The Duties Of A Princess

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

The Duties Of A Princess

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 9:42 pm

Date: 11/24/2002 10:10 PM Central Daylight Time

"Sarah?" ::A nervous voice trembles through the line.::

The last time she was home, Sarah had set up a phoneline so her mother could reach her if needed. Thus far, her mother still insisted on sending letters which took ages to reach Sarah in Rhydin. The last letter had arrived over 3 months previous…The kingdom was fine, Marschal made a good King, honest, trustworthy and respectable, she wished Sarah would come home, for things were always better when her daughter was around. But she understood her
daughter’s reasoning. She hoped Sarah was serving her father’s memory well and knew one day, her precious princess would make a beautiful queen for Dover.

These letters always hurt Sarah to the core. Her mother’s trust in this man, Marschal Carendy, hurt her, for he had broken his promise to her father. He had come after Sarah viciously and in anger. He had not protected King Samuel’s daughter as he had sworn to do so many years ago, but instead, abused and tormented her. She did not understand her mother’s insistence. She never would. But she never could return to Dover, England so long as King
Marschal ruled, and as long as her mother stood behind this cruel man.

Her mother insisted time and again that she understood Sarah’s reasoning, but Sarah knew better. How could she understand and do nothing? As Queen, she is the only one who can undo what has been done, she is the only one who could free her daughter from this destiny. Yet she choose to stand by and watch her daughter leave indefinitely, allowing this evil man’s rule over their land.

"Mother?" ::a equally timid response:: "Is that you?"

"Sarah, sweetie, I have to tell you something." ::her voice did trail off some::

"What is it Mother? Is something wrong? Are you ill? Do I need to come home?" ::the barrage of questions making it difficult for Mrs. Hunter’s response::

"y-yes, I mean no, you need to come home."

::worry in her voice, she’s thinking a mile a minute:: "But what is wrong? Are you ill? Is there something else wrong?"

"Marschal is dead." ::simply said. slowly, timidly, but plainly::

::a slight gasp from Sarah is all that is heard before a long pause::

Its true she hated that man, its true her life would be easier if he were out of the picture, its true also that he was her husband.

"h-how?….when?"

"He has been quite ill for the past two months. The doctors could not stop his pain and suffering. Some sort of virus or something was destroying his body until finally there was nothing left to take but his life. I wrote to you to tell you of his illness, but I guess you have not received my letter."

"No. I have not received anything. You should have called sooner." ::being short with her mother was not unheard of, but still not what one might expect from someone whose husband died::

::Sarah sighs:: "I will be home as soon as possible." ::it is all she really has to say. What else could she say? So she leaves it at that.:: "Good bye Mother."

"Sweetie…I love you." ::Sarah hears this, yet does not respond, only hangs up after pausing for a short time with the phone in her hand::
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: The Duties Of A Princess

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 9:44 pm

Date: 11/25/2002 4:30 PM Central Daylight Time

Their parting was bittersweet.

Kheldar had come over shortly after the phone call from Sarah’s mother. There was a lot of explaining to be done. Sarah could do one thing only. Sit down and tell him the truth. It would be hard, yes. But it had to be done.

Through tears and embraces, she told him. She told him about her husband in Dover. She told him about his death, she told him she had to go. Had to make things in order back home. It was her duty, no way to avoid it. And he understood. He held her and comforted her, never left her side as she wept in self-anger, hurt and in love.

It would be the first time she uttered those words to anyone but her mother and father. It would be the first time she put words to the feelings she had for him. It was a risk, but in her state, risks were all she had left. Amid sobs… "I love you Kheldar"

And a moment later, "I love you too…"

In his arms she remained, for quite a long while. Her daughterly duty weighed heavy on her shoulders, she dreaded morning’s arrival.

By morning, they together had packed her belongings and talked through the night. She would be home in a weeks time, Rhydin being her home now. She held him as long as she could, until the time came.

The dawn of that new day was not met with joy, but sadness as she gathered her things, leaving him behind.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: The Duties Of A Princess

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 9:45 pm

Date: 12/3/2002 4:36 PM Central Daylight Time

Upon her return from England, Sarah had reunited with Kheldar and Jaycy to tell them the tale. The simple things, of her mother’s constant nagging and of her duties to her homeland. Her being home a reassurance of her choice to make Rhydin her permanent home. And her joy as she hugged Kheldar and once again fell asleep in his lap.

She hadn’t slept well on the trip, who would? Worries of home, her mother, the kingdom and what she had to do. And atop of that her mind, constantly back to Rhydin, her new home and Kheldar, the one she loved. It was not often he wasn’t on her mind, but in his absence from her, she realized her true feelings.

And she worried of his feelings. How would he react to all of this? Was he truly being open and honest with her before she left? Or did he not want to worry her before travel? Was he really okay with what she had divulged? The lies she had told? Could he ever trust her? These things Sarah would never be able to answer, but worry her, they did.

But there in his arms, smiling up into those beautiful eyes, she was reassured of one thing. He wasn’t going anywhere. He was going to hold her as much as she wanted to be held and he was going to smile in her presence. Her worries seemed distant as his grasp comforted her and she drifted easily to sleep.