The Test of Worthiness

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

The Test of Worthiness

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:25 am

Date: 10/18/1997 12:43 AM Central Standard Time

I have failed in me responsibilites ta me record as yer diamond. Perhaps da ones saying I'm all luck were right, we shall see. I could hide and try and steal a win with paper duels (email), but dat is not da way of a champion, it is not my way. I will face da improbable task of defeating 3 emeralds in a single night, without failure. It may be da only way dis community will give me a chance ta be a good diamond, I know it is da only way da rules
will give me a shot. I will not look too far ahead, I hope ta be successful, time will tell. In da end all I wanted was a shot...I got dat, perhaps I shall have another.

I await Ringo ta let me know which 3 Emeralds I shall face. All I ask is I be allowed ta choose da night and time of me test.

Respectfully,

~Jeffrey Oakenshield~
11th Diamond of DoF
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: The Test of Worthiness

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:26 am

Date: 10/18/1997 10:52 AM Central Standard Time

::reading over the post, shaking his head, speaking outloud to himself since no one else is about::

So if he loses, that was a total waste of a Diamond Quest. Might as well have left it vacant after Marzan retired. This is getting insane.

::walking away without putting pen to paper for comment, interested in seeing how Ringo interprets the rules now that Opals have been added into the equation::
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:26 am

Date: 10/19/1997 2:37 PM Central Standard Time

It's an interesting problem.On one hand, if the three chosen to fight Jeff in the test are from the ranks of the Opals, then they are the very same duelers which Jeff had to defeat in last week's DQ to get the Diamond in the first place.We all know that everyone has a good night and a bad night, not to mention that the spirit of a Test is far different from that of the DQ. If Jeff were to lose, what would be the point?I think the test of three is far too similar to the DQ to make it reasonable at this point. Perhaps just a test of one would be appropriate, perhaps a former Diamond -- someone whose reputation is above reproach... or, rather, considering Jake, at least not far below reproach.As a suggestion -- Have Jeff select three Emerald/Opals whom he would choose to fight in the Test. Tex should also select three he feels are worthy. If there are any who are on both lists, then one of them should be chosen to do the Test (randomly, if need be). If there are none who are on both lists, then combine the lists and pick one at random.It may seem complicated, but, then again, this is the first time that the Test would be used, and there is no precedent. Moreover, Jeff is honorable enough to volunteer for the Test, which changes the situation from what it would be if he were to have to take the Test by falling too low in WoL. There should be some allowance for clemency.- Percival
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:27 am

Date: 10/19/1997 6:11 PM Central Standard Time

Percy..Jeff did fall below the WoL requirements for Diamond (at least when the Standings come out he will have). He's not "volunteering" because he feels like it...he chose to take the Test rather than try and regain the 15WoL through paper ((email)) duels. this Test has been in the rules since, as far as I know, the beginnings of the Duel of Fists. This is just the first time we have ever had to put it to use. If I was in the same situation as
Jeff, I would expect to face a test of three, not one. And, although the test is unprecedented, I think it should go forth as the rules specify.

--Matt
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:28 am

Date: 10/20/1997 1:58 AM Central Standard Time

Oh, well, in that case, let him run the gauntlet. He knew the rules.Still, I kind of like my suggestion that the three Emerald/Opals that he has to fight be chosen my nomination, and not by random selection. However, I think the RDI's (and not Jeff) should each pick three who they think should take Jeff on, and then compare notes to see if they agree on anyone.(btw, current standings still show Jeff at 17 WoL, hence my confusion).- Percival
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:29 am

Date: 10/20/1997 8:21 AM Central Standard Time

Aye Percy, I knew da rules, which is why I will face my test rather dan seek da aid of paper duels.

And when da standings come out Wednesday and mark me at 14 WoLs, and when I am tested by 3 Emeralds, I will prove it is not da record of a dueler dat makes him a champion, it is his heart.

I will not go down easily, I will face me test ta prove again I deserve ta be da Diamond of da Duel of Fists.

~J
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:30 am

Date: 10/23/1997 2:53 PM Central Standard Time

Jeff is my friend and my fellow dueler, but he does deserve to face the test. My only problem is that I agree with Nova. It is insane to leave the Diamond rank empty if Jeff were to lose. Something needs to be done.

DA
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:31 am

Date: 10/23/1997 6:56 PM Central Standard Time

Fellow Pugilists,Nova makes a good point, reiterated by Ulath. Should Jeff lose, the Diamond will be vacant, which suggests something of a waste. On the other hand, having another DQ so soon after the last is going to be troublesome.Perhaps something like a tournament of Opals? This would leave one Opal rank open but that is tolerable until the next DQ. My only other suggestion would be to have a quick, single-elim tournament of Emeralds.- Percival
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:32 am

Date: 10/24/1997 12:50 AM Central Standard Time

Fine den..guess I better not lose ;-)

~J
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:32 am

Date: 10/24/1997 3:36 AM Central Standard Time

A vacant Opal could be determined by tournament...wasn't there something mentioned in the new rules about that? Just wondering.
Fist Fighter, Emerald, Pupil of the Black Rose
-=Ryan Mercury=-