Never forget a face. Grudges are fun.

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Never forget a face. Grudges are fun.

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:45 pm

Date: 3/5/1998 4:52 PM Central Standard Time

Janella Vallonia was not known in Rhydin for kindness. That afternoon, a man had approached her, asking if she would join his guild. Like most of his type, he was convinced that he and his band would one day rule the land. Janella laughed darkly to herself. Their conversation had been enriching, to say the least. If there was one thing that Janella hated, scorned, despised more than anything, it was acoward.And that man, she did not know his name but she knew his face, was just that: a worm. After offering up several weak insults at which Janella barked back sharper retorts, the man fled at the sight of the warrioress's sword. How utterly pathetic. The scum did not deserve to live, and even more revolting was the fact that he claimed to be a king!"A king among swine, no doubt, " Janella spat.She could've ran him through at the moment he turned. She could've killed him. Certainly, Vendetta's tip would've struck through his innards, ending his life forever. But the fighter had laughed and allowed him to escape. There was no real shortage of food in Rhydin. The Inn always had a good dinner served up on a nightly basis. One could hunt for one's sustenance, but that kind of chase never inspired as much excitement as a hunt for vengeance... for retribution... a hunt for one undeserving of life and begging for murder.Janella Vallonia would learn this dog's name, and she would carve his initials beneathe his throat with her dagger."We'll see if he's truly the king he claims to be, " Janella purred. "I have yet to see lifeblood run blue!"
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Never forget a face. Grudges are fun.

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:46 pm

Date: 3/9/1998 6:28 PM Central Standard Time

King CowardRhydin's square was crowded that night. It was late in the evening yet many were still roaming the side streets, some wagons were still open for business, and the taverns, including the famous Red Dragon Inn, were bustling with those eager for drinks and warm company. The air was humid from a mild rain. Most of the roads were thick with mud, but in town some of the newer, cobblestoned streets were clear of the mess.The area in front of the Red Dragon was populated with humans, humanoids and horses. The usual gathering of local drunks were slouched in the alley, milling about carelessly. One of them gave a wheeze and puckered his lips suggestively to Janella as she stepped from the shadows. Spinning, the warrioress flashed him a hideous leer, her eyes narrowing. Realizing the woman was armed and obviously unappreciative of his attention, the man turned andpulled himself towards a barrel as quickly as he could. He cursed his own ignorance as one of his older companions laughed and murmered, "don't you recognize her?" The other shook his head, scowling. "No, " he replied, "I don't." His companion sobered a moment, his eyes darting down the alley to the receding figure. "You'll get to know her soon enough. She's called Jaded Death. You still wanna kiss her?" The younger man gasped andreached for his bottle of spirits, paling, as his companion fell into another fit of dark laughter. "I didn't think so, " he cackled.The Inn's door swung open and a man stumbled out of the noise and smoke and into the street. A good number of people were still drinking and conversing outside. They glanced to see who was coming out of the Inn, seeing a rather ordinary looking male wobble down the steps. The crowd took little notice as he was joined by a woman. The two headed away from the Inn, ducking into another alleyway. Apparently, they were just another amorous couple. The man, in his bleary intoxication, chuckled in anticipation. He was obviously lucky tonight! He had unexpectedly found some female company. He felt her push up against him and his pulse quickened as she awakened his senses.The moist air clung to them both, and the man caught the scent of leather and something else. It was familiar... something he had met with just recently... it was, by the Gods, it was that woman! A strong, sure hand suddenly took him by the shoulder and spun him about. He gasped and tried to squirm out of her grip but to no avail. She held him hard, and he heard the distinct sound of a dagger being drawn. Where were his guards?"You sickening dog! I told you that I would find you!" Janella laughed. "You claim yourself a king? Let us see your royal blood!" His eyes rolled as he looked about frantically, shaking in her arms. "I can give you money, wealth, land, anything you want! Let me go! Just let me go, please, and I will give you anything!" His voice rose and echoed down the alley. Janella spat then shoved him back against a wall of barrels. A light shone down from a window above them, and the man suddenly saw a blade being brought for his neck. He made to scream but Janella slammed hergauntleted hand over his mouth, pushing his head back as she kicked his shin."Milord! Milord, I am here!" A figure started into a run down the alley towards them. Janella sneered into her victim's eyes, a cruel smile twisting her lips. The king shook violently, straining against her and trying, desperately, to call out.The warrioress heard the sound of mail clinking and a sword being drawn. "Release your blade and move away from the king, " the soldier cried, "or face death!" With a shriek, Janella slashed Terminus across the king's throat, ending his struggle. Blood errupted onto her gloves and down her body. The king choked and twitched reflexively. Janella threw him to the ground then turned to meet his follower."It's you that's facing death, worm!" She leaped forward, grinning savagely, Terminus gleaming in her leathered grip. The man seemed to hesitate then lunged at her, his sword moving for her shoulder. Janella whirled around with a massive kick, knocking his blade to the cobblestones and sending him crashing to the far wall. She jumped into a high roll overhead, spinning through the air before coming to a landing at his feet.The man's eyes widened as he tried to scramble up, his chainmail not making it any easier. He saw the impossibility of defeating this woman, especially now that his sword was at least fifteen paces away from him. She was looming over him with a dagger. He kicked at her, then tensed to rise."Don't bother trying to stand, " Janella thrusted her gloved hand, with Terminus gripped in it, into his nose. The soldier fell back to the wall again, groaning. She hissed, dropping to a crouch, and drove the dagger into his chest, surpassing the glittering metal links of his armor. He gasped, his mouth working up and down as he fought for breath, then slumped over to the stone once his life had left him. Janella rose, pulling Terminus from thebody, wiping the sunsteel along the soldier's clothed knee. She looked down at him in disgust, wondering what kind of fool he was to have followed the other, much less to have pledged loyalty to him. Janella Vallonia did not tolerate cowards, men who ran, those who, when denied their desires, hurled insults and then turned tail when they couldn't defend themselves. Pathetic, too, were the slime that paid these craven pigs homage and offered themfealty. Scornful, Janella stepped away from the scene, moving through the dank air towards the opening of the alley. The same crowd was outside the Inn. No one seemed to care or take any notice as the fighter pulled at her hood and headed off down the street, leaving the two bodies as they lay in the alley's darkness.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:47 pm

Date: 3/9/1998 10:09 PM Central Standard Time

Ian stood wiping down the stone countertop in his deli, much like he did every night. There had been a comotion in town earlier that he had overheard in a conversation between winos on his most recent hunt for a certain "leech" that had become a thorn in his side. Rumors started spreading about a giant woman that held the fury of a lion with a thorn in her paw... a woman that never seemed to fess up to the many
"nobles" that seemed to come out of the woodwork, most of them dressed in the same rags as the vermin that littered the many alleys near the bars.

Ian had to chuckle as the newest "nobles" fell to someone with higher skill. He held no love for the people that could sit on their thrones of bones while others got their hands dirty. As he scoured down the counter with a dirtying rag, Ian waited to hear the next tale of the giant woman, who bowed before no man.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:49 pm

Date: 3/11/1998 10:22 PM Central Standard Time

"Five and eighty silver pieces and they're yours, Janella." The leather worker eyed the cloaked woman before him, admiring her fine features and regal poise. The warriroress ran gloved fingers along a pair of rich brown boots. It was obvious that the man had crafted them well. Janella recognized the quality of the leather and she considered the price. After a few moments, she wrinkled her nose, however,and turned as if to leave."Janella, what is it? This is my best work! Come, come, what is it that displeases you?" "It's not your work, Graston." Janella, smirking, pulled at her cloak, looking out to the street outside the shop. Graston stepped closer to her, wanting to place his arm about those strong shoulders yet he refrained from doing so. Graston, afterall, was not a fool."Janella, " he lowered his voice, gently even, "You wear a belt which I cut, eh? Just the proper thickness, the buckle seated just right? Indeed, I know it slips on... and slips off with ease---- ""Graston. Please." It had been one night, at least six moons ago. Not bad, but not entirely world-shattering either. Janella changed the subject, thinking back to her match with Agravain Uziel in which the boy had sliced at her calves, just above her ankles. "It's not your work, " she repeated, continuing, "That little bastard ruined my best pair of boots." Graston glanced off to the right, dismissing the boots she was referringto (they hadn't been his work, but the labors of some outlander). "My mighty swordswoman, these things happen in duels. As I said, ninety silver pieces and this exquisite pair is yours!"Janella's eyes widened and she spun around, fixing Graston with a sharp glare. "Why, you trickster! Five and eighty, you said! Five and eighty!""As you wish, Janella Vallonia! Sold, for five and eighty silvers!" Graston grinned at her, courting trouble, he knew, but enjoying it entirely. She was so dangerous, and so very beautiful. Graston would give half his inventory for another chance at her. She was simply remarkable. He sighed, inwardly.Janella smirked, looked him over for another moment, then drew a velvet, sable pouch from her belt. "You're such a knave, " she chided. She needed the boots anyway, and she knew that Graston knew it, too."Oh, that's why you love coming here so much, eh?" He laughed, smoothing his apron, unable to keep his eyes from her as he moved to the safebox. Janella laughed as well, watching him bend to deposit her coins in the dark container. There was something about a good-looking man in leather that was hard to resist.