Falling Apart

Read-only archive for the Duel of Magic
DoM Archive
Archivist

Falling Apart

Post by DoM Archive » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:40 pm

Date: 10/16/99 10:48 PM Eastern Standard Time

Vincent looked up at the night sky and shivered as he drew a breath from the chilly night air. How long had he been searching now? It had to have been at least a few weeks, but he had lost track of time since he began. Sitting down under a nearby tree, he rested and tried to focus his thoughts.
"Hah, me, Vincent Valentine Michael Smith, the kid who thought he could take on the world with one hand behind his back, admiting defeat. Never thought this day would come."
How many ways, how many things, had he lost since he left home to come to this strange land as a final exam to see if he was ready to become a full Mask. He finds the lady of his dreams, only to lose her just as quickly. Worse than that, he failed her when she needed him the most. No, not only her, but every Mask that came before him by not upholding the Code.
He sighed and shook his head. "Luna, I know you can hear me. Look, it was nice that you helped me out when I first got here, and I know that you had to let me do things on my own to see if I was ready, but I'm not. I've failed, and when I go back to Mr. Espinha and give my report I'll have to go on living a normal life again. I wish.....I just wish that..."
Standing up, he unsheathed his honor sword and just went berserk, cutting down any tree or plant that was near him. "It's not fair!! I worked so hard to get here. I was the only one tough, brave, and smart enough to pass the tests. All I had to do was do what I did back home here in Rhydin. But no, I had to go and fail the woman I love. Starr, if you can hear me, I'm sorry. If I had only done more...than you might still be at my side today."
He calmed down slightly and put away his sword. "So what now Luna? Tell me what I do now!" Silence was the only response he recieved.
He started to cry, something he hadn't done since he was about nine or ten. And he kept crying, as the truth began to set in. Starr was lost to him, for good. And when he got the message, he would have to go home and pay for what he had done. He cried himself to sleep, but right before he did, he could have sworn he heard a voice in his head.
"Nobody's perfect"