Empty Jars [Liet]

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: The trip begins. [Liet]

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 12:57 pm

Date: 8/12/2001 10:20 PM Central Daylight Time

"Only a lazy trainer," she said archly, "needs a whip." And she stayed put, keeping distance between herself and Jurakis. She seemed to hate him more each minute she was around him—if that was even possible. Inside the ring, Jinnaiya seemed satisfied by the sound of her voice and turned away, purring briefly as he stretched. The other men had shoved the bear
into the ring and locked the gate, leaving the beast to fight the few remaining restraints. Liet straightened, stepping away from the bar; as much as she wanted to be closer to Jinnaiya, she didn't need to get in the way of an errant paw-swipe.

Jurakis ignored Liet's comment, intent on the panther. Even he was amazed at big cat's freshness, as if he'd gotten some rest at some point. That just made him angrier, though; he hated to lose the prize he had only just won. But he knew that he was only "King" in the rings, and she—they, her and Yaris both—were royalty out there, where it mattered [at least, as far as he knew]. This was as close as he could come to refusing
her claim altogether.

The bear snapped its ropes and descended upon the panther, roaring. A broad paw slapped out at the panther, but Jinnaiya was able to leap out of the way. Liet held her breath; what had she been thinking? How long could 'Naiya possibly hold off a beast that size? She should have pressed her story, asserted herself more—what, with the Prince to back her up, she probably could have made Jurakis give Jinnaiya to her without the fight. But it was
too late now, so she just held her breath and clenched her fists beneath her cloak. The bear tried for Jinnaiya again; this time, the backward swipe of its massive paw caught the panther, sending him rolling into the side of the cage, where he lay still for several heartbeats. Within moments, however, he was righting himself into a crouch, tail lashing as he watched the bear.

He darted forward, striking out as the bear rose up and slashing across the beast's abdomen. He slid away, ducking the bear's counter-swipe and spun back as the bear turned his shoulder away, dropping back down to all fours. Jinnaiya took advantage of that movement to spring onto the bear's back, tearing and digging with his claws. The bear reared up, flailing and sending the panther flying across the ring once more. This time, when he hit the
bars, he was thoroughly stunned and lay still for several minutes while the bear whirled back and straightened.

She moved so easily,

all I could think of was sunlight.

[Paul Simon, "I Know What I Know"]
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 12:57 pm

Date: 8/13/2001 9:06 AM Central Daylight Time

Jurakis seemed highly pleased as he watched the panther crumple, and moved closer to Liet, leaning toward her ear.

"You never told me your name," he murmured, the smirk still obvious on his face. For a moment, Liet paid him no mind; she was having trouble pulling her gaze away from Jinnaiya, praying with all of her might that he would get up again. Finally, she slid her gaze downward and to the side; a glance toward Jurakis that seemed ... demure. The truth behind it was that, if she saw that sneer one more time, she was going to remove it for him. Or vomit.
One or the other.

"You're right," she said quietly. "I didn't." She could only hope that would throw him a bit. Inside, however, she was desparately grappling for a name. What if they had some kind of odd naming conventions here, with names for women very different from those of men? So far, the only names she had heard were those of men—and no one seemed to have simple, single-syllable names. Not that giving her actual name was an option, as far as she was
concerned. She shifted her gaze back to the ring, hoping that Jinnaiya would be up again, and that Jurakis would be put off by her apparent refusal to share her name.

Jinnaiya did stand again—slowly, painfully, wearied. One careful step followed another as the bear circled closer in the large ring, both animals threatening with low, fierce growls. Jinnaiya bared his teeth, snapped at the air in return, still moving slow. By this time, many people had flocked to the rearmost cage, and the betting had begun in earnest on the battle between the panther and the bear. Liet lifted her head a bit, her lips finding
a small smile. Let Jurakis—and the rest of them—see her confidence in her 'Naiya. She knew he could pull through this. She breathed an audible sigh of relief when Jurakis was caught up and whisked away by several babbling men, one of whom was the young man who had placed his very first bet earlier in the evening. Yaris was standing quietly at Liet's shoulder, watching intently as Jinnaiya sprang into action again.

She moved so easily,

DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 12:58 pm

Date: 8/13/2001 9:30 PM Central Daylight Time

The bear reared up and Jinnaiya created a foothold in the thick, loose fur of the beast's belly. He reached up, digging claws into the nape of the bear's neck and sinking teeth in, chewing and mangling fur and loose folds of flesh. The bear, its windpipe constricted, flailed and tore at the sinewy beast attached to him. At the far side of the ring, Liet tensed
and pressed forward, wrapping a hand around the bars of the ring. Jinnaiya locked his jaws and hung in desparately as the bear reeled back, still slapping at the panther even as its eyes rolled back. It fell to its back with a crash and claws tore into the panther's underbelly. The struggling slowed in stages as Jinnaiya worked his jaw around the mouthfuls of fur, searching for the jugular. Black and brown fur, mingled with blood, seemed to meld
together as both animals simply ceased moving.

Liet wasn't sure what to do when they stopped moving. She stepped closer to the bars again, looking for signs of life from either animal. She kept the Prince in her periphery, ready to react to any sudden movement from that quarter. It was just as the battle ceased that Jurakis returned, cursing loudly as he saw the pair in the ring. The Prince shook his head, stepping closer to Liet.

"It doesn't look good, Princess." More men were gathering around the ring; it seemed to Liet like they came out of the woodwork once Jurakis had returned. She simply shook her head, mute, and cut the air with a sharp gesture—a helpess movement that slipped out before she could catch it. She stepped away from the bars, glanced apologetically toward the Prince and then passed him by, heading for the gate that led into the ring. One man opened it
warily, others readying ropes in case either animal were to gather itself. They'd been in this business too long to go rushing in. Careless of her own safety, Liet was right on the heels of the first man to enter.

"Take your damned corpse and leave." Jurakis was nothing, if not a sore loser. Liet hardly paid him any mind; it wasn't like she was ever going to set foot in this place again, unless it was to personally burn it down.

"I'll help you, if you want," Yaris sighed; he had followed her into the ring and now looked sadly at the beasts. "You should have brought your boy with you." Liet could only blink at him. Her boy? Before he could catch her confusion, however, she just nodded and turned back to the bear/panther pile. She caught up with the men as they neared the animals; the guy nearest her was so tensed, so ready for one of the animals to move, that he jumped
when Liet spoke.

"Jinn. It's over." She didn't know if he could hear her; she could see that his sides moved, but only barely, and she had to assume he was unconscious. By all rights, he shouldn't even be alive. It wasn't until she spoke that the men around her even realized that one of the animals was living. He leaned closer, checking the bear before straightening to announce, "We have a winner!" The shout startled Yaris, who had also become caught up in the
tense mood in the ring. The excitement of the crowd crested again as bets were paid out and Jurakis came back to check.

She moved so easily,

DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 12:59 pm

Date: 8/13/2001 9:31 PM Central Daylight Time

Straining, two of the men pried the panther's jaws away from the bear's mangled throat. One stepped back in surprise when Yaris pushed his way between them, pinching sharply at the back of the panther's neck and bending over him. Liet blinked, reached foward and put a firm hand on the Prince's arm; regardless of how much he had helped her so far, her initial
reaction was that he was somehow hurting Jinnaiya.

"What are you doing?" The man who had stepped back moved forward again, asking the question before Liet had a chance.

"I think he stopped breathing," Yaris said casually, stepping away from the panther. "I was just checking." He rested his hand over the hand Liet had placed on his arm; the look that he sent her was hard, determined. The other man sighed, turning away from them to look more closely at the panther.

"He's right—but the bear died first. All bets stand. Kiko is the winner."

"He's not dead!" Liet hissed stubbornly at Yaris, tugging her hand away and moving to Jinnaiya's side. It wasn't easy to search for a pulse through the thick fur, but she tried nonetheless. When she didn't find one, she decided it was her own lack of skill in finding pulses; Jinnaiya wasn't dead. He couldn't be.

She moved so easily,

DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 12:59 pm

Date: 8/16/2001 9:10 AM Central Daylight Time

"We should get him out to your ... coach," Yaris said as the men hauled the bear's carcass away. Liet blinked, looked blankly at him.

"Yes ... I suppose you're right," she said, nodding and stepping back slowly from Jinnaiya. It took her a minute to remember that she hadn't arranged for a coach before coming here; she'd just left the truck hidden outside down and walked in. Not smart. She was about to open her mouth to speak when Jurakis stepped back into the ring.

"Wait just a minute," he said, bending to study Jinnaiya himself.

"Jurakis, you've done enough," the Prince snapped, his tone uncharacteristically sharp. "The Princess would like to leave. Now." Jurakis peered at him for a moment before leaning over Jinnaiya again.

"Well, Kiko? You killed many of my animals—and now your time has come." He shook his head, standing back from the panther and waving Yaris on. "Just get him out of here—and don't step foot in here again." He would have to let Makalaster know of the panther's death—but perhaps that wasn't a bad thing. If the panther wasn't Makalaster's to begin with, that meant that Makalaster still owed him his best animal. As Jurakis left the ring,
Yaris moved closer to Liet again.

"Bring your jeep around," he whispered. "I'll have someone help me get him to the edge of town, and meet you there." For a moment, Liet just stared at Yaris as if he had two or more heads. There was some anger mingled with the astonishment in her gaze, but when Yaris turned her gently she jerked away and made her way out of the ring and through the doors to head for her jeep. She didn't see having much choice but to do what he said; she knew she
didn't have the strength to get Jinnaiya out of there without help.

Liet was halfway to the jeep when it hit her: Jinnaiya was dead. He had died in that ring. Yaris had seen his breathing stop, and the workers there had confirmed it. Why was she still listening to that Yaris guy, anyway? What good could any of this do? She listened, she realized, because he seemed so confident—and because she couldn't let herself believe that Jinnaiya could be dead. In fact, if he was dead, Liet had no
intention of letting him remain so for long. There were clerics and healers thick as cockroaches in Rhydin; one of them could surely heal him, bring him back.

By the time she reached her truck, Liet had regained her determination. She tore away the branches that she'd used to camaflouge the old landcruiser, fired it up and headed carefully toward the edge of town.

She moved so easily,

DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:00 pm

Date: 8/16/2001 11:19 PM Central Daylight Time

As Liet left, Prince Yaris leaned down over the panther again, pinching at the nerves in the panther's neck again. "Don't worry," the Prince whispered, gesturing casually with his free hand for another man to come help him. "She's coming for you. You'll be happy there—that's all I ever wanted." He straightened away from the panther as one of the workers
arrived to help him; together, the two hefted the cat up and carried him out the door. Yaris directed with a few curt nods and the man left them at a secluded spot just past the outskirts of town.

Yaris sat to wait for Liet, pulling his cloak's loose cowl up to shadow his face. There was sweat on the handsome brow, and he was panting; he was unaware of the slow darkening of his eyes and the dark marks that began to appear on his face, fading into view like poorly covered inks. He bowed his head, letting it hang for several minutes until the rumble of a truck could be heard. Its lights were off, but he could hear the truck slowing down and,
when he looked up, could see Liet peering about carefully. He raised a hand and stood up, waving her over.

"I'm sorry to have worried you," were the first words out of his mouth as she jumped down out of the truck. "I had to make Jurakis believe—else he'd never leave you alone, you know." The voice was somewhat higher, somewhat more clear; the hands that reached down to slide beneath the panther were more slender and what pale skin showed was striped faintly gray.

"I'm sorry, too," Liet said; there was true regret in her voice while, even as she crouched down to heave up her portion of the panther's weight, she continued, "but just who the hell are you, and why should I be trusting you?" Yaris ignored the question, moving the limp form into the cargo area behind the truck's seats and leaning over him again.

"We're lucky, in a way," Yaris continued, "that he was so near death. There's a pressure spot—I think it worked. Everyone thinks he died. Take him home and take care of him. I think he'll recover." Liet was staring at Yaris, at the changes coming over the ... man? Woman? The stripes were slowly stealing out of their hiding, patterning over paler skin than had appeared before. The voice was softer, fuller, higher; a woman's voice. Liet's
head was spinning.

She moved so easily,

DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:01 pm

Date: 8/18/2001 1:22 PM Central Daylight Time

"I heard Makalaster say that he ... put something on him, to keep him in this form. He didn't want Jurakis to know that he could shift. That's all I heard, though," the striped woman said, still not looking up. Liet simply stared at her, understanding coming only slowly, and reached through into the jeep to stroke the panther's side. She had to make sure that
he was real; that it was, in fact, her 'Naiya in the back of the jeep. She was beginning to disbelieve her eyes, much less her memory. Beneath her hand, the furred side was indeed moving—slowly, shallowly, but he was breathing! Liet was about to say something when brown eyes flickered up, settling on her. With no warning, the woman leaned in closer, a finger lifting to flick at the tiny, hematite panther hanging from Liet's necklace.

"That. He had one like that. Where did you get that?" She poked at the necklace again, mindless that her cowl had slipped back from her face, which was lined with more of those stripes. Liet flinched backward a little, blinked down at the necklace. The stripes didn't even register with her anymore; they were simply there, just as this woman had simply been a man before. Of course.

"Jinnaiya ... he gave these to me," she answered softly. It brought a small smile to her face, and she reached up to touch the panther and the ring nestled next to it.

"I think I know what Makalaster did," the woman said and pushed around Liet to bury her fingers into Jinnaiya's thick fur. "He had a necklace like that, too. Help me—I thought I felt something around his neck when I put him to sleep."

She moved so easily,

DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:02 pm

Date: 8/24/2001 8:50 AM Central Daylight Time

Liet reached to help the woman, running her fingers through the fur on Jinnaiya's neck. She couldn't believe that the necklace didn't get torn off during the fight—but, almost as soon as she thought that, her fingers caught on the cord.

"It's here," she said, and added quickly, "it's on really tight." She didn't even have a chance to blink when the other leaned forward, plucking the dagger Jinnaiya had given her out of its holster and using it to cut through the cord. The cord snapped apart when the dagger cut through it; Liet was amazed that he hadn't been having trouble breathing, it had been so tight. The other woman paused, looking down at the elegantly detailed dagger, her
face unreadable.

"What?" Liet asked, leaning forward.

"He really must care for you a lot," the woman said quietly. "He made everyone here believe you are a princess." She handed the dagger back then turned away and tucked the cowl back over her face and head. "Goodbye, Liet. Please take care of him."

"Wait!" Liet scrambled out of the back of the truck, stepping after the woman as she moved away. "I'd like to know who you really are—please?" The woman paused before turning back to meet her gaze.

"Ursulea. Not that the name means anything to you."

"You are ... a friend of his?" She was thinking more than that, perhaps, from the sadness that lingered in Ursulea's smile.

"A sister of sorts, you could say." She shifted her weight and Liet leaned forward, placing her hand on the woman's arm; a warm gesture.

"Thank you so much for your help, Ursulea. I don't know what I would have done, if you hadn't helped me." In response, Ursulea just lifted her hand to cover Liet's for a moment before moving back toward town.

"Peace be with you," she offered quietly before disappearing, swallowed by the edges of town.

She moved so easily,

DoF Archive
Archivist

Home [Liet]

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 1:02 pm

Date: 8/24/2001 6:35 PM Central Daylight Time

Liet was beyond groggy when she woke up late the next day; she didn't even know where she was, nor did she recognize the snores that echoed on either side of her. Panic had her surging up out of the bed, only to settle back again when the slant of the evening light through the room reminded her of where she was: the Outback.

She didn't even really remember getting home. She remembered vague snatches of the drive back: driving particularly slow in her attempts to avoid jostling Jinnaiya too much; one moment, about a mile from the Outback, when she had stretched her arm back between the seats to feel the reassuring, if shallow, rise and fall of his ribcage, and had been rewarded with a low purr that rattled into faltering life before being silenced in the rasp of his
breathing. That was all she remembered of the drive itself—and as for getting him inside and up the stairs, she had no recollection at all. Had someone been there to help her? Had she somehow dragged him all the way up there herself? Had he been strong enough to walk? She didn't recall.

She remembered Bailey, whining and looking worried in the way only dogs can; remembered him jumping lightly up onto the bed, hackles raised when he sniffed over Jinnaiya; remembered him curling tightly against her side with his tail over his nose. He hadn't curled up that tightly since he was a pup, and his fear resounded in Liet. On the other side of her, taking up most of the bed, was Jinnaiya.

Even in panther form, his mouth hung open as he labored for breath. There was a wet, rattling sound in his lungs, and Liet feared that sound. She knew at least a couple of his ribs had to be broken, and could only imagine what they were poking into.

She only had a little of the salve left; Jinnaiya never even stirred when she dragged herself the rest of the way out of the bed and applied it to the nasty gashes he'd suffered. That worried her even more and, ordering Bailey to watch over him, she quickly got dressed. Jinnaiya needed more healing than she could offer, and she only knew of one place to get that kind of help.

She moved so easily,