Fire Over Ice: Challenge

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Fire Over Ice: Challenge

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:57 pm

Date: 2/20/1998 6:15 PM Central Standard Time

She entered at the end of a practice session, still breathing hard, and bruised. The note, it's handwriting spare and elegant, was placed upon the board with a blue thumbtack.

"To the duellers and family of the Outback:

I am officially posting my intent to challenge Nova Grey Shadow for the Blue Opal he wears, IceDancer.

We have mutually agreed to a challenge date of Tuesday, March 24th, at 8:00 pm, so long as Nova's home committments do not interfere. The caller is his choice - I know you all, and know your ability.

I want now to explain why I am challenging, and the significance of the date.

There are two reasons the date is so far ahead. One, I would not want to challenge someone after only having been back two weeks. That goes against everything I believe in, and while you might think my challenging now belies that, I assure you it doesn't. If I lose so badly in the weeks to come as to prove unworthy, I will retract this challenge as surely as if I had never made it.

Second, Nova has a committment to his home world that goes beyond any competition. I know about it well, and I'd never ask him to break that. Nor would I even consider making him forfeit it to me, as the rules state. That's the lowest thing I can imagine, and I could no more do that than steal it from him. Indeed, that's what it would be. And let there be no doubt - I will meet him on whatever terms he wants.

On the nineteenth day of this month, I make this challenge, before you all, and remain:

Shannon Kimberly Colton
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Fire Over Ice: Challenge

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:58 pm

Date: 2/20/1998 7:00 PM Central Standard Time

::Adding his own offical take on the match Robert saunters to the board adding a brief reply.::

Duelers of the DoF,

Just to clarify the issue I would like to add a few words. The rules do indeed state that the Opal is required to reply to the challenge match within two weeks of it being issued. The intent of this rule was to keep an Opal from putting off a challenger for to long of a time. However, in this case Shanni has agreed to wait for Nova's personal commitments to be finished rather then win by default.

It is my feeling that everyone wants to see a duel rather then the Opal simply handed over without a fight. This is a most unusual situation one that in writing the rules I did not think of. Many arguements could be made for both sides in this case. But again when it comes down to the issue being solved by default or by a duel, I choose a duel.

Those of you who have thoughts that differ may fill my letter box as you see fit. I look forward to a spirited contest between champion and challenger.

See you in the ring,
RDI Tex
DoF Team Leader
DoF Archive
Archivist

Seven Down

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:58 pm

Date: 3/17/1998 6:53 PM Central Standard Time

Forty-seven. Forty-eight. Forty-nine.

Fifty.

Release, drop.

She landed on the mat, barefoot. In the warmth and safety of her own home's gym, Shanni was relentlessly practicing, working out, preparing. There were seven days left till the duel, and hard as she had worked, she still didn't consider herself ready. That didn't worry her, though - she held herself to nearly impossible standards, she always had.

The short black hair clung wetly to her head, matted with perspiration. Her muscles ached from the intense training, and the sweat stung her eyes. She leaned against the wall for a bit, her hand blindly finding a waterbottle. A long drink cooled her thirst while her mind went through strategies, over and over.

She didn't remember training this intensely even for her first Diamond Quest, so long ago. Nor for any duel as far back as she could remember. So why...now?

That answer was obvious, even if she wouldn't directly let herself think it. Because it was him.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Forgettin' Yer Troubles

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:59 pm

Date: 3/24/1998 3:32 PM Central Standard Time

Eldarion had not slept well in almost a week. Dreams of his mother, his failure in the ring, his blood, the death of his father...everything seemed to wash over him like some kind of phychologic titlewave trying to drown him. Although he occasionally used alcohol as an escape, his father taught him a better way to forget one's troubles.The day was late and the sun was setting when he finally reached Rhydin. Although he prefered a good cigarette, for some reason he could not refuse the pipesmoke at this time of day. He packed the elvish pipe his father had given him and lit the mixture as he strode across the street to the doors of the Outback.As he reached the exterior of the building, he heard the familiar sound of someone sparring in the rings. "Ahh...mayhaps this trip was not so much of a waste...some competition," he said.He opened the door slightly striding quitely in as his pipesmoke flowed about him following his movements. As his eyes were adjusting to the light he could hear the person intense in their practice. Not wanting to disrupt the training, he took a seat in one of the far corners of the Outback. He traveled lighter than normally, only dressing in his clothes beneath his cloak. The warmth of spring was already about.He leaned back in the chair silently, enjoying the pipe while the person continued, losing himself in memories of the past...recalling his own training sessions with his father.After the tobacco in his pipe had been used he came out of his own memories and focused on the dueler still intense in practicing. It was the woman he had spoken to on his first outing to Rhydin, Shannon Colton. He watched her style and technique for a few moments, studying her movements and attacks.She was intriguing. Her balance, form, power, stature...all apparently flawless. To Eldarion, it was like watching some kind of fluid ballet...except this was no friendly dance...this was deadly. His father tried to teach him some of the basics he learned from watching Shannon fight, and not even Aragorn could execute those moves as fluid as the movements he was now viewing.He suddenly wanted very much to spar her...to learn this style, this perfection...and for the time being he forgot his troubles.He stood and silently began to make his way over to Shannon, stepping across the practice mat. His mind was so intent on learning, he wasn't even aware of anything about him... including a small child sitting on the mat in front of him. A split second before he was about to sprawl on top of Kaylan, in mid-step, he saw the small child looking up at him in a questioning gaze. He had nothing else to do but fling himself over the child onto the ground.He missed Kaylan, but he fell flat on his face. He laid there for a moment, dazed beyond reckoning, until he finally shook the dizziness out of his head. He needed not look up to notice Shannon had stopped her practice and was now making her way directly at him...when he did see her, however, the look on her face was not kind...
DoF Archive
Archivist

Anticipation

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:00 pm

Date: 3/22/1998 5:34 PM Central Standard Time

Kaylan played quietly on the practice mat in the rear of the Outback, her attention only occasionally drawn across to where her mother was training, as she had for weeks now. The little girl was used to it; used to the sound of heavy leather being abused, used to the unceasing sound of her mother's hard breating, and used to the occasionally yell or cry of attack.

For Shanni, the time wasn't nearly so calming. Questions poured down like the rain, and she did her best to answer them; even as she did her best to prepare. Was she really ready for this? Would she go into this with a level head and keen eye? Or would she go in ablaze, with guns firing?

Even she still didn't know those answers. This was a duel of magnitude, to be sure - but she'd had those before. Pressure wasn't an issue for her, she knew she had nothing to prove. Even to herself, now - she knew her place was secure here. Nothing could take that from her. This was going to be a battle of skill, certainly - but she was ready for that. Proud she was of that which she'd learned.

A battle of power, yes - he would not only have the advantage of the Opal's powers (something she was still not sure how to counter), but of his own hereditary powers. Those she knew more about, but countering them was another thing too. But she had power of her own, she knew - a strength that went beyond her stature, an ability to take punishment that rivalled anyone's. And eyes that saw more than the light of physics; only recently had she begun
to understand how that would serve her in battle. It would be her advantage, if she could control it.

No, it all came back to emotion again. Almost invariably people tried to test her in the ring, to chide her into becoming angry, to make a mistake. Mind you, that was a stupid move - enough had been on the other end when she *had* snapped - but she was proud that IN the ring, she rarely succumbed to that. Ironic, that she had better emotional control in a duel, than in her daily life...an irony she'd reflected on many times. But he would present
a situation that her control just might not be able to handle. He wasn't your average opponent, and that reflected more than his skills or that Opal. It was *him*.

She'd worn a ring from him once; a promise of union, a rememberance of better times. She still had that ring, though she still couldn't bring herself to look at it. Now that promise was dust - but the feelings remained. Mostly anger,(only slightly) now, and the wondering of what 'might have been'. He was also the father of her child - that was something you can't forget. And memory had done it's best to outdistance her...and failed.

Now there would be a reckoning, for them both. He would face her, and face *all* of her feelings, whether it be bitterness still, or merely a desire for revenge, or just catharsis. And she would face herself - if she could not defeat that demon, she could never defeat him in the ring.

That time of reckoning drew near. Outside considerations were dwindling away...