Of Past and Glory (Caedia)

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Of Past and Glory (Caedia)

Post by DoF Archive » Sun May 16, 2004 6:15 pm

Date: 10/9/2000 2:46 PM Central Daylight Time

She had made her way home carefully between the trees taking time only to marvel at the beauty fall always created. She was actually quite bothered by her display of emotion she'd given towards her brother and was shown by the way she kept poking at her lips in absent thinking.

Home. Such a beautiful place for as sparse and broken down as it was. It was the first time in forever she felt she had such a place. She didn't even bother to go inside as she was in the middle of the forest pretty far away from other life, instead she just took her latex leggings off to leave the bodysuit. Flopping down into the hammock she tried furtively to nurse the wounds still left over from her run in with the gangsters. At least Tareth
was safe, that's all that mattered to her at the moment.

Sighing into a comfortable position, silvers peer up at the moon sneaking in peeks between the leaves of the surrounding trees. If she hadn't been pained before by the confrontation with her brother, she was now and all the pent up hurt and pain inside finally eased out in deep but silent tears.

------------

The drive was a long one, leaving Caedia to slouch in the passenger seat absently picking at her guitar. The darkness was comforting as the wind streaked through golden hair as James' voice filtered through to make her music come to life in a way that touched her heart deeply.

~Something in the way she moves.. or looks my way or calls my name. It seems to leave this troubled world behind..~

The trees that lined the road seemed as if to protect the two, creating a world of their own. The way they were planted in a jagged pattern caused the sound of the tides rising and falling creating a unique background for the song.

~and if I'm feeling down and blue.. or troubled by some foolish game. She always seems to make me change my mind.. And I feel fine anytime.. she's around me now. And she's around me now.. almost all the time. And if I'm well, you can tell that she's been with me now.. and she's been with me now.. almost all the time.. and I feel fine.. ~

James had given her the guitar music to learn, but as much as she liked James Taylor, she'd never heard this particular song. Her breath caught in her throat as her fingers kept picking out the chords effortlessly. She knew it by heart now and could play it in her sleep if she needed to, good thing as the black man beside her had just touched her heart deeply.

Just as the moonlight was washing her features in the hammock back in her present, the moonlight that night had flooded the very content young face of Caedia, back then known as Sade or Raven. Her eyes closed, she listened carefully to his voice and the gloriousness of it.

~every now and then the things I lean on lose their meaning.. and I find myself careening, to the places where I should not let me go.. She has the power to go, where no one else can find me, yes and to silently remind me, of the happiness and good times that I know.. and I said I just go to know that.. ~

Tony had allowed her to fix the car he and his wife had kept for years, but never used. After replacing the starter, exhaust manifold and the carburetor, she'd gotten the car purring like a kitten. Even the timing belts had been tuned to perfection and all for this one trip they'd been planning for months.

~it isn't what she's got to say.. or how she thinks or where she's been.. To me the words are nice, the way they sound. I like to hear them best that way.. it doesn't what they mean.. she says them mostly just to calm me down.~

It was amazing the bond they shared, not to mention the fact that they'd found each other in such a cruel, unforgiving world. How anyone could understand her was something she couldn't at the moment fathom, and he hadn't left her the way her parents and brother had. At least that was all she knew.

She played a few more tunes at the end of the song, unwilling to let the magic and strength of that moment end as they drove otherwise silently. The tides of the trees still sung it's background melody and the crisp smell of impending winter shattered the calm night in small cold air pockets.

------------

Away from comforting thoughts, Raven or Little Fire as James had called her, now Caedia Thorn reached down to tug her cloak further up for needing comfort more than the elements. Everything seems so bad until you're in a position where you wish you were back where you'd been.

Maybe there was a way she could go back, after all .. this was Rhydin was it not? First thing in the morning she would go try and find some witch or something.

~Caedia~

Never take away everything a person has..

cause when a person has nothing to lose,

that's when they're most dangerous.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Of Past and Glory (Caedia)

Post by DoF Archive » Sun May 16, 2004 6:15 pm

Date: 10/11/2000 10:08 AM Central Daylight Time

"The turnpan's shot and the pinwheel's busted." Oh, please let that be 'the turnpan's shot and the pinwheel needs to be dusted' yes, that's what he said.. she just didn't hear him right, that's it.

It's not that she didn't want to work, she loved working back here in the bowling alley. In fact, for the three weeks she'd been working in the back, she knew more than one mechanic did of 2 years. The difference being that she loved the mechanics of the whole machinery.. he was just in it for the money.

Reaching up in the scavage of materials, she brought out a fresh turnpan and the tools necessary to complete the job.. and a cloth for dusting. David merely snickered at her effort and shook his head.

"Nice try, Sade.. I know you better than that. We have to replace the pinwheel." She groaned.

Pinwheels work on the back of a bowling machine that to her looked like a big washing machine. The only real problem she had with the pin toting piece of machinary was the fact that it was as tall as her which made it difficult to replace.

"Let's at least finish the turnpan." She hit the stop button then the reset button to drop the deck and the rake so she could easily access the area she needed to be in. Removing a few pins and tossing them down onto the lane behind the rake, she hand cranked the moving deck for convenience and slid into place. The next few hours would consist of grease, tools and lots of hard work.. she loved it.

When she went back to gather the new belts for the pinwheel, she was rained on and startled awake.

------

It had only been a dream, but the serene smile that was on Caedia's face was well needed. The rain in her dream had been in direct coalation with the rain that was now drizzling down upon her as she lay in the hammock and with a content sigh tossed her cloak to the side.

Purring as she stretched, she couldn't help the pleased look etched on her features. She'd figure out how to go back .. well.. forward in time and work harder at the bowling alley. Perfect.

~Caedia~

Never take away everything a person has..

cause when a person has nothing to lose,

that's when they're most dangerous.