Respects paid; Time served.

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Thu May 20, 2004 7:09 am

Date: 1/18/2003 3:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time

Dressed as they were, Kheldar and Jonius had no problems moving about the streets.  Most citizens avoided soldiers like the plague, as with Maderyl in office they found corruption becoming more and more rampant.  They went about doing their tasks and after a few hours they met back up.  They had acquired a room at the inn across the street from the offices. 

Kheldar practiced duplicating the writing on their new order papers, while Jonius kept an eye on the offices.  Shortly after noon, Maderyl and his entourage arrived at the building and Kheldar stopped and watched from their window, staring at the red dragon embroidered on the back of the cloak, Maderyl's crest, before he applied the pungent concoction to the letter.  They watched as it's message about raising the price to cross some toll bridge disappeared, and then with painstaking care, Kheldar replaced it with a different message.  They left their look out, Kheldar no longer in uniform, and headed towards the upper-class section of town. 

Jonius, having been there on one or two occasions in the past, led Kheldar to the city home where Maderyl stayed while he was working.  They cased the compound, and after they had found a suitable entry point, Jonius left and Kheldar backed off to wait.  After a few hours, Kheldar entered through a second story window, and made his way to wait for Maderyl in his private quarters.  They had to have a little talk.

The last time he and Maderyl were face to face, Kheld was led off to be executed for treason, conveniently eliminating Maderyl's only threat to the Marshal appointment.  After Kheldar's men had found the decimated village, they searched for survivors.  As they were about to give up, Sarises found a small boy who had locked himself into a cellar.  He was no older than five, and would speak to no one and would only allow Sarises near him.  Sarises worked with him, attempting to find out who did this, and the boy's only response was the dragon men.  They disposed of the bodies and followed the tracks north in an attempt to find the people who committed the heinous acts. 

As they were preparing to leave they spotted another force moving back through the forest.  They all disbursed, readying to fight if necessary, when the oncoming force blew a horn.  It was Prince Maderyl and his personal army.  The prince approached from the ranks of his personal army, who he hand picked and whose armor was adorned with his crest.  He immediately had Kheldar arrested and charged for the destruction of the village.  Kheld's men did not know how to react, and Sarises used his gift, claiming they could win and take it to the courts.  Kheld refused the aid, and told him to contact Lasorici, and he was taken away.

Two nights later Sarises, Jonius and Dilaen snuck into Maderyl's camp, and the four of them escaped.  Lasorici met them and let Kheld to the tunnel to Rhydin claiming he had found it as a boy, planing to hide Kheld there until they could clear his name.  It was Sarises who sensed there were people on the other end.  Kheldar went through, and stayed for nearly six years before returning, and waited nine to confront the murder, a wait that only had a few hours left.  
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Thu May 20, 2004 7:09 am

Date: 1/19/2003 11:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Prince Maderyl cursed to himself as he paced through his house.  His men had not been heard from yet, and Sarises' name was still listed on the scrolls.  With him still in the running for the newly vacated Marshals office, Phelanis, Maderyl's chosen candidate, had no chance.  He could control Phelanis while Sarises would oppose him at every turn.  He had worked so long too get to that position.  His men were now holding four of the council seats, and if could get this one he'd have a majority, as well as full control of the army.  He'd be able to retake full power, but now it was all slipping away.  The clock chimed once, he sighed and had a word with the nearest servant before retiring to his quarters. 

Maderyl was so occupied trying to come up with a solution to the current problem, that he did not notice the was not alone as he entered his room.  Nor did he see the boot that collided with his chest, sending him sprawling backwards on to his back gasping for breath.  Kheldar grinned slightly to himself, imagining the reaction that the kick would have gotten back home in the Outback as he followed through with the spin and hastily moved to subdue his prey. 

As the prince attempted to rise, he reached for the dagger he kept in his belt, but he was quickly slammed back down onto the cold stone floor, sending the weapon skittering towards the wall.  Kheldar quickly clasped a hand over his mouth as he pressed his knee to the man's chest, pinning him down.  Maderyl struggled to free himself, and as his eyes adjusted to the lack of light, the expression on his face melted from panic and anger, to horror.  Kheldar just smirked and allowed his enemy to ponder his own death a moment before continuing. 

"So glad to see you again Mady.   I thought you might have forgotten about little old me."  He looked almost amused, "You can quit lying to God about how your so sorry, I'm not going to kill you.  Today.  I once did swear to protect the people of Alirgia and you apparently still live here.  This, however, will be overlooked if you ever harm my friends again.  I believe that I've proven that I can find you when I wish, and that you are incapable of doing anything about it." He patted the man on the cheek slightly, and then looked at the door momentarily as footsteps echoed in the hall beyond it.  "Well, as much as I'd love to stay and chat some more, but I think I've made my point, and I do so wish to return home.  Sleep well, and pray that we never have to meet like this again, because you will not enjoy the next time we do this." 

He slammed the man hard with a swift left, knocking him out, and then one more for good measure before he exited back out the window.  As he scaled the outer wall, he turned and looked back seeing a light turn on in the room he just left.  He cursed to himself.  He had hoped he'd be able to get further away before Maderyl was found, but at least he wouldn't be able to give them a description for a few hours at least.  He slipped over the wall and hustled down a few blocks, hearing angry shouts draw closer behind him.

When he got a safe distance, he ducked into the shadows, and hastily reequipped himself in the Alirgian armor, and then waited a moment before stepping out into the street, and joining the search for the mysterious attacker.  He started to make his way towards Heidna's, when he heard a call from behind him.  He cursed, stopped and went back.  The voice that had called him was a Captain in Maderyl's personal guard, and was organizing a search, to which Kheldar was forced to join. 

It took him till nearly dawn to break away from the party and it was fully light by the time he got to the Mole's Mug.  His chance to escape in front of his wanted posters and the price on his head was gone.  He would not be able to get out until the sun went down, and he wouldn't be able to travel during the day. Kheld had someone send word to Jonius and then moved to Heidna's basement to wait out the day in one of the lesser known rooms, sighing to himself as he did.  His return would take at least a day or two longer than he expected.