A Diamond's Gem.

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

A Diamond's Gem.

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 9:01 pm

Date: 8/25/2002 11:30 PM Central Daylight Time

"Chris, I really am sorry," Ria said apologetically, easing down into the large recliner as he dropped the suitcase next to the couch before falling onto it. "It's all good," he replied, looking over to flash a quick tired grin. "Least we know somethin' should happen soon," he added, chuckling. She nodded slightly, sighing as she lightly rubbed her large stomach with one hand, the other dangling over the arm of the
recliner.

"You'd think I'd know the difference between labor an' indigestion," she muttered to herself, tilting her head to rest it on the back of the chair and closing her eyes. "This's the third time in two days it's been a false alarm." She sighed, slumping a little more and slowly drifting to sleep.

She woke slowly, moaning softly as the hand not resting on her stomach moved behind her, to lightly touch her back. "Oh, man." Wincing slightly, she struggled to pull herself semi-upright in the chair, having almost fallen out in her sleep. A little squirm in the chair, and she frowned. "Man, I'm gettin' sicka this." It took a moment to push her bulk up, but she did, and finally moved out of the living room and toward the bathroom,
one hand on the small of her back, the other on the bulge at the front. Mid-travel, she stopped, hand coming up to hold herself up on the wall as a pain wracked through her. "Crap!" The pain eased after a few moments and she continued on her way, shutting the door softly behind her.

A few minutes later, the door opened again and she moved through, pausing as another pain shot through her. "Oh, man. It's not false now," she muttered through gritted teeth. Waddling back into the doorway to the living room, she looked to the still-sleeping Chris on the couch. A soft sigh, then she turned and moved to the phone. A number was dialed, then she spoke her request in hushed tones.

"Yah. I needa cab. I'm like, havin' a baby an' needa get ta the hospital." She spared a glance toward the living room, then gave the address. "It'll only be a few minutes? Coo', thanks." Quietly she replaced the earpiece before making her way to the door, and through it as quietly as possible.

A few minutes after she got outside, the cab arrived, a bright pink contraption trimmed by forest green. She gave a little shudder before getting in, almost falling as another contraction hit. "OW!" She panted a few minutes, then called to the driver she couldn't see (he was a dwarf, wouldn't you know) "Rhydin General, an' quick. Please." The dwarf grunted acknowledgement, then sped off.

"I shoulda woke Chris. He'd drive jus' as bad." She winced, holding tight to the seat in front of her as the driver took another hairpin right turn. However, she had to admit, they had made it to the hospital quickly. She dug into a pocket and pulled out the fare, passing it through.

The door opened and she found herself staring at an orderly. Not only hadn't she expected to have someone there, well, the young man had pale blue skin. She stared a few more minutes before finally managing to stammer out, "I'm in labor." The orderly nodded, offering his hand. "I know, lady." He gave a smile, then helped her out and into a waiting wheelchair.

They quickly made their way into the emergency room, to find two nurses ready and waiting. A wave of relief went through Ria as she realized at least these two were humans. They greeted her with a smile, then as one took Ria's vital signs, the other asked her the necessary questions to get the paperwork taken care of. Finally, both were done and she was put into a hospital gown.

"Listen," she said. "Can y'all do me a favor? My husband's at home, I left him there cuz he hasn't been sleepin'.. " She paused to wince, then continued. "I been uh, keepin' him up an' stuff. Can ya call an' tell him where I am?" They nodded with a knowing smile, then took themselves out after promising to take care of it.

She groaned after they left, trying to relax and remember what she had been taught.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: A Diamond's Gem.

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 9:01 pm

Date: 8/25/2002 11:33 PM Central Daylight Time

The phone rang and Chris groaned, throwing his arm over his head. "Ria, get the phone..." he called groggily. A few moments later, it was still ringing and he sat up, rubbing the back of his neck. "Ria? Ria?!" With no answer, he stood and moved quickly through the house, cursing as she proved to not be in residence. With the phone still ringing, he dove to get it.

"Yo, Ria?" he called into the phone by way of greeting, voice carrying just a hint of worry. "No, Mr. Graziano," the pleasant young lady's voice returned. "This is Nurse Sanders. I'm calling to tell you that your wife is at Rhydin General, and she's just been admitted. She's having her baby." Chris swore into the phone, almost shouting "I'm comin'!" before dropping the earpiece and dashing for the suitcase. He grabbed it and the keys, then tore
out of the house and into the car. In but a few moments, with a squeal of tires, he was on his way.

Ria moaned, closing her eyes against the pain. As it subsided, she realized a jovial-looking, older man had slipped into the room. He smiled, stepping forward. "Mrs. Graziano, I'm Doctor Edinburg, and I'll be filling in for Doctor Samuels... if that's okay. She's unfortunately taken sick and can't be in today." He spread his hands in a gesture of helplessness. Ria merely nodded. "Yah. Jus' call me Ria." He took another few
steps in, at that. "Let's just take a look and see how you're doing, Ria."

Chris scrambled out of the car and just barely remembered to snag the suitcase before dashing into the emergency room. "Where's my girl?" he called out. Nurse Sanders looked up from the patient she had been talking to, murmured to the young lady a moment, then stepped over. "Mr. Graziano, I presume?" She gave a friendly smile, meant to be gentle and encouraging. Chris nodded in response. "Yeah." She motioned for the other nurse
to go talk to the young patient, then began to walk down the hall. "This way, please." He followed closely, looking around.

Dr. Edinburg retrieved the chart from just outside Ria's room, glancing over it a moment. After looking up, pondering, he stepped back into the room. "Mrs. Graziano, everything looks fine. Things are going a little slowly, but that's understandable in a first pregnancy. What I'd like to do is get an IV in you, in case we have to get you some fluids to make sure you don't get dehydrated, and to give you some nourishment if this goes
a while. Is that okay?"

Ria nodded again. "Yah. Ya sure I'm alright?" He gave an encouraging nod, with that smile. "Very sure, Mrs. Graziano. Things are going very well." He stepped out, to call a tech. A moment later, a young pale creature (likely elven) had slipped into the room and was inserting the IV.

Chris and Nurse Sanders made it to the room just as Dr. Edinburg exited. He gave a warm smile and nod to the younger man. "Mr. Graziano?" At Chris' affirmative response, his smile widened. "She's doing wonderfully. Things are going a little slow, but both she and the baby are fine." Chris gave a sigh of relief. "Word, thanks, Doc. I'ma go see her, a'ight?" Dr. Edinburg chuckled, nodding. "I think she might like that," he said,
opening the door for Chris. A moment later the soon-to-be-father was inside.

"Chris!" Ria exclaimed, hearing the door open again and looking to see who had entered. "I'm so sorry I didn't wake ya up, I didn't wanna bug ya, ya needed ya rest." She babbled a few more seconds as he put down the suitcase and moved to her side. "It's a'ight, babe. You doin' okay?" "Yah," she replied, "but it.." she paused, grunting. "This sucks!"

He chuckled then, taking her hand. "Hold my hand, you be a'ight. It'll be over soon." His free hand reached out, to brush a lock of hair from her face. She offered a wan smile in response, silent for a few minutes before quipping, "Ya so lucky ya a guy. We ain't doin' this again." He nodded with an amused look, squeezing the hand gently. "A'ight, works for me."

Dr. Edinburg stepped in, warmed by the sight of the young couple quietly talking. As Ria had another contraction, Chris coached her through it. The doctor watched approvingly, sure the two would be good parents. That made him happy. He truly cared for his patients, both adult and newborn. He remained in the background for another moment, then cleared his throat gently to alert of them of his presence. "Mrs. Graziano, if we can
just check again?" He paused, glancing to Chris. "It might be a while longer, so maybe you could go get come coffee in the waiting room?" Chris glanced from Ria to the doctor, then nodded, moving for the door. "I'll be back in a few, Ria."
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: A Diamond's Gem.

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 9:02 pm

Date: 8/25/2002 11:36 PM Central Daylight Time

And so it went, through the day. Chris got snatches of sleep when he could, spending as much time as he was allowed in the room with Ria. Things progressed slowly, but late Sunday night, the doctor had some pleasant (at least to the couple) news.

"Soon," he told them, "we'll be taking you into the delivery room, Ria. You're almost done. Mr. Graziano, if you'd like to be there, we'll need to get ready now." Chris paled, but nodded and followed the doctor out. They moved down the hall and into an almost-empty room with a large basin. Dr. Edinburg turned the water on, showing Chris how to scrub properly to be allowed in the delivery room.

They stepped into the delivery room to find Ria there, and ready, legs propped in the stirrups. Two nurses came forward and slid sterile gowns over their arms and tied them in the back. The doctor then motioned for Chris to take Ria's hand after the nurse slid long gloves onto his arms. As Chris moved into position, Dr. Edinburg took his place at the end of the table, gingerly lifting the sheet that had been covering her.

"Things are looking fine, Ria. Now, we're going to need you to start pushing, when I tell you to." "Okay." The reply was a little weak, and tired. He touched her abdomen lightly, then looked down. Another contraction hit, and Ria groaned. "Okay, push." Her hand squeezed tight around Chris' as she bore down with the contraction. "Excellent!"

"I can see the baby's head," he announced several minutes later. "You're doing great, Ria. Push again." He timed the words with another contraction, and the young lady obeyed, encouraged by Chris.

"The head's coming out," they finally heard, and paused a moment to breath a sigh of relief. It was just a moment however, because another contraction hit. This time, Ria didn't need to be told to push; she simply did. "Excellent, Ria!" was the response from Dr. Edinburg, and a moment later they were rewarded with news the shoulders were coming out.

"Almost there, once more. After this, it'll be easy." Ria couldn't really tell who the words were coming from, but she gave one final strong push, and first the second shoulder came through, then the baby slid entirely free. A nurse moved in swiftly to cut the umbilical cord and clear the air passages. Dr. Edinburg waited a moment, then lightly flicked the bottom of the newborn's foot. Immediately following came a lusty cry, and Ria slumped back
in relief as Chris grinned.

With a smile of satisfaction, Dr. Edinburg took a moment to rest, watching for the afterbirth. A nurse took the baby to the side, to wash and bundle the child. She returned a few moments later to Ria, carrying the now-clean baby. With a happy smile, she offered the baby to the new mother. "Congratulations. It's a boy, a perfect boy."

Chris let out a cheer, hearing the news. "Hellz yeah! I gotta son!" The staff and Ria both chuckled, Ria bringing their son to her chest, to look down on him. "Oh, he's so beautiful," she breathed, looking up to her husband. "Thank gods he doesn't look like ya."

The afterbirth was delivered without notice by the happy couple, and they shared in the joy of their new son as she was cleaned, then wheeled to a post-partum recovery room. The new parents looked down to the boy as he took his first feeding. "Welcome, Tyler J Graziano," Ria whispered, then looked up to Chris, who was still grinning quite goofiy, like a little boy. "Tyler fo' like, Tony an' Tical, an' J fo' Jack an' Jinn."