Of daggers and things. (Caedia)

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Of daggers and things. (Caedia)

Post by DoF Archive » Sun May 16, 2004 11:05 pm

Date: 4/27/2001 3:11 PM Central Daylight Time

::the night was still dark and rather dreary for the most part.. but then what night wasn't when you were working? Leaving the man beside her to sleep peacefully, she shifted her legs from beneath the sheets to fall neatly to the floor. Her curled hair still played neatly over bare shoulders, and she quickly remedied that to allow for the normal bun to play its part::

::crickets were making their own symphony as she quietly tugged her outfit on. A soft kiss to his lips ensured her that she had sufficiently wore him out, and she dared to take out her newest prizes. Keeping her back towards him just in case he were to wake up, silver gaze caressed the magnificent crystal daggers before her in awe. Her fingers trailed the eyes path along the Egyptian etchings before she finally wrapped them back up and tucked them
neatly into the deep pocket that she'd had tailored in her cloak that morning after speaking with her newest "boss".::

::her mind was already reeling as she delicately put her cloak on and slipped out the door, not bothering to look back at her partner from the night.. she had only done what she had to preserve the job.. not out of love. Guilt played somewhat on her mind, but she didn't dwell.. after all, how long had it been since she'd seen Bane? He could be dead for all she knew.. and most likely was. He never told her where he was going.. what he was doing..
in fact, it dawned on her slowly that he probably had some other woman somewhere else::

"Way to go, Thorn. Falling for a man." ::she clucked her tongue at herself as she stepped into the brisk night wind. She loved nights like this.. where it was just cool enough to make you want to snuggle, but warm enough to walk with only a shirt on if you pleased. The wind smelled wonderful and fresh, and suddenly.. it really wasn't so dreary. Things were going to work out::

"I'm going to get back into my game. Forget Tareth, forget Bane.. forget all that love crap and emotional baggage. I will *not* live in my brothers shadow any longer. I will *not* wait around for a man who's probably doing to some other woman what he's doing to me!" ::she was talking to herself to give her courage which she so desprately needed. She had neglected herself entirely too long with her escapades to seek out Rhawn and Iain. From now
on, she'd toss emotions out the window and become Sade.. or Raven once more. She nodded affirmatively at her inner thoughts as she traveled down the pebbled path. The fling with the other had only stifled her plans some what. She hadn't really planned on swiping the daggers earlier.. she'd only meant to stake out and learn of her target. It had only been too easy::

::she snorted at that thought, scaring a couple that had been walking down the path in front of her albeit slower:: "Sorry.. just a thought." ::she waved her hand absently and the pair went back to their slow pace and mushy love games no doubt. Gods she hated all the couples and their seemingly easy and love filled lives. She hated the women that were so confident and secure. Hated the women and their "love glow" and the way they always seemed to
have something to look forward to. She hated all the couples and their perfect little families.::

"Augh!" ::a foot lashed out and knocked over a trash can along the path, venting her anger in an echo of hollow tumbles. Her angry, hurt cry had silenced the night sounds most immediately around her::

::she waited at the end of the cobblestone path, restlessly until finally there was a stage coach going her way. The ride was grueling and long.. but well worth it. Daylight shattered silver gaze as she stepped out from the dim but elegant coach. She'd managed to catch a bit of rest and even smiled at the grumbly driver. Leaving him a huge tip, she gathered up the hem of her cloak and skipped over the huge puddle of water he'd parked in. The
morning dew made the building look as if it were alive and sparkling.. she'd never felt so alive and sparkling herself in so long::

"You want them seperated? Why?" ::the woman's curiousity was amusing the Caedia. She realized how weird this all seemed::

"Let's just say that the family heirlooms are near and dear to my heart. I want to keep one as back up in case someone were to steal this one from me."

"And why the black magic wards to protect it? Do you not feel that simply hiding this in the safety deposit box would suffice?"

"It's added insurance.. not that I don't trust you guys.. I just don't trust my enemies." ::truth be told, she didn't trust anyone.. her brother came the closest to that and that wasn't saying too much either::

"Very well then, I'll need your signature here, and a few drops of your blood to seal the ward. Now realize that in doing this, only you or your family will be able to undo this seal. And they would have to give their blood.. there's no gaurentee that it would match and undo the ward unless they were of close kin."

::Caedia merely nodded and signed her name carefully on the already yellowed contract. It felt odd, but worth it, afterall.. her boss didn't know that there were two daggers.. only that she had to swipe a dagger. That was all she'd been hired to do. What harm would it do to learn more and find a good buyer for the second? She could see no one losing anything.::

::she stepped out into the light of day once more, rubbing the end of the pricked finger softly with her thumb. There, it was done. She had seen the wards at work, watched how they were impenatrable, even to her.. and her blood was the key. How nice. Now all she had to do was find Jaycy and finish her end of the deal. Clean cut, clean out. Things were looking up.::

"Way to go Thorn. Now maybe we find another city to start living in and doing business. I'm thinking.. Thorn! Thorn Raven.. and we'll work on a last name from there."