Whose responsible?

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Whose responsible?

Post by DoF Archive » Thu May 20, 2004 7:35 am

Date: 3/9/2003 12:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time

You're giving opals away for the top intergender people? Moonberyl is going to be given away?

Horrible idea, I'm embarassed for ever holding Moonberyl, seriously.

Ugh.

~Dustin
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Thu May 20, 2004 7:36 am

Date: 3/12/2003 12:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time

From a historical sport standpoint, I'll point out that all the Opals were originally given away as prizes in a Diamond Quest (the exact one escapes me, they're all a blur). 

((Author's Note: Some references in this storyline refer to elements found the Wing Commander game series produced by Origin))
DoF Archive
Archivist

Date: 3/12/2003 7:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time

That's completely different. That's a tournament on a certain day where the best person win. This rexemplifies more like in the emerald rankings, the highest ranking emerald is awarded the opal. In doing this, you're potentially allowing a guy and a girl to reach a certain minimum number of duels and then stop dueling so they can get their opal. How is this helping the duels? You also mention that the top male and female get the opals. What if the top male is 10-0 and the 2nd best male goes 19-1 and the top females is 7-3. The 7-3 chick gets the opal? When has the Outback tried make things more fair between the genders. Honestly Matt, the idea of the DQ was much better. A few days away is the DQ too.

As a former holder of one of the two opals, the only word here for this idea is terrible.

~Dustin
DoF Archive
Archivist

Date: 3/13/2003 1:11 AM Eastern Daylight Time

If you think 10-0 doesn't deserve an Opal, assuming you think having an Opal is a good thing, you're an idiot.

I guess I'm not surprised Dustin said this.

Stick
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Thu May 20, 2004 7:37 am

Date: 3/13/2003 5:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time

10-0 vs 19-1

Does 10-0 deserve the opal more than the 19-1?

Answer this.

this is where you will go today

www.gnort.com
DoF Archive
Archivist

Date: 3/13/2003 8:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Stick,
      Great job at reading my post and totally misinterpreting it. I wasn't going to say anything. Go back and read the post. If you're still too slow to get it, then shuddap.

Gnort,
      I wasn't sure if you were posing the question to Stick or I. Yes, the 10-0 guy would have to get it because there's no looking past the better win %. However, you've made it know that you think things are based on *opinions* so I'll answer this by asking you a question. If the person who goes 10-0 fluffs his records against pansy chicks/guys does he/she deserve the opal, is this skill?

This should be done in a tournament among peers of the Emerald rank. It's how it has always been done, the DQ falls in this category, and any other methods unlocks scenarios that are embarrassing and is general a bad idea.

~Dustin
DoF Archive
Archivist

Date: 3/14/2003 5:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time

You don't like it Dusty, tough luck.  Win the IGW then.  Or you can challenge the one who does win it.  But for god's sake, quit your bitching.  You sound like those whiny people in the basement under the inn.

----------=Thorn=----------
DoF Archive
Archivist

Date: 3/21/2003 5:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time

"If the person who goes 10-0 fluffs his records against pansy chicks/guys does
he/she deserve the opal, is this skill?"

You're making the assumption that being an Emerald denoted a superior level of skill. It generally does, but like all such systems, it isn't foolproof. Any idiot can make Emerald if he tries long enough and hard enough. Just look at Anubis. Conversely, what about skilled duelers who just don't have the time required to make rank?

And tournaments are not the be-all and end-all. People have lucky nights. I actually think that this idea, which requires a duelist to be a winner over a whole cycle, is better.

Cassius Gaius Maximius