Phases and Stages

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Phases and Stages

Post by DoF Archive » Sun May 16, 2004 5:33 pm

Date: 7/27/2000 2:27 AM Central Daylight Time

She had no idea where she was when she woke, nor the time she'd been there, only a nice sunburn and sore muscles were any clue. Groaning as she rose she lifted up a hand to shield worn out silvers from the midday sun. An encampment? As her bones snap, crackled and popped back into place she stiffened, a different click alarming her immediately. She was in trouble.

The click had belonged to a familiar piece of metal. Her berreta.

"Caedia right?" His gravelly voice tore her spine up in a huge shudder, the latex outfit suffocating in the hot sun as it stuck to her skin.

"Doan move wench." She remained frozen as a glove was tossed casually into her lap.

"Put it on.. 'bout time ya woke up." His gruff tone didn't really scare her, how many times had she been faced with such a person during her life on the streets? She had respect for gun he was holding, that was about it. "I know alla 'bout that hand tricka yers."

"Lookin' like tha boss was right, ya are pretty 'ot." He snarled at her as she turned and rose carefully, the glove dangling in her hand as she prepared to put it on.

"C'mon, hurry up and doan make any funny moves or I'll kill yer brother myself." Now the beady eyed thug hadn't any problem with her before, and she'd have gone quietly if he'd just kept his mouth shut about Tareth.. but then again when were thugs ever really that brilliant? If they had any brains they'd be on the commanding side making the brainless ones doing the dangerous work.

Without thought as to what the rage would entail, she felt the blood in her veins boil and used that furious energy to race towards him, her right bare hand extended. Unfortunantly for her, he was smarter than the average bear. (or in this case, thug if you will.) Shots rang out and her body jolted backwards as her feet were knocked out from under her. Sheer pain laced across her left shoulder and right hip, from the shots, along with her head
from hitting the ground. She writhed desprately on the ground as his boots thudded nearer to her, her mouth gasping open like a fish out of water.

She saw one beady black eye before the last gun shot was heard and blackness took over.

~Caedia~

Never take away everything a person has..

cause when a person has nothing to lose,

that's when they're most dangerous.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Phases and Stages

Post by DoF Archive » Sun May 16, 2004 5:33 pm

Date: 7/27/2000 9:53 AM Central Daylight Time

The place looked like the Alamo had happened years before it's time. Blood was splattered everywhere and a few bodies that hadn't yet been cleaned up covered the floor like a cross hatch blanket.

"Sam didn't make it." The murmers were slashing through the air with a defiance, the men speaking casting suspicious gazes towards the woman walking through their turf. A few more inaudible mutterings occured before the man sitting the high winged-back chair fluttered his fingers to dismiss the men.

She was paused by the stairs that led to the myriad of rooms when he cleared his throat to catch her gaze. With a distracted nod she headed that way, fingers delving into her bag as she stepped over a few of the stitches in the "blanket of death".

"Edward says you got an answer for us?" In front of him an elongated table rested, giving her a place to lay some of the crinkled and drink-glass marked papers. He perused the papers only briefly before looking back up to the red head before him, she began at once.

"The whore that was here w-" She was interrupted mid-speech by the cackle coming from who appeared to be Edward, the boss' right hand man, "What's so funny?"

"We may not be the sorta classy people you've hung around with, but we do have morals of our own. Please refer to her as "The lady of the house." It sounds better." The boss didn't sound as amused as Edwards had been, in fact the chuckle that had interrupted her had quickly fallen short at his tone.

"Right, sorry sir. As I was saying.. the lady of the house could be the only one I can pin any sort of freedom on. She had the ability to gain information and tell it to the others that were working with her." She used her free hand to point out the part of the statements that had clued her in. He seemed to be following along so she kept going.

"Our usual Lady of the House had been sick she said, and was taking over for her for the night." He shrugged nonchalantly as if he were too tired to even get upset with it anymore. With the ambiance of the room, it was hard for her to keep her rolling pace going as well.. it made her sick. "She was pretty enough.. I was too busy worried about how Nathaniel and I were going to deal with Tony."

It all made sense when you thought about it, both men had their own guys (thugs if you will) and neither really knew who the others thugs were.. so many strangers had the option of showing up without any real threat of being recognized as unfamiliar. Everyone was strangers there just.. some more than others.

"So we've pretty much narrowed it down as to who could have launched such.. " her pause was merely so she could get a good beat on the room, looking for what she wanted to demonstrate. "..an attack."

Even Edward refused to look at the remnaints of the room, wincing with her words as he thought of his buddies. Daintily she begins picking a trail out between the not yet touched bodies, verdant eyes scanning with intensity.

"Let me get this straight and you stop me if you don't quite understand." She continued on without approval from him.

"You, Nathaniel, Ralph and Tony correct, all bosses in their four corners basically satisfied with your turf until one decides to take over the world." She caught his nod in peripheral, she intense with her search.

"Fat Tony's always alienated himself from the rest of us and now he's out to destroy us. We've decided to join forces if you will, to ban him from Rhydin permanently. With the three of us working together, the senseless violence such as the poor little dead boy you mentioned, will stop. Rhydin will return to it's normal violent state without such awkwardness involved from our parties." He had sat back while talking, rubbing his temples as if
the very words themselves were wearing him out.

"A well oiled machine ruined by someone who wants supreme power. What I don't get is why.. why the senseless killings? Why such malevolence?" Her english lilt had faded every so slightly earlier, but was now back with a vengance as she got worked up herself.

"To blame it on us of course.. the patrons of Rhydin and our gangs have this certain balance.. we own certain places, protect others.. and for a minimum investment, we destroy others. If someone is found dead in our turf.. who do you think is going to be blamed for it? Who's going to get revolted on? We're not exactly the church here, you ever heard of good gangsters, Red? No one believes a killer. There's already been an attack on one of
our warehouses." She quirked a brow, but he offered no more.

She bent down to pick up a bloodied but still intact chinese fan and flung it until it opened. With a satisfied smirk she began picking out a path back for him.

"Well Mr. Stephano, by the time I'm done, you'll look like the Pope." She tossed the fan to the table in front of him, startling his eyes back open and they narrowed at the new evidence. Small, neat writing was embedded within the folds explaining what had been discussed at the meeting.

"Find the whore, and kill her." The words were dripping with a venom that caused her to shiver. Where she had been merely sickened by the room, she was now spinning with nauseated fear and was glad she wasn't on the other end of that stick.

"I'll find her for you.. but I don't kill." With that she spun to return to her room, she was going to get sick quite literally if she stayed any longer. But then that's why she enjoyed this job was it not? The excitement.. the adventure.. and the stories she'd have to tell her.. well.. just the stories she'd have to tell.

Edward finally seemed to find his voice as he watched the woman work, and sounded like a puppy grabbing hold of a rope for all it was worth.

"We'll 'elp 'er boss." Tino nodded, watching her leave and waved Edward off as well.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Phases and Stages

Post by DoF Archive » Sun May 16, 2004 5:34 pm

Date: 8/1/2000 8:17 AM Central Daylight Time

"Death is neither beautiful nor ugly, it simply is." It had taken her two weeks to heal from the gunshot wounds, longer if they hadn't fed her. She had taken three shots, one to her right shoulder, one to her left side and the other to her left leg.

"Yet I've seen you kill with such grace and fury that even some of my men are left shaken." He was rounding her, stalking her like a panther to it's prey only less graceful. Besides.. panthers didn't have such beady eyes and pathetic overhung waistlines. How revolting.

"I cannot help what I have done, nor can I take it back." She was content with keeping her eyes forward and focused on nothing as he circled and somehow kept restraint on her want of moving away from him. "Why me?"

He had been waiting for the questions she could tell, peripheral caught the sneer as he stopped to rock back on his heels.

"It all started with an umbrella." He was like a grandfather telling old war stories complete with the triumphant look of glee in those black eyes. While he was talking, someone had brought him a drink, and them both a chair. She didn't know hers was there until it was shoved into the back of her knees, forcing her to sit.

"It was raining--"

"Don't you know you're supposed to start stories out with "Once upon a time, on a dark and stormy night..." it doesn't sound right unle--" All she saw was the flip of his fingers towards someone behind her, but what she felt was the butt of the gun smashing into the back and side of her head.

"As I was saying. One of my men had wandered out into Tino's turf.. doing a bit of studying for me, when his umbrella was swiped. After feigning immense fear and flight, he turned and followed the punk to a small wharehouse." He paused for dramatics as if she were supposed to be impressed by this bit of news. Either way she remained silent.

"Before he could make much of a difference in their lives, he heard some maniac on the rooftop yelling something out, and the next thing he knew, the building was demolished." He was smirking nearly now, watching her stoic visage as she listened. He knew how to get under her collar, he was just toying with her for now.

"I still don't see how you need me for this." Underneath her cool mask she was restless, wanting nothing more than to leave this broken down tavern known as hell to her, to escape Fat Tony's ugly and hungry stare, and to just run to her brother for comfort.

"I've done my part, I killed like you told me to, I told you the plans I can remember, and now that other boss guy is dead. I'm sure you and your thugs can handle the other."

He snorted a bit taking a long draught of his beer before lacing his fingers before his chin.

"First of all, you think your ploy is going to work? If you thought I had a conscious, what would I be doing sitting here before you? Secondly, if you think your work is done then you are sadly mistaken since you dropped the fan and thus the rest of the plans that you forgot. Remember, your brother can still pay for your mistakes."

Her fury flamed higher as he spoke, the fingers on her right hand proving this as she flexed them tighter but again managed to remain lax and otherwise motionless in her chair.

"Now, you can either work alone or with a partner.. I'm sure your brother wouldn't mind helping you gather the rest of your work."

"My brother is a mere thief, he doesn't do senseless murders and trite paperwork." She had been pretty sure of that to this point, remembering how her quick reflexes had cost a man his life and the look on her brother's face. Surely her dear sweet brother was who she thought him to be.

"Oh no?" She hated that tone and that gleam in his eye. He'd grown weary of her lack of emotion and what better way to break the ice than by shock?

A small milky marble rolled on the floor to hit her boot and she could only stare at it dazedly for a moment before launching herself towards the complacent pain in the arse.

"You stupid son of a b--" She was caught on three sides as she leapt, someone clothes lining her, another catching her left arm and nearly snapping it out of the socket, and the third with a boot in her stomach. She went down hard and nearly hit her head on the hardwood floor as sobs threatened to take over. Rolling to her side she grasped the marble, the familiar piece of her brother and the only solace for her right now.

"Relax, my dear Caedia." She spat blood out at his feet, coughs torturing her bruising body, "You didn't let me finish." She hated that look in his eye, how unabashed he'd been at her attempted attack. He was happy with finally getting a reaction out of her.

"Alex.. the man you saved and help get out of Tino's the other night, was the umbrella man. He followed the destroyer of Tino's building thinking it might have been one of our guys.. He was pleasantly surprised when it was your brother dearest."

"Liar!." She couldn't force it out with her raw throat, and could only continue to look at the ground, her fingers desprately tight on the cool glass.

"Oh come now, you think I honestly would have found you of all people? You reside on Tino's turf.. we hardly go there. For now." The evil chuckle was swallowed as he drank more, watching her defeat sink in as she lowered head from her arms to just lay on the floor. How he loved watching the spirit flushed out of someone and breaking her had been a hard journey indeed.

He was right, she was laying on this dusty floor now for a reason, and it wasn't because she had great legs. She was hardly around to begin with, and for someone to have seen her, and her brother.. something had to garner interest. She was holding the evidence in her hand.. they must have been following Tareth for awhile now. That made her shudder. What of hers had they gone through? Who else was in danger? And did her brother know he was now
missing one of his bombs? The only time he ever let his bombs go unwatched was in the middle of a.... oh Gods, the duels. All her friends.

"Alright. Just leave everyone alone. I'll do your damned work."

"Show the nice lady to her room." She winced at the purr in his voice, he knew he'd won and that hurt worse than when the men jerked her up and shoved her forward on her shakey legs. She could only cling to the marble and pray that Bane stayed on his business leave until everything was settled. She would think when the headache subsided and the blood quit spattering everytime she coughed.

~Caedia~

Never take away everything a person has..

cause when a person has nothing to lose,

that's when they're most dangerous.