MISSING: One Door

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

MISSING: One Door

Post by DoF Archive » Sun May 16, 2004 11:57 pm

Date: 6/23/2001 12:50 AM Central Daylight Time

It had been a normal night. Right up until the guy with the screwdriver began removing one of the doors, hinges and all, from the Outback’s frame. The patrons stood, mouths agape, while Sarah made efforts to figure out just what the guy was doing (beyond the obvious, that is). Failing to make any sense of it, she shouted, "I will not have people damaging the Outback on my watch!"

Pausing a moment, she added, "Come back on Sunday to do that! I wont be here then so it's not my responsibility!" Ha! If someone was going to take the doors, let them do it with Trin and Jux around. It’d give Trin an excuse to blow something up. The man, though, did not heed her words and continued on with his work.

Quite distraught about this unusual occurrence (who steals doors, anyway?), she ran over to the door and grabbed hold for dear life. "You'll have to take me too," she insisted as he began to drag her *and* the door out into Rhydin’s streets. Having the gall to ask, "Is that an invitation?,,,You'll really like my door collection." With that, the man (who’s unconfirmed name was Edible, henceforth, "Ed") began to drag door and Sarah both away.

"Someone wanna help me?" It was a desperate plea from the door’s valiant protector.

"Tell you what," says Ed. "You can keep the handle. I don't really like the handles." Now he was mocking her? She was only trying to save the dead wood! Thankfully, another Outback patron, Claudia, approached (but not before altering her shape into that of a dragoness; that’s what it looked like at least). Scaly creatures aside, Sarah was just happy to have help, even if help was a metamorphing beast.

While all three now struggled with the door, the dragoness and Ed began arguing over exactly *who’s* door it was while Sarah became quite openly agitated. Ed, taking note of this, increased his efforts to wrest the door away, only increasing her fury!

"If I flashed a big shiny badge at you and said "Door Police!", what would you do," he challenged.

"I'd ignore it and summon Matt!"

The threat made, she had no choice but to follow through. With quick action and fast reflexes (who knew how fast he could move with that door, anyhow), she sent a message to her boss, Matthew Simon, via datapad. And, thank goodness, a few moments later he arrived. Immensely pleased, she filled him in on the situation at hand. The door thief was still here, too, caught red handed!

Trying to wriggle his way out, Ed asked "Erm....you know, I really am a fan of that door. Don't suppose you want to sell it?"

"Ahh...no, I like the doors," replied the recently arrived Outback owner.

Sarah, the dutiful employee, examined the door, noticing scratches and marks. "You are gonna have to pay to fix this," she triumphantly pointed out.

"Instead of paying for it, I'd buy it...but I guess I can't do that."

When asked why he wanted the door, Ed matter-of-factly pointed out, "Because it's a door. And it has hinges attached to a room. You really should see my collection someday."

"How much you want to pay for it," asked Matt.

The man tossed Matt a softball sized bag of coin, "That could probably buy you a new door. More or less as fancy as the current one."

Taking one look inside the sack, Matt glanced up and spoke, "Door's yours, man. Have at it."

"Woohoo!" Ed had won! The door was his!

After the initial shock of Matt’s actions passed (she’d called him here to help, not sell off the door!), she composed herself.

Looking at her boss, she posed the simple question, "Uh, how am I supposed to lock up tonight if you sold the door?"

With a wise look and equally simple answer, he replied while hefting up the bag, "Lock the other door?"

That did it. She wasn’t about to stick around while he sold the place piece by piece to the highest bidder. And while Matt sought a way to cover the newly opened gap where a door used to be, she scolded him. "I only agreed to stay until 2 am so now I'm leaving this place in your very capable hands. That's why you make the big bucks buddy!"

Feeling that she’d successfully chastised him, Sarah left, wondering why Matt hadn’t stopped Ed in his tracks but feeling pleased that she’d gotten in the all important last word. It’d serve him right if the place became the newest thieves attraction. It would serve him right indeed.