Calling to all Warlords

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Calling to all Warlords

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:20 am

Date: 04 Mar 2004 19:51:11 EST

Duelist,
This is my 5th year as a challenging patron of the DoS. I have seen many skilled duelist come and go: Dalamar, Jeff Oakenshield, Jesse Troyan, Drey Starke, Avery Blade, and AJ Bird to name a few. I now wish to add my name to that list.
The reason for this post is simple........ I want challenges. I either want to defend this ring, or lose it to someone who can take it.

simply,

Xeric

Baron of the 4th
Former Baron of the 6th
Former Baron of the 8th
Former Baron of the 12th
Winner of the 01 FQ WLT
SLC
Russian
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Mar 2004 20:32:20 EST

Problem is, you're not even in the same league with those duelists you've mentioned, not even Drey's.

Don't confuse the fact that being a Baron you're something special. You won't hold your title for long.

Get used to disappointment.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Mar 2004 03:14:00 EST

Please tell me you did not just put Drey's name in that group.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Mar 2004 20:30:36 EST

I don't even know the few people you named, but I am sure there are many more skilled duelist than those.

Just do like me...hang onto the empty title for a couple of years.

Nicholas Tyme
12th
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 05 Mar 2004 21:28:16 EST

>Just do like me...hang onto the empty title for a couple of years.

Nick,

The title is worth what you put in to it. If it's empty to you, retire it to give someone who'll care more for it a chance to have it.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:21 am

Date: 05 Mar 2004 22:46:47 EST

>
>The title is worth what you put in to it. If it's empty to you, retire it to
>give someone who'll care more for it a chance to have it.
>
>G,

I think I have put enough into it. I have defended it twice and plan ot keep it until I lose it. Perhaps empty title were the wrongs words to use...but, with all that being said...anybody is more than welcome to come and get it.

Nick
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:21 am

Date: 06 Mar 2004 10:54:47 EST

I think I have put enough into it.

You've put nothing into it. You have not been a leader of this community and you have not been a pain in the community's side. You've done nothing. I have yet to hear of a tournament you have sponsored or a rivalry between you and someone else. However, that's to be expected. You put nothing into it because you have nothing to put into it. You're a boring little man. How can you blame anyone for being uninterested in challenging a boring little man?

I couldn't even name half the current barons. They do nothing to make themselves stand out. There is not a Mad Max, or a Dalamar, or a Siera, or even a Zen amongst you. Yes, some of the past barons and overlords weren't such good people. However, there is something worse than being a bad person -- being boring.

In that respect, I must commend the current overlord. At least she has brought some excitement to the Arena. I would encourage her to do more to intimidate the renegade barons. I do enjoy watching the holier-than-thou types squirm.

Just like you have all done to her, I'm sure you all will condemn me as a rude, heartless witch. However, deep down, you all would be sad to see either of us go. We bring a bit of excitement and emotion to your sad, pathetic lives.

Arane Nausikaa Ganderfald
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:22 am

Date: 06 Mar 2004 18:04:39 EST

>You've put nothing into it. You have not been a leader of this community and
>you have not been a pain in the community's side

I didn't realize I was supposed to be a pain in anybody's side. That must be the key then. I will try to do better, my lady.

::stomps away muttering to himself about boring and stuff under his breath::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 07 Mar 2004 17:16:41 EST

>The title is worth what you put in to it. If it's empty to you, retire it to
>give someone who'll care more for it a chance to have it.

I fail to understand this philosophy. It was the rich history of the Baronies, the stories of intense rivalries and heated competitions that inspired me to seriously pursue this sport. The histories led me to think that holding one of these titles truly was an honor.

I fail to understand how histories that regularly read "so-and-so retired this title because he got bored" will inspire anyone to pursue the title of Baron. If we don't start showing that holding the title of Baron really means something to us--hell, even if we are faking it--the sport, at least in this venue, will fade to "hobby" status.

Even if that means holding on to a ring until you are gray and mush-brained without ever being challenged. By committing yourself to defending your title, you show the rest of the community that you consider the title as more important than the individual holding it. And, really, what more could you put into it?

Deluthan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 07 Mar 2004 17:45:23 EST

Yes, but the title *isn't* more important than the individual holding it. It's a title. That's all it is. That's all it ever will be. Nobody should be placing any title before the importance of themselves. Balancing it evenly would be a better suggestion.

And really, at current the title of Baron is virtually meaningless. I'd gamble that most people probably couldn't name all the Barons we have now. I know I can't and I'm here all the time. The rivalries are gone, the houses are gone, the factions are gone, the inspiration is gone, the big names are gone, attendance is down. That's the problem. I'd rather see a Baron returning his ring rather than having to beg and plead to the community for a challenge. That sullies the history more than anything else.

>>The title is worth what you put in to it. If it's empty to you, retire it
>to
>>give someone who'll care more for it a chance to have it.

I have a perfect example for what G'nort said. I myself gave up the chance to hold a ring I had won during the WLT, so it was passed down to the next best finisher. You know who that happened to be? Shakira. And it's fairly obvious what she's done with it.

~Harris
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:24 am

Date: 07 Mar 2004 21:34:32 EST

For reasons of my own, I've retired the 12th.

I suppose it's up for grabs at the WLT tonight.

Nick
Plain o' Nick
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:24 am

Date: 07 Mar 2004 23:07:06 EST

>If we don't start showing that holding the title of Baron really means something to us--hell, even if we are faking it--the sport, at least in this venue, will fade to "hobby" status.<

Ugh! Faking it?!!! That's even worse!! Faking something gives the wrong impression.

Let's see, how many Overlords have we had since Nick got his ring? (I'm using this as an example not to pick on anybody). I can count at least six. Compare that to how many challenges he's had in the same amount of time: two. How many challenges did the OL title have? At least ten.

I said it back then, I repeat it now: There aren't enough duelists to justify having so many barons. You want the title to be important again? Reduce the number or get rid of the title and save it as part of our history.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:25 am

Date: 07 Mar 2004 23:14:03 EST

Amal's smart. 'Nuff said.