Jackal's Goods

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Jackal's Goods

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 2:07 pm

Date: 10/21/2001 10:16 PM Central Daylight Time

After offering some late night companions a farewell, Janella stepped into the Red Dragon Inn from the Arena. Not surprisingly, the common room was full even at that hour. Several small groups sat gathered at tables drinking, and more than a handful stood and leaned at the bar. In one corner, a trio of men were singing and carrying on while a woman played to them on a lute. The smell of ale, bread and sweat was in the air, nothing new, Janella
shrugged, moving for the door. Wanting a fresh breath before retiring upstairs, the fighter stepped outside. Shaking out her arms, she inhaled deeply and wandered along the street. A few people walked by noisily, obviously having come from another tavern. Reaching the end of the block, Janella casually looked down the alley, narrowing her eyes as her senses told her something wasn't altogether right. Sure enough, a moment later, a haggard, thin
figure hurried up to her, and Janella made a grimace to see him.

"Ooh, it's you! Fancy that, by my own eyes, you're right here even though that Jackal wants you dea---aahh!"

Having forgotten to put her gloves back on after she had relaxed in the Arena earlier, Janella felt a twinge of disgust as she was forced to hold Mansen by the throat with her bare hands. Janella fixed him with a menacing glare and pressed him along the wall, rounding the edge of the building to plunge them both into the shadows. Mansen squirmed and tried to swallow.

"You little swine, what do you know!" Janella snarled, her face inches from the well-known and widely despised thief that was called Mansen. She ignored his writhing, not bothering to release her grip even when she felt her nails digging into him.

Mansen's eyes were wide. "I-- I dddon't know anything!" Seemingly without even so much as a blink, Mansen's inquisitor had something sharp, and very cold, against his side. Mansen's voice cracked. "JJJanella, dddon't hurt mme! Pleeeasse!" Shutting his eyes tight, the thief silently prayed to all the gods he could name and asked himself why he had even approached this woman.

With a deadly smile, Janella whispered, "Tell me all you know, Mansen, and I won't slice you open like the meddling pig you are!" She heard someone or something rustle farther down the alley, in the dark, but she didn't have the luxury at the moment to investigate. Instead, when she heard Mansen start to cry, Janella's patience wore even thinner. "NOW, Mansen! Spill it, or by Takhisis, I'll spill YOU!"

Shaking uncontrollably, Mansen burst into tears. "TThe JJackal's lookiing for you, Jan-nella! I sswear! The w-word's out... y-you took one of h-his---aaaaahh!" Janella pulled him forward then drove him back up against the wall again, her dagger at his throat this time. If it weren't for the shadows, the fighter would've seen the thief's utterly pale features. As it was, his nose was running and Mansen was about to sneeze. Janella growled,
indicating he should continue fast. He did, taking gulps of air.

"Th-they s-s-say you have a-an item... f-from his Desarshaol d-deal! Y-your f-fake wass disscovered! H-he w-wants e-everyth-thing rright by-- by the time h-his next sh-ship a-a-arrives!" Mansen nearly collapsed, his information, all of it, forced from him, leaving him pitifully empty.

Janella gave a quick laugh, for the thief, then snatched her dagger away from him, sending a kick into his knee. Mansen slowly sunk along the wall, whimpering and holding his hands up before his face. Janella knew the act well enough, though ultimately it was true, Mansen certainly did believe she'd kill him. Of course, she would, if she wanted to, but right now, Janella needed to think. Jerking her hand towards the street, she ordered Mansen to
disappear.

Showing a limp, which, depending on the day or when Mansen could remember, afflicted one or the other of his legs, the thief slinked away, sniffling. Watching the route he took, Janella smirked and turned, pulling her gloves on and heading in the opposite direction. If Mansen knew, it wouldn't be long before others found out, and there'd be little time to act once Jackal arrived into town again. Muttering to herself, Janella crossed the street,
taking a path that someone had shown her just the other night, one which led to a cleaner spot of Rhydin.

She'd stay with Kheldar tonight.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Jackal's Goods

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 2:07 pm

Date: 10/27/2001 10:34 AM Central Daylight Time

"Ladies, you must excuse me now, " Lucius smiled, gently pushing a young, pretty woman from him, much to her dismay. Her companion, a small brunette with dark eyes, leaned over with a pout.

"Mon monsieur, don't go, we promise not to hurt you, " the brunette offered him a teasing view as she caressed his knee - while her young friend prepared to unlace her bodice.

Lucius, sorely tempted to stay and enjoy the two, forced himself up from the cushions.

As the women expressed sighs, holding one another close and beckoning to Lucius all the while, Lucius shook his head and reluctantly left them to their own private affairs.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 2:08 pm

Date: 10/27/2001 10:38 AM Central Daylight Time

He wasn't far from where he had to be but Lucius kept a brisk pace as he passed down dim avenues, taking short-cuts where the path allowed. It was a warm night for the season so he hadn't bothered with a cloak.

Turning a bend, Lucius entered a better part of town where the wealthy lived or often stayed. The buildings were larger, finer salutes to architecture, featuring heavy doorways and tall archways.

Some were tall structures, others had balconies above, and nearly all had guards posted outside them. It was to one such estate that Lucius was headed.

The owner was frequently away on trips of all kinds, yet his neighbors might never have guessed how many, nor the nature of his travels, considering that the man was rarely seen entering or exiting the manor.

The estate was heavily guarded as its quiet yet obvious opulence did not go unnoticed by dozens of thieves each year.

Lucius was aware of many other measures taken in the interest of security by the building's owner. Some, Lucius himself had assisted with implementation, and others, Lucius knew, had required a vast amount of gold and some very, very special attention.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 2:08 pm

Date: 10/27/2001 10:42 AM Central Daylight Time

Lucius walked up to the two guards standing before twin reinforced doors and showed them something in his hand. One turned to rap soundly on the left door while the other stepped to the side to allow Lucius to pass.

After a brief exchange, the door was opened and the rich smell of wood and incense greeted him. With a word to the guards, Lucius stepped inside, the door pulled closed behind him.

He was right on time, Lucius thought silently; he wasn't late as he might've feared.

He was precisely on time, which was important when you had an appointment with the owner of this estate.

If you valued your life, your health and your good fortune, you did not keep The Jackal waiting.

"Saxon, " a voice said, "I've been expecting you."
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 2:09 pm

Date: 3/4/2002 11:44 PM Central Daylight Time

In the days that passed following his meeting with Mercer Jackal, Lucius came to know Rhydin's Janella Vallonia rather well, or so he believed. She was known as "Jaded Death, " a tall, beautiful woman with a dark, dangerous reputation.

His original information told him that Janella was an excellent fighter, reliable enough to have been employed many times over the years by local esteemed merchants and land-owners outside of town as a sword-for-hire. She was paid handsomely in nearly all cases, and this type of 'honest' work kept her in good standing with those whom would otherwise regard her as trouble.

For every endorsement that Lucius heard from such rich and wealthy folk, he received yet a very different report from men who operated on other, perhaps lower, levels of Rhydin. From those men, Lucius, not himself a native of the large town, was warned to stay away from the woman they called Jaded Death.

Had she stolen something? Forget about it, they said. Lucius listened to all their words with an amused interest. He never found it necessary to reveal who had sent him; it was more than enough that he pay for the information - and it wasn't easy, even with the gold he had.

Often, upon raising Janella's name, the one opposite him would shrink from conversation and turn away as if not having heard.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 2:10 pm

Date: 3/4/2002 11:54 PM Central Daylight Time

Despite difficulties with finding willing informants, Lucius felt his efforts were a success. He had resorted to threats but a handful of times, physical violence in only two instances, and murder in just one case. And that, Lucius smiled, was a man who might've already been dead - as his hanging was scheduled for the very next day.

It was from that man that Lucius had learned the most about Janella's most recent activities since the Jackal's Desarshaol deal, the theft of the blue diamond necklace of invisibility, Janella's planting of a fake necklace, and what Lucius trusted was the current location of the real one.

Armed with substantial details, Lucius was ready to return to the Jackal, and he hadn't even taken the allotted week to uncover what he needed to.

((This catches the story up to its initial posts from October 2001; it should be assumed that the above events/narrative is from then. Thanks.))
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 2:10 pm

Date: 3/5/2002 1:39 AM Central Daylight Time

"For an Eastmoor-born rogue, Saxon, you are pitiful at multi-tasking, " chided Mercer as he adjusted a balance, adding weight onto the scale by slowly dropping sparkling red stones - which Lucius' quick eyes noted as rubies - onto one of two pans. An uncomfortable silence grew for a moment as Lucius searched for the right words in which to frame an explanation, but Jackal saved him from the need.

"Don't worry, Lucius. I was only kidding, really. Now that the Castleton and Grenadessa works are complete, we can focus on tying up the loose ends from last year." Mercer finished separating the rubies into two equal parts and carefully collected them into matching velour jewel bags. Passing one of them to Lucius, Mercer continued.

"While we are in Rhydin, I want you to take care of that problem we had with that necklace and the woman." The Jackal indicated a carafe filled with a light golden drink and gestured for Lucius to pour.
Selecting two fluted glasses, Lucius did so, not presenting one of them to Mercer until Lucius himself had drank.

"Yes, of course. I'll secure the piece, " Lucius noted Mercer's knowing expression. "The real piece, " Lucius added, also thinking back to what had happened. He tucked the velour bag of rubies into a well-hidden place inside his clothes, a common trick of his trade, and took another drink. "My lord, what do you want me to do with her?"

"The woman?" Mercer chuckled carelessly and Lucius suddenly felt very foolish for having asked. The Jackal shrugged then pointed to Lucius' chest. The rogue quirked a brow, not understanding. Amused by his retainer's confusion, Mercer said, "The rubies, Saxon. The ones you just hid inside your jacket pocket."

"The rubies, Mercer? Why, I thought they were my payment for the Grenade-"

"No, Saxon. They're for the woman. Offer her the little gems, including a one-way trip out of this town, this Rhydin, or, " Mercer sighed, "if she refuses, eliminate her. I won't have thieves running around believing that they can steal from me and get away with it. Let her be an example."

Lucius swallowed and nodded, "As you wish, my lord, " expecting to be dismissed then. Instead, Mercer smiled and handed him the second velour jewel bag. Lucius started to smile.

He was about to thank him, but before he could, Mercer said, "Bring these to Pershia. I promised them a fortnight ago, but wait another night before you leave." Mercer didn't seem to notice Lucius' flash of disappointment. "That way, you'll have another day to deal with the Jaded Death woman, or whatever she calls herself."

This time, Lucius winced; the rogue prided himself on his abilities, but Mercer was giving him a day to find and induce Janella to leave, or kill her?

The Jackal tilted his head as he drained his glass, not waiting for an agreement. "You're excused, Saxon. See to it."