Long Live the King!

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Long Live the King!

Post by DoF Archive » Mon May 17, 2004 9:26 pm

Date: 10/31/2002 4:04 PM Central Daylight Time

"Long live the King!"

Kheld blinked, turning toward where Jaycy was a minute ago. He had an uncharacteristic frown on his face, a crown being placed on his head. That frown deepened, seeing the gypsy seemed to have simply... vanished. He shook his head, then stepped away from the balcony and the cheering people in the square below.

What had Jaycy done now...

Jaycy stared out the port of her cabin, lightly rubbing her growing stomach. Kheldar was due in a few minutes, and they would be reaching Bryony's shores shortly. She could have used the crystal to transport them all, but she didn't want Sarah to know she had such a thing... it might raise suspicions in her friend. A tight, grim smile crossed Jaycy's face as she thought of her work a few weeks ago. "Every bruise was well worth it," she muttered,
starting as a knock came from the door.

"Come in," she said in what she hoped was a normal voice. A moment later, the door opened and her old friend stepped through. "Yeah?" Kheld asked, closing the door behind him. "Kheld, afternoon." She motioned toward a comfortable wing-back chair, chuckling softly as he settled himself in. "I know you're not going to like this, but I need a favor from you. This will be my last trip to Bryony for some months, and I need someone to come back and
forth in my absence. You and Bane are the only ones I would trust, but... well... Bane'll be with me." She spread her hands in a gesture of helplessness.

"I'm too pregnant to keep making the journey. If I continue, it could be risking it. They've already said I'm not getting enough rest and if I don't find a way, they'll lock me in a room with no outside contact." She offered a wry grin. "We all know how much I would love that." They both laughed a bit, then Kheld spoke up. "What about Cas?" She tilted her head a moment, very slightly, then shook it. "He's too warlike. Bryony is a peaceful
nation; I wouldn't trust him not to do offensive maneuvers in my place. You, though... you know peace, and you know fighting isn't really an answer." He shrugged a bit.

"This won't be for long, would it?" Jaycy shook her head in answer. "No, not that long. Just a little longer than I've asked you to do this before. You'll be doing the same things, but because it will be a little longer we'll need to have a special ceremony-slash-meeting to confirm your authority for such a time."

He watched her a moment, then shrugged again. "Alright, I guess so." She nodded at his answer, flashing him a grateful smile. "Thank you so much, hon. We'll go over the ceremony when we get ashore. Why not go spend some time with Sarah?" He chuckled, pushing himself up. "Alright." With that, he took himself out, and Jaycy allowed herself a smile of satisfaction.

The first phase was almost finished, and all was proceeding smoothly.

"After we say the ritual words, I hand you the Sword of Bryony and you slowly sheath it. That means you're taking - for now - the care of Bryony in your hands. Don't worry, it'll glow for a moment, but that's all show." He looked down at her a minute skeptically, and she offered a winning smile in return. Something in that smile should have warned him, but he was too trusting of this little woman. He simply chuckled a bit, looking over to Sarah.

"Asta shalni vise min Keng!" Jaycy's voice rang out across the square before she passed the gleaming sword to Kheld. He took it, slowly sheathing it. She stepped back and behind him, as he said quietly "Asta shalni vise maj Keng." Suddenly, the shouts of "Long live the King!" rang out and Charles stepped forward, carefully holding the crown between two hands.

As Kheld frowned, looking around... he was crowned King.