Preparations

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Preparations

Post by DoF Archive » Thu May 20, 2004 7:48 am

Date: 5/16/2003 7:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time

-Two weeks ago-

"4:45, PJ's had 'nuff sleep." His arm fell back to his side as he calmly stepped around the side of the Golden Ivy. The kind of grin that would make most shy away and hunt for a secluded rock to hide under curved across his lips. Like a human fly he scaled the side of the building until reaching the appropriate window. Inwardly he winced while prying open the window and the creak it made when jimmied open.
   With stealth that could put SIS to shame he crept to the bed, lingering a moment to observe PJ in her sleep. A whisper cutting the silence, "PJ, wake up, time to bail. PJ.." Now a little more force behind his tone along with a shake to the mattress. "Ge' up ya sleepin' beauty." Rolling to her side PJ whimpered out a moan, though not yet awake. It was getting closer to 5 AM now, and he was growing impatient. Instead of trying to wake her again he cupped a hand over her mouth to conceal the screams. Her own writhing and kicking tangling her in the sheets. He scooped her up and charged out the window, granted the landing wasn't as graceful due to the added weight of another.
   By now his chest was burning from the repeated knees, and his back throbbing from punch after punch. What a mouth on this girl, sheesh, where's a spoon full of caster oil when you need it? "Let me go you son of a --!" More flailing about and the shadowed figure stopped, but the string of curses did not. "Ya'd better watch ya mouth, missy." He murmured. She froze at the voice and craned her neck around to peer directly into the sidelong glare from dark eyes. The lump in her throat made speaking difficult. "C.. Cory?"
He nodded and continued on.
   "What the hell is this all about?" There wasn't much other to do than slump over the shoulder. He was in control and she had no clue where she was. Besides, what time was it? The sun was just breaking the horizon!
"I'll tell ya later, for now jus' shut up." Was he just an early morning grouch, or was it all the punching and kicking that put the harshness to his words? "The least you could've done was let get into some clothes." she snapped. Which reminded her to tighten the sheets around her chest, from now on she'd wear longjohns to bed instead of those skimpy underthings.
   Their little walk through the woods went well into the morning hours before, she had grown bored and resorted to drawing swirls and loops on Cory's back with a fingernail.. and without a single reaction. "Mind telling me where we're going? I'm hungry." she had to break the silence between them. Last time she checked she didn't speak bird or squirrel. The silence was driving him insane as well, PJ couldn't see it, but he did grin. "We're headin'way from the city for a while, more importantly away from Anubis. I don't trust tha' bastard one bit. Ya saw wha' he did to Harris."
   "Yeah, but you still didn't answer my question." a snooty retort. His only response was a chuckle at the rumble he felt from her empty stomach.

For a moment she had nodded off, it was such a smooth ride, no bouncing, no bones digging into her side. Sleep was the best way to forget how hungry for some breakfast she was. Then a sudden sense of weightlessness stirred her awake with a yip. The grip of fear left when she realized she was still in capable hands til her bare feet touched the ground. "We're here." Cory pointed with his chin at the solitary building amidst the trees. A thin brow quirked. "That's the place?" she was quick to judge just by viewing the outside.
   The weather tested wood gave the structure a dark color, it was simple, easily constructed and small. Before entering Cory paused and slid the sandals from his feet then guided open the door. "Ladies firs'." he slapped on a confident grin and followed soon after. There she came to bear with two other figures, a shocked gasp and she clung to Cory. "I thought we'd be alone!?" The bite of reality jolted her thoughts back.
   "The l'il brat there is, Leo." he pointed out the the slim preteen. Eyes to rival Cory's sparkling bright at seeing the big guy back. There was no containing his joy as he charged and sprung into Cory's arms. His tender voice a betrayal to his fighting ability. "Where have you been?" Cory too wore a big smile. "I tol'ya I ha'ta go'way for a while, bu' I'd be back. Here I am!" Leo slid back to the floor and about that time and grumpy 'ahem' was heard from across the way.
   "How could I forget.." sucks in a breath, prepared to pay hell. "..this is April." PJ's eyes shifted to take in the beautiful young woman, she'd have estimate she was in her twenties, chilling green eyes that could tame a man in a heartbeat locked onto PJ. Slender arms folding over her petite frame, glaring daggers at PJ. Almost territorial. "Ya two, this is PJ. She'll be stayin' wit' me. Nothin' is gonna be changin' round here. I still wan' ya'll up 'fore the sun for trainnin'." This was Cory's attempt to intervene between April's glare and PJ's timid stare.
   A faux smile was presented and April turned to exit the room. PJ sighed softly, Leo tilted over, hand hiding his mouth. "You'll have to excuse her. She's bitchy". Leo groaned at the hard thump to head. "Wha's wit' youngsters and cussin' these days?" "Well, you said it." matter-of-factly Leo spurted out without thinking, prompting him to run. Cory simply chuckled. "Now, PJ." he motion for her to follow. "Ya'll be stayin' in my normal room while here. I'll be sleepin' in the dojo in the event 'someone' tries anythin'." PJ's smile grew as he adjusted her bedsheet dress, deftly tucking a locke of hair behind an ear. Lurid innocence gleaming in her eyes. "Thank you."
   Dark brows knitted, confused by the look. Something she'd never showed him since he knew her. "Y-Ya welcome." Now was his turn to to push his stomach back down where it belongs. "Ge'changed an' meet us out back." At that he pivoted and started back down the corridor into the main room. Giving PJ plenty of time to admire Cory's backside as he walked away.

Bland, that was the best way to describe the room: four walls, a bed, bedside dresser and a small.. very small closet. PJ fell back into the bed with a sigh, wanting to drift back to sleep. It was only 9 o'clock, normally she'd still be asleep. Cory's words echoed through her head and she reluctantly sat up and eye'd the drab clothing. "At least they're well concealing and no bright colors." There was a quick change and she emerged from the room to the sounds of activity out in the main room.
   Creeping to the threshold of the the corridor she peaked around the corner to see little Leo straining in his workout with Cory standing firm and assessing the boy's progress. Then she felt the prick of eyes on her, not one set but two. Both Cory and April had spotted her. With a weak smile she shuffled into view, recieving a gentle smile from Cory and more cold glares from April. What was her deal? From the get go she gave PJ an uneasy feeling.
   "Very good, Leo. Take a moment and spar with April." the boy obediantly halted all movement and bowed respectfully. April, she simply stepped forward and began calmly swatting away the advances from Leo like it was no big deal. Cory took confident strides toward PJ, then past to open a door leading to the backyard. Vibrant colors filled her gaze, a small fountain left an echoing trickle as he led her down a rock path through the the small grouping of flowers.
   "I wan' ya to know.. I'm sorr'a 'bout gettin' ya into this figh', Peej." the gentle tone tearing her attention away from the ripples. "I can't say I'm pleased at the idea of having to fight Anubis." No holding back the scolding glare, causing a wince from Cory. "..but I'm in capable hands, right?" Cory nodded, pivoted on a heel and continued the stroll. PJ quickened her pace to catch up. Standing side by side Cory dwarfed over the young woman, features lit up and shadowed by the sun to give him a certain, magnetic ruggedness. Whenever she was close to him she felt safe. She was invincible. They ended up walking in a circle, completely silent; both enjoying the warmth of the mid-morning sun then retreated to the shaded indoors.

Waking up at 5 AM wasn't any fun at all, Cory's new attitude and harsh methods weren't helping either. Every morning started off with a 6 mile jog, after mile one she was already complaining. "My leg's feel like jello!" she spurted in between gasping for air. "Good, when you can't feel them anymore then you'll shut up!" Cory barked in reponse, dark brows knitting when he whirled around to find her several yards back. Hands on her knees and sucking in air like it was in short supply.
   Suddenly, he was inches away from her face. "Did I say ya could stop?" the cruelness in his words caused her to step back. "N.. No, sir." and back to jogging. "Thin' about somethin' else to take ya mind off the burning in ya legs." his pace picked up and she struggled to keep up. Occasionally she would wheel around in mid-stride to check on her. "Don't fall behin' darlin'. Step it up." In an uneeded display of stamina he sprinted off, taking a commaning lead and further until he was a speck in the distance with a dust trail. In response PJ stopped, blinked and just watched. "I hope he'll teach me that sometime."
   Back at the shrine, "I hardly call a five minute rest enough!" she protested. "As I last recall you turned back and didn't complete the jog." Thick arms rose to fold over his chest. "You'll be sparing wit' Leo today." little Leo hopped up, full of youthful vigor. "Right, master Cory." "Woah, woah. I gotta fight him? Bu.." she got a glare from Cory, nothing more. PJ sighed, "Alright." her feet felt like cement blocks as she trudged to the center of the room. Leo dipped his head and settled into a stance, PJ did the same. "Begin." the order was given and the two started. Leo took the early offensive, try and try she deflected what she could with the methods Cory taught her. Until the burn of a light smack touched her cheek, then she was flattened to the mats.     
   "Hold.." Cory stepped forward and loomed over PJ. "Again." The scene repeated itself many times until she finally warded Leo off enough to Cory's satisfaction. "You've progressed well on your defensive timing, PJ. I'm proud of ya. Though it did take ya almost a week." that last little tid-bit murmured. "Tha's 'nuff for today." PJ released a thankful sigh and collapsed in place.