Shipping Lanes

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Shipping Lanes

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:02 am

Date: 7/14/2001 6:24 PM Central Daylight Time

Liet left the Outback early Saturday afternoon, checking her watch and heading out at a jog. Bailey was at her heels; even though she knew the customer didn't take very kindly to dogs, she was hoping he wouldn't notice amidst all the business that would be going down. Her father was bringing in the first full shipment this evening, and she knew the big dog would be happy about seeing ... well, seeing the Big Dog.

She hadn't heard from her father since the note she'd received [by carrier bird; she really needed to bring her father back in line with his own, modern earth heritage] the previous week, informing her of the date and approximate time he would arrive with the shipment. Everything was being done the old-fashioned way: by horse-drawn wagons and sledges, to keep the customer happy. Both Liet and her father had realized just how uncomfortable the man
was with modern machines; in fact, he reminded Liet very much of her father's wife, who had fainted the one time Liet had started up a chain-saw in front of her.

Of course, Liet had been wearing a rather menacing expression at the time ...

As she jogged toward their meeting spot, Liet grinned at the memory and sought out a tall boulder to climb up on. She couldn't deny being excited about seeing her father again, and wanted to see the very ears of the first horse the absolute moment it came over the rise. Below her, Bailey picked up on her excitement; the dog barked and ran around the bottom the rock until he found a way to climb up beside her and watch.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:04 am

Date: 7/15/2001 1:13 PM Central Daylight Time

An hour later, Liet was shading her eyes in the hope that it would somehow sharpen the picture. The first wagon was cresting the hill, and it seemed to shimmer as if through heat waves. Liet shook her head, blinked and looked again; it really wasn't that hot out, and the road was just dirt, but each sledge that followed seemed to shimmer as it appeared over the
hill.

She raised an arm in greeting as they grew closer, trying to seek out her father's shape amidst the wagons. The arm that lifted in return, however, was not her father's. The closer the wagons came, the more apparent it became: Geoff Duran was not with them. On the first wagon, grinning and still waving, was a tall, silver-haired fae. When he pulled alongside her rock, Liet could only gape down at him.

"Where's my father?"

"What manner of greeting is that, Lady Duran? Come down and give me a hug. It's been far too long, ves'tacha." The tall fae spread his arms wide, draping the reins across his knee.

"Taryn. Where's my father?" Liet began to move down from her perch, frowning. She pulled herself up onto the seat beside him, allowing that hug, then turned to call Bailey up beside her.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Shipping Lanes

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:05 am

Date: 7/15/2001 9:14 PM Central Daylight Time

"Your father is to home, my ves'tacha, where he is needed." Taryn's answer was murmured gently into Liet's hair as he hugged her then settled back, twitching the reins into his fingers and setting the horses to moving again. Behind them, wagons and sledges creaked into motion as the caravan picked up again. "We were delayed loading by several days, so he
sent me to open shadow paths so we'd not be late."

"What happened?" The rocking of the wagon and Taryn's familiar manner and scent—the smells of home—calmed her and comforted her worries somewhat, just as he had been able to do when she was small.

"You have a brother now, ves'tacha, or a half-brother if you prefer. Melissa went into labor the day we started loading, and that is what delayed us. It was a hard labor, from the sounds of things, and your father sent several men riding to fetch additional midwives."

"A brother ... ?" Liet couldn't help but feel the stirrings of curiosity toward this unknown creature; the only babies she'd seen were puppies, namely Bailey and his littermates. At the thought, she burrowed her fingers into the dog's fur, rubbing at his shoulder.

"Yes. Your father would like you to come home for his naming; I, too, think it would be a good idea for you to come. Melissa needs to remember you." Liet could hear the bitter tones that weighed in Taryn's voice, but did not remark upon them. Her distaste for what she considered old-world traditions—the beliefs Melissa's family was steeped in—was well-known, and she was certain that Melissa had regained sufficient strength to demand that
Geoff declare this boy-child his 'heir' at this naming day Taryn mentioned.

The thought turned her stomach; both the fact that Melissa wanted to write her out of her own father's life, and the fact that she was already resenting this brand new, unsullied life.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:05 am

Date: 7/16/2001 4:05 AM Central Daylight Time

"I should come home and meet ... him, I guess. And congratulate Da, and Melissa," she added, nodding against Taryn's shoulder. "Maybe in a couple weeks."

"Ah," Taryn sighed, but then the caravan was rounding a corner, where the road spilled into the broad dooryard of the distributor. Taryn guided the wagon off to the side and, one by one, the others pulled in alongside them. As she slipped out from within Taryn's arm and climbed down from the wagon, Liet turned to look at the fruit of her father's hard work: more than twenty years of growth and expansion, acquiring land acre by acre, all
represented in the tall, straight trunks that were stacked in neat pyramids.

"I've got rooms lined up for all of you, for tonight. Will you be heading right back tomorrow?" Liet was all business now as she surveyed the yard, waiting for the company's owner to appear.

"No, no. They're tired; some of them have never been in the shadow paths before. It was rough, because I rushed. They deserve some rest-- I was thinking we'd stay a couple days, let them have a night or two on the town."

Liet frowned a bit at that; but before she could respond, a small man was headed their way from around the corner of the office, brushing sawdust out of his hair and grinning broadly. Taryn snorted a bit, and Bailey hopped out of the wagon to sit next to Liet. That slowed down the man's approach a bit, and though Liet didn't look up, she knew that Taryn was grinning.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:06 am

Date: 7/18/2001 8:24 AM Central Daylight Time

"Matthew," Liet stepped forward, a hand held low gesturing to Bailey to stay put. She smiled warmly at the rotund man, shaking his hand when he extended it. "As promised, if a little late. I apologize for the delay."

"Oh, honey, it's just a couple minutes," Matthew gushed. He pumped her hand vigorously before following her to inspect the wagons and the lumber stacked. Taryn slipped off his seat and followed a couple paces behind them, hands folded behind his back. Within a few minutes, Liet had extracted a promise to care for the horses overnight from Matthew, and his staff began pulling the sledges around the building to unload.

"C'mon, guys," Liet called out to her father's men. "Let's go find your rooms." Weary as the men looked, she had a feeling they wouldn't be staying their for long; a couple of the younger men had grown up in remote villages and had never even been to Rhydin proper, and the older men had been in just often enough to know where to go.

"I don't know if it was a good idea or not," Liet murmured to Taryn as they all trooped the rest of the way into town on foot. "But the block of rooms I got is in the Red Dragon."

"I'm sure that'll be perfect," he responded. "Some of them actually want to sleep, but the rest will be up for the Dragon's version of ... entertainment."

"And you? How are you feeling? I know the shadow paths can take a lot out of you..."

"Me? Well, I'm up for whatever version of entertainment you're offering."
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:08 am

Date: 7/19/2001 8:23 AM Central Daylight Time

It was a long evening. Liet wanted nothing more than to leave, to head over to the Outback and watch the dueling for the diamond, but she felt a responsibility to the group of men and stayed with them, playing the part of hostess.

She stayed closest to Jake, a level-headed man around her father's age, for most of the night. He had a calming effect on her, as he seemed to have on the other, younger men; his simple presence had diverted two possible fights when their exuberance spilled over onto other patrons in the Red Dragon. His presence was also what kept her calm enough to refrain from slapping Taryn.

She sighed, shook her head and looked around the table, counting how many heads were down so far [two] and how many were needing refills [four]. The others were upstairs, either asleep or taking advantage of other forms of entertainment, and Liet really didn't want to know which. She pushed away from the table and headed for the bar, gesturing for the 'keep's attention and ordering another round.

It was while he was pouring it that Taryn slipped up behind her. A half-full wine glass was balanced precariously in one hand; before she could even realize his presence, the other arm had slipped around her, long fingers splaying across her stomach.

"My ves'tacha," Taryn murmured in her ear. She jumped, but his grip only tightened, fingers stroking as if to soothe. The barkeep set four large steins in front of her and she dug into a pocket to pay him, then reached for the beers-- only to be pulled back against Taryn. "Let the bar wench get that. Come upstairs with me."

"No, Taryn. I'm not your ves'tacha," she offered as calmly as possible.

"Your father said he talked to you," Taryn protested, opening his mouth to continue when Liet interrupted.

"I'm sorry, Taryn, but-- as usual-- you didn't stay long enough to listen to what we talked about." She pried his fingers off her stomach, slipped under his arm and grabbed up the steins, turning to head back to the table. She almost winced; Taryn just looked confused, too buzzed to really process what she was saying. He followed her back to the table, waiting until she'd passed around the beer before catching her arm and pulling her aside
again. She could see Jake watching them out of the corner of her eye, and put a smile on her face as she looked up at Taryn.

"We're not having this conversation here," Taryn said. "Come up to my room, where it's quiet."

"You're right," she said, "we're not having this conversation here. We're also not having this conversation tonight. You're drunk, Taryn, and nothing I say is going to get through to you. I'm going home, and I'll talk to you some time tomorrow."

"Home? Yes," he said, latching onto that word like a lifeline. "You need to come home. Your father offered us Forest."

Liet could only gape when he blurted that out. Forest-- it was how they referred to the old house, the first cabin Geoff Duran had built, deep in the forest he now owned. The cabin and the surrounding acreage had been the first claim he'd made on the land, and it had taken him years to expand his property.

He'd built Morningside, the sprawling house in the valley, when he met Liet's mother, and no one had lived in Forest since.

"No," she growled at Taryn, and pushed off his chest. "I'm going to my room, to sleep, and I suggest you do the same thing." Without giving him time to respond, Liet spun on a heel and stalked out the front door. She'd head to the Outback once she cooled down.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Come home..

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:10 am

Date: 8/7/2001 10:25 PM Central Daylight Time

It was the end of the night as it had come many a time while Liet was gone, and still he was yet to welcome the inky darkness. Standing in the empty darkness of the Outback the two colored eyes flickered across the empty stairwell and the room beyond that had once held so much comfort for him. Soon she'd be back, soon she said.

"For a bit." Those were the exact words she'd told him as she was sitting across the bed from him. The words sounded so hollow in the reverberations and with a resigned sigh, his footsteps lead towards the one door.

Out into the dark exactness of the outside sky he moved with no particular aim in mind. His nose flared and head tilted as he stood rigid to listen. A warmth, far greater than it seemed was blowing along the wind to touch against his skin and a scent of a predator was vibrant. It was that second after he had noted the difference and froze that he'd noticed another more disturbing issue.

"What do you want?" His voice was placcid and quiet, he knew whoever it was would hear. He knew where they were from, but not who yet.

"Kiko." The name resounded from in front to behind him, echoing as if he were in a wind tunnel where the wind couldn't decide which way to blow. The hair on his arms raised.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Come home.. [Liet]

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:12 am

Date: 8/7/2001 10:27 PM Central Daylight Time

It was late—there had been so many late nights, it seemed: nights she couldn't sleep, nights she simply had to get out of the house in the valley. Tonight, just like the others, she left Bailey behind and followed her feet—this time, they carried her up a narrow, tree-crowded trail that led toward the mill camp several miles up the forested slopes. Here the
air was crisp, much cooler than it had been in Rhydin and, like those other nights, Liet pushed herself until she was running up the path, running toward exhaustion. There was no other way she'd sleep.

As she went, a hand lifted to wrap around the small, hematite panther and the silver ring nestled next to it on her necklace.

"Liet."

She hadn't been paying attention; should have heard his breathing, should have felt his warmth in the night. Should have—but didn't. It took a minute of searching the tall pines before she found him: first the glimmer of moon-silver hair in the darkness, then half-elven eyes found the outlines created by his body temperature; tall, graceful and deceptively slender, the fae was leaned against a tree trunk.

She moved so easily,

all I could think of was sunlight.

[Paul Simon, "I Know What I Know"]
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Come home.. [Jinnaiya]

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:13 am

Date: 8/7/2001 10:34 PM Central Daylight Time

"Gaea?" He looked up and squinted through several trees before the familiar white feathers of Makalaster's watchers. The moon owl swiveled its head to look away then back at him. Suddenly the wings spread wide to allow flight from the tree branch to before him.

The feathers seemed to be pressed by invisible fingers of the wind into a milky white skin as he waited patiently. The golden talons formed into golden boots that floated on the air as she walked towards him, finally touching ground as she formed.

"Kiko." The name this time came from her full lips as she neared and fluttered her hands along his stomach. Around she went to gently study his back with those fingertips.

"You've come so far, my brother." Her words created a stiffness in him, yet a pliable warmth in which he bent and twisted in prodding his current emotions.

"Gaea, if you've come to try and convince me to return to Kommordia, you're wasting your time. I'm not going." He spun around to head back towards the coach where Liet had set up the night lights for him and he had plans for remedying the emptiness they now lay in when she got back.

"Kiko," she sighed following him in a float as if her feet weren't even touching land and placed her hand on his shoulder, "Makalaster misses you, he regrets wha--"

"Misses? Regrets?" He spun around to knock her hand away, the abhorrence inherit in his tone was also evident in his facial expressions. "You weren't a fighter, you have no idea what it was like to wake up every morning knowing you'd killed the night before. You have no idea what the dreams are like.. how you can see the pain and fear in your opponents eyes as they take their last breath. The hatred you've created by pain you've inflicted.
You've never been beaten and teased by whips and barbed wire so that you can take that rage infesting your blood and focus it into an attacking force. You've never been there. Your job is to stand outside on a tree limb and watch for attackers, watch for people."

He leaned closer with his body tightly tensed as if he would spring on her to take out his rage, his voice dropped with a deep animosity.

"You have no idea what it was like on the inside." His words, his sentance just left her gaping in silence for the moment before her fingers reached out for his cheek. He jerked away at first, reluctant for any contact.. he only wanted Liet to hug him tightly, that was the only thing that could suitably calm him. She finally managed a gentle touch and her fluttery trails managed to at least abate his rantings enough for her to
speak.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:14 am

Date: 8/7/2001 10:50 PM Central Daylight Time

"What do you want?" There was wariness in her breathless voice, a new inflection for him to puzzle over.

"Liet," he said again; heavier, softer. Tired.

"Taryn?" she asked, stepping forward when his visible heat-print disappeared around the tree. The air was damp and cold this close to the river, and the mist and trees masked him from half-bred sight. She heard his last footstep only an instant before his hands settled to her shoulders.

"You've come this far, my ves'tacha," he offered quietly, his lips near her ear. "Why not stay?"

"Because I don't want to," she said flatly. "I have another life now, Taryn. You're wasting your time." She twisted out of his grip, felt his fingers tighten before trailing away from her shoulders, and pushed her way up the slope, out of the tree line and into the mill camp for which she'd been headed. Taryn followed.

The falls were almost a half-mile above the camp, but Liet could hear the steady roar clearly. Most of the buildings were quiet and dark, but she was aiming for one building in particular, the one with the lit windows, the one full of laughter and cigar smoke thick enough to slap her as she entered.

The men were gathered around a table, cards shuffling between thick fingers, into which dirt had been ground for years; cigars or hand-rolled cigarettes clamped between lips or teeth; curses and crude jokes called out as coins and pills changed hands. They never heard the door open; for some, the clean breeze and familiar, cold presence of the fae caught their attention; for the men in the game, their attention was grabbed by the scraping of a
chair as it was dragged to the table.

"Count me in," Liet demanded roughly. "I need gas money."

She moved so easily,

DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Come home.. [Nai]

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:15 am

Date: 8/7/2001 10:59 PM Central Daylight Time

"I also missed you dear brother. I came here to see how you are, not command you to go anywhere. I see that you're alone here."

"I have Liet. She's my sunshine now. She's life, she's happiness. I am not alone."

Gaea tilted her head as he spoke and drifted closer.

"My brother, she cannot possibly love you. You are different from all. I've been watching. You are not like others. Our skin color," she pointed to her own alabaster skin, "is not like others. Everyone leaves when you come in, and everyone would fear you should they know the truth. You know it's true."

He was thinking about her words and remembered how Liet had paled when she thought he was asking for more. He remembered how she fell asleep a lot around him and how the silver ring was dangling around her neck as he waved good bye to her in the morning of her departure. It had been difficult, and the lonliness was causing unrest and paranoid thoughts. He shuddered.

"No." But even his voice had taken on a doubtful tinge.

She used his discomfort to her advantage and continued her conversation as she looped her arm into his and headed towards the river. The sounds of the winding river echoed deep within the both as they walked.

"There's no one to protect us now." Her soft murmerings were both a comfort of home and a vivid and painful reminder of the past.

"You've got Ryien." The thought of the bear brother brought a different pain with it, he was her brother, they were all related by Makalaster and his lab. All created in the same manner in different skins, and for basically the same purpose.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:16 am

Date: 8/7/2001 11:20 PM Central Daylight Time

"Liet," Taryn cautioned behind her as the gathered men groaned and protested amid their laughter.

"Not a chance, Duran!" one of them shouted, as if she were her father. "It took me two months to work off what I lost to you last time you said that!" Across the table, Jake shook a thick finger at her, warding her off as one might a small child.

"Chickens," she snorted and pushed off the chair. "Well, say your goodbyes, then. I intend to be on the road first thing in the morning." More protesting, but the hulking 'jacks lined up to receive their hugs, many lifting her off her feet and squeezing hard enough to bring tears to her eyes. She patted some of them on the back, knocked others on the backs of their heads until they set her to her feet again, gave every last one a kiss on the
cheek before waving and stepping back outside—this time, she was on Taryn's heels rather than the other way around.

"Are you serious?" he asked, turning on her in the center of the camp. It was light enough here, without trees to block the moonlight, that she could look him fully in the face. "Are you really leaving so soon?"

"I have to," she said, turning and walking toward the edge of the camp. "If I leave first thing in the morning, I can be back in Rhydin by Sunday evening." Naiya's shift, she thought.

"Why in such a hurry?" He was following her; close enough now to reach out for her shoulders again. This time, she didn't resist when he tugged her backward, nor when he wrapped his arms around her. There was a chill in her bones she couldn't chase away, a dull and precognitive fear in her belly, and she felt the need for comfort. "I miss you," he murmured against the top of her head. "You belong here, Liet. With me."

She moved so easily,

DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Come home.. [Nai]

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:17 am

Date: 8/7/2001 11:21 PM Central Daylight Time

"Ryien was... he didn't.. Oh Gods.. " She turned her head to look away pained but he curled her tightly against him and held to her as she buried her face into his neck. He cursed softly as he stroked her feathery hair cover.

"I'm so sorry, Gaea. I had no idea." She pulled away to show her teary face to him or to look deeper into his eyes, either way she hit home. The death of a brother, even one not directly by blood, was hard hitting indeed.

"No one could ever truly understand us. No one could ever love us for being us--"

"That's not true," he seemed to have a knack for interrupting her tonight, "I showed Liet, I transformed before her, I showed her what I did in the rings.. she's still here.." Well.. for the most part anyway.

She searched his eyes for a moment as if validating his words through his eyes and the truth held there.

"She's just wanting you to protect her. She's using you like everyone else and when you're gone, she'll find another. I've watched you two together. I've watched the people around you. They all quietly fear you, and when she tells them what you are and what you do, they'll kill you before you can realize what was happening."

Seeds of fear had been planted in his belly and it wasn't long before they began to sprout and take the form of fear flowers. He was having trouble catching his breath. The thoughts she had said was the fear of every creation of Makalasters. They lived in fear of the outside world, of surviving without his protection and of him.

"I'll go."
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:18 am

Date: 8/7/2001 11:21 PM Central Daylight Time

"I ... Taryn, how can you say that? I haven't even really had a chance to live on my own, to make my own way. It's only been a couple months."

"I know you," he said, tightening his arms when she tensed. "I've known you your whole life, ever since you were a toddler. This is where you belong. How can you really be happy so far away from home, from the people who love you?"

"If you knew me, you'd know that I want to be there. And you wouldn't keep trying to stop me. I could have been back already if I hadn't listened to you!"

"You're missing someone," he said after a moment's silence—a bitter accusation.

"Yes," she admitted after a hesitation of her own.

"You love this ... person?"

"How can I know that? I like him. I like him a lot. But love ... ? That's too strong a word. We've only been seeing each other for a short time."

"Liet," Taryn said, turning her around and bending to look into her eyes. "I love you. I have always loved you. You've known me all your life. I know your past, your heritage, just like you know mine. Our families—"

"Taryn," she interrupted, placing a hand over his mouth. "I care for you. Like an uncle. I'm sorry, but I can't love you the way you want me to. And I don't want to stay here. Maybe someday I'll come home again, when Da needs me, and I'm sure I'll come home to visit whenever I can, but I can't give you what you want. I'm sorry."

"He can't love you, Liet; not the way I do."

"Maybe. But it's worth it to me to find that out for myself, Taryn," she said firmly, pushing out of his grip. "I'm leaving before sun-up." This time, when she walked away, Taryn remained behind her on the mountainside. She bounded down the trail, that cold fear twisting in her gut again. Hurry home, it told her, and it took all of her restraint to return to her father's house rather than jump into her truck and head back to Rhydin
immediately.

She moved so easily,