Of Diamonds and Quests (Summer)

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Of Diamonds and Quests (Summer)

Post by DoF Archive » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:52 pm

Date: 1/7/1998 6:39 PM Central Standard Time

Summer saunters into the Outback and gives a slow, accusing look at the site of the Diamond Quest through her puffy and red eyes. The Outback was strangely benign: empty save for a few scattered chairs, and loose bits of score sheets. In a soft cracked voice she whispers, "Ta Marzan if ya gonna hurt me Jeff, I gonna bite off ya ears."

A soft butterfly flutters in her ripening belly, "Do nae worra Dirk, none will harm our Jeff afor ya be born. I never hae a da, an' I will nae let a Diamond Quest deprive ya o' yas."

A soft voice echos behind her as a slender woman, her own pregnancy a mere secret behind the soft black shirt she wears, appears in the doorway. A friendly smile flashes under a flame of hair, "Heyas sweetie, Lucian say I find ye here. Want te ride back with me te the manor?"

Unbidden, the words blurt from Summer's mouth, "Me Jeff gonna die He gonna defend his Diamond an' someone is gonna kick him in ta temple an' his brains gonna spill out o' his nose! How can he be a father if he hae no brains?"

Morte slides her arms around Summer, listening quietly to hysteria, "Why do ye think that? He be a verra strong boned lad."

Summer pushes her away and moves to an empty ring, her hands fingering the ropes as her voice drops to a soft accusing whisper, "I remember, it be in ta Outback when he broke his arm. Tha' be afor his match wi' Ellisa. None could heal it, an' it took a sorra time ta heal. Ta magic here fails sometimes. I remember, oh Morte," Her voice cracks, "Wha' if he break his back, o' his head this time.."

Morte diplomatically refrains from bursting out into laughter hearing the crazed tone of one the throws of pregnancy. Fondly she remembered her own with the twins, when she had become convinced that the vines growing outside her window would allow goblins to come in and snatch her children. Of course the ancient vines had been cut away, much to the amusement of the servants and the bemoaning of the head gardener.

Humor and love seems the best way to fend Summer off. Opening her pouch and she pulls out a nose strip, "Have him wear this so it will nae happen. Anything that tries te come out of his nose, will stay there."

Unbelievingly, Summer accepts the nose strip murmuring, "An' wha' if they jab their thumbs into his eyes? Morte, he promised no challenge matches for ta Baron's ring, but he *forgot* ta mention ta Diamond Quest."

Gently Morte reaches out again to brush back a long strand of black hair plastered to Summer's cheek with tears, "Have ye told him how ye feel? That be jus like a man, eh.... te be forgettin te 'portant things. Have ye told him how ye feel?."

Mutely Summer looked into Morte's liquid black eyes. How could she tell him? If she told him he would worry about her worrying, and in that way make a mistake, perhaps fatal. Yet, if she did not tell him, Summer's heart shivered, then he would walk into these rings exposing himself to danger. And what if she were to succeed in talking him out of defending the Diamond? That would kill him as surely as a broken neck. Dueling was in his blood, it
was his essence.

Summer tries to find the words to tell Morte, but only manages a small desperate sigh. Finally, her voice drops as she whispers, "I do nae know wha' ta do. But I hae dreams, I dream his nose gonna be smashed into his brains. His brains spill out over ta floor and he slips on them falling into his grave, and..." her words fade away as she shakes her head staring at an empty ring as if it is where it were happening.

Understanding rose in Morte's eyes as she pulls the frightened mother-to-be close again, "Och, now sweetie... ye jus tell him... but men need te be men and prove their prowess. Just as some women need te be women and prove theirs. I seem to remember hearing about a certain pregnant duelist who is still dueling in the team league despite her advancing belly?"

Summer protests, "But tha' be different, all be usin' practice blades wi' me an' this, this be for ta Diamond. There be many eager duelists, an' none be here for ta practice. They be workin' and plannin' for this moment. They be here for one thin' an' one thin' only - ta Diamond. There be no pullin' punches or holdin' back snap kicks. Oh Morte."

Conflict flutters in her heart, but as Morte's hand drops behind Summer to rub the tender spot mid her back she ventures with no qualms, "I could drug him for ye."

Summer's eyes brighten as a secret smile steals across Morte's lips. She opens her pouch and pulls out many small packets. She rummages through them and selects one tied with a red cord. "This be strong and gentle and will make him sleep for 'bout a day. Just put it on his food 'bout an hour before ye want him te sleep. Ye only use a pinch, so ye could do it many times I must warn ye' the side effects do make a man lusty."

Summer closes her hand around the packet whispering, "So he nae suspects anything when he sleep through ta Quest, just think he be old or ill?"

Morte nods as she takes Summer's arm. "Sweetie, lets get back te the Manor. Ye be exhausted and maybe this will look better after some sleep. Maybe ye decide nae te use te drug, but it be there for ye if ye think ye be needing it."