Questrion Manor

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Questrion Manor

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:28 am

Date: 8/27/97 10:51 AM Pacific Standard Time

It was a cold, damp morning when Valmion walked out into the courtyard of Questrion Manor.
He had been back in RhyDin for a few months now, and still he had much to put back in order
before the House of Questrion would be back where he wanted it.

He thought about the negotiations with Lord Doogal as he moved to the large wrought iron gate
that led to the streets of RhyDin Town. Though the negotiations were at a snail's pace at
present, at least they were moving forward. With his homeland destroyed, he knew the
importance of reclaiming this land for the thousands of refugees of Vulirica. He knew he needed
to find them a new home and to this end he had Brigath and Draven working the negotiations.

"You have nothing to bargin with," Jonalyn's words seemed to haunt Valmion as he turned from
the gate, moving back down the stone path to the main entrance of the manor house. "Nothing
to bargin with," he repeated to himself, then took a long drink of coffee from the pewter mug he
carried.

"Good morning Valmion," the familier voice said from behind the Lord of Questrion. Turning,
Valmion saw Moralitor walking towards him, the long black and silver robes of the mage trailing
behind on the stone path.

"Aye Moralitor, a fine morning it is," Valmion replied, then looked back to the gate and the road
beyond. "I saw your statement in defence of Luthien's Baronial position, and I must say you
surprise me Moralitor," Valmion said, turning once more to his oldest and closest advisor.

This brought a small laugh from Moralitor, who had walked over to the two large rose bushes
that were thriving to one side of the entrance to the manor. He took a long sniff of the fragrance
that drifted in the air around the bushes that were in full bloom. "I felt it was time that a stand
was made against all of these worthless challenges being issued," he laughed as he spoke. "And
you catch to much grief when you stand up for something, so I felt I should be the one in this
instance," the mage turned from the bushes and smiled at Valmion.

"We shall see how it develops Moralitor, we shall see," Valmion returned the mages smile, then
headed up the stairs before stopping in front of the door to the manor, turning and looking down
to Moralitor. "One last thing my friend," Valmion said. Moralitor looked up at the Lord of
Questrion, "Yes?"

"Thank you my friend," Valmion said with another smile before stepping into the manor house. He closed the door behind him and started down the long hall, passing doors to many offices along the way before reaching an intersection. He would have continued straight, heading to the back of the house and his private study, if it were not for the sound of swords and a girls laughter coming from the basement below. He turned and noted the door to the dueling basement open, and proceeded to go investigate,
not sure which of his house would have someone over for the night and be dueling her the next morning.

(TBC)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:28 am

Date: 8/31/97 7:39 AM Pacific Standard Time

Arlingond laughed as the young girl made a move to thrust, the young man sidestepping quickly to his right. The girl softly giggled herself as she quickly changed the move and tripped up Arlingond with a quick low cut. As he hit the ground he heard his fathers voice from the top of the stairs.

"Well done Sylfarin, it seems you have taken well to the blade," Valmion said walking down the stairs smiling at the two youths practicing their skills.

The girl stopped and sheathed her slip longsword, fastening the leather strap around it's hilt. Arlingond quickly picked himself up and dusted off, sheathing his own blade.

"Thank you m'lord," Sylfarin's soft voice replied as she inclined her head in Valmion's direction. The Lord of Questrion reached the bottom of the stairs and looked over at Arlingond.

"It seems you are making some enemies in the arena son. There are many who do not like to hear such things," Valmion said, walking towards Arlingond. Sylfarin turned and made her way to the small bar in the manor's basement dueling area. Pouring herself a cup of tea, she sits and listens to the two men.

"Father it is what I believe. I am not attacking Gnort, but the issue. Gnort just happened to be the one I finally decided to take a stand on. If he would not have challenged, it would have been Ecore's challenge to Adeena," Arlingond replied as his father now stood before him.

Valmion reached out and put his hand on Arlingond's shoulder, hesitated for a moment, his green eyes looking into the silver ones of his son. "Be careful son, for I cannot take a stand on this issue, it will be your torch to carry," Valmion said softly, his words barely audible to Sylfarin.

"I understand father," Arlingond replied. "This is my quest, I shall gain or lose by it".

(TBC)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:29 am

Date: 9/1/97 10:51 AM Pacific Standard Time

Arlingond watched as he father went back up the stairs, not sure how Valmion felt about him questioning Gnort's challenge, but knowing he would not get involved told the young man a lot. He sighed softly and turned to Sylfarin.

"Care for another practice, I could use it," Arlingond asked, his silver gaze a bit on the gray side. The young girl looked over and let her fingers brush Arlingond's cheek.

"No Arlingond, I need to go and exercise my other half," she said with a soft smile. "You would be better left alone at present, so I will take my leave," she continued, standing from the couch. She made her way to the stairs and quickly up them, giving Arlingond one last smile as she exited the basement.

He was then alone in the dueling basement of Questrion Manor, quiet and serene as he thought about the events and words of the last few days. He looked over to the three empty rings that were in the basement and stood. Slowly he made his way to one wall and looked at three plaques that hung on the wall.

The plaques had been made by Valmion to honor those of House Questrion who have held title. Arlingond made his way to the first one, running his fingers over the well cut ebony plaque, then the inlaid silver writing. "Draven Alturis II, 10th Bearer of the 5th Ring", the first one read. He moved to the second, once again, his silver gaze taking in the letters written. "Moralitor the Black, 2nd Bearer of the 9th Ring".

He then moved to the third and final plaque, letting his fingers brush it's surface as he read, "Valmion, 13th Overlord". He leaned forward, his forehead touching the cool surface of the plaque and whispered to himself, "Soon father, soon it will be my turn".

(TBC)