a calculator, or a piano, he picks up a wooden sword, the kind people use to spar.
Soon a fence post becomes his sparring partner. The bedroom walls become his bruised friends.
Later he would think he chose this path as a means of battling his personal demons. Or he would think his masculine intuition for conquering others brought him this way. But, at the time, he sees other kids learning it, so he figures he should, too. Maybe he can find some living, breathing friends if he learns how to sword-fight. They could bruise each other. They could give each other scars to be proud of.
What he learns he learns on his own, through books, tapes, magazines, minglings with other students. No instructors; he's pretty adamant about that. The duelists he admires most never had them. He wants to do this by himself.
He begins practicing one, two hours a day. A year later it's up to five. His dedication surpasses most students, and his seemingly pure love for the art only succeeds in alienating him further. Adherent to his own insular style, over years of conditioning his skill becomes rigid and narrow, like the river that chooses its plain and digs itself a canyon.
His skill is too limited to place him at the top of the competition, he realizes, at least not consistently. It's consistency that propels the best. Anyone can get lucky. Any young punk with a sword and a blazing sparkle in his eye.
The boy knows this. Maybe his skill can be used for something else, he thinks. And why not? Sometimes it feels like it's all he's got. Sometimes it feels like he doesn't even got that.

---

Del's Wins

Date Opponent Results Caller
1 10/04/02 Cassius Maximus 5-1 in 8 Wisp
2 10/04/02 Nick Tyme 4.5-2.5 in 15 Wisp
3 10/05/02 Jehanne Sana 5-1 in 8 Stormi
4 10/18/02 Elijah 5-4 in 10 Wisp
5 10/18/02 Lorance Sneggle 5-3 in 9 Var
6 11/01/02 Xerzes 5-2 in 8 Wisp
7 11/01/02 Face Loran 5-2 in 6 Wisp
8 6/20/03 Ticallion Carter 5-4 in 15 Var
9 8/16/03 Var 5-2 in 8 Pslyder
10 8/17/03 Karen Wilder 5-1 in 6 Pslyder
(not listed in duel results of the 8/22/03 standings)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:48 pm

Date: 01 Sep 2003 12:52:16 EDT

I fear that the Baroness may have forgotten where the Arena is, so I am informing the community: She and I have agreed on Tuesday, September 9th, at 8:15 (EST).

That's the night after the culmination of the Warlord Tournament, so be sure to bring your latex gloves and a spray bottle of peroxide.

Deluthan