Results of the First IceDancer Challenge

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Results of the First IceDancer Challenge

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:03 pm

Date: 3/25/1998 3:22 AM Central Standard Time

Results of the First IceDancer Challenge: On the night of March 24, Shannon Kimberly Colton did engage in combat with IceDancer, the Opal held by Nova Grey Shadow, for the right to wield the blue gem in the Outback's rings. Having trained for weeks, perhaps longer, Shannon entered the Outback in better shape, physically and mentally, than she has been in for quite a while. As for Nova's preparation, any done was nullified for in an ironic twist, the Opal somehow froze its owner keeping him from competition. The IceDancer itself thus engaged Shannon in the best of three event, its intent probably to seek out the worthiest owner. Prior to the evening's festivities, all rings save Styx were cleared from the Outback floor, allowing plenty of maneuvering room for what was to come. The records of these matches are what follows.Match One: Occurred in Ring "The Outback"Special Notes--For this match, the duelers were allowed free reign over the entire first floor of the Outback. Tables, chairs, the bar, everything was put into play in this, the first round match. The audience was guided up to the second floor to watch, andhere they remained for the duration of the night. Although IceDancer took an early lead with its dodge, Shannon took the first full point and never looked back. With her fists leading the charge, this match was a straight up duel of brutality, with nothing held in check. The Opal seemed almost overwhelmed by Shannon's sheer intensity, and was unable to defend against her multiple attacks. Shannon's feet finally led her to victory, as she swept down her icy foe for a commanding 5-2 first roundvictory.Intermission: Neither dueler desired a respite, so the second match began nearly immediately after the first ended.Match Two: Occurred in Ring "Styx"Special Notes--This was Styx's debut in challenge competition. Shannon brought a steel chair with her as she climbed up the ladder to her end of the ring. The IceDancer met her up top, and the duel began. Shannon and her chair gave up the first point to the Opal, falling to a jab while looking for defense. Down 2-1, Shannon's attempt to use the chair to gain a second point was in vain, and the IceDancer wrested it from her grasp, tossing it to the ground below. Each dueler was forced to maintain a delicate balance between ferocity and stability, and the concentration necessary to remain atop the ring was immense. Though she tied the duel 3-3 in the sixth round, the Opal returned the favor Shannon dealt it earlier and swept her off of the scaffolding into the safety mats below. Winning the match 5-4 in eight rounds, the IceDancer gave itself one more chance to claim victory.Intermission: Again, neither dueler wished time for rest, and began their descent into the final ring.Match Three: Occurred in Ring "Down in a Hole" (a.k.a. The Pit)Special Notes--This was the Pit's first involvement in a challenge match, and as the two combatants clambered down into its confines, a sense of urgency and finality washed over both dueler and audience. For indeed, final this would be. The Opal took the early first round lead, but Shannon fought back and scored with an uppercut, seeming to injure her hand severely in the process. Persisting through the pain, Shannon fought on, succeeding in shattering the Opal's limbs, an arm and eventually both legs. Though it had suffered damage in earlier matches, the IceDancer had always reformed and repaired itself; this time, no repairs were made. Sitting on a 4-2 lead after the sixth round, Shannon seemed poised to win, but the IceDancer attacked low and managed to toss her into the air with the bulk of its body. Fists, not feet, would claim victory this time and Shannon performed the highly risky and powerful "Fist Drop", (one of her signature moves) in the eighth round. Thus, she secured her victory in the match and overall series while the icy behemoth shattered into pieces around her, leaving only the gem behind and intact.Overall Result: Shannon Colton earned the right to wear IceDancer, the blue Opal, defeating her opponent 2 matches to 1 in a best of three series. My thanks goes out to the audience for their attentiveness and to the duelers for fighting an honorable and memorable match. Shannon, may you wear the Opal with honor and dignity, as Nova did before you. With my signature, I declare the proceedings of the challenge complete. Well fought. --Matthew Algiers Simon
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Results of the First IceDancer Challenge

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:03 pm

Date: 3/25/1998 5:24 PM Central Standard Time

Nova Grey Shadow reads over the results with a smug smile. He never would have imagined that the Opal had the power, let alone the sentience, to keep him incapacitated for well over six hours. Nova had no intention of going into the match with both fists blazing. He wanted to fight Shannon even less than he wanted to keep the Opal. The rank was fine, an excellent addition to the Outback... but the stone itself... that's another story.
He writes a quick response:

"Shanni,

Good job, babe. Wear it well.

You know who"

He strolls away from the board. A tremendous weight lifted from his shoulders.

((Special thanks to Glo and Shanni for making the match such an enjoyable experience! And to all you folks that came out to watch it, keep coming back for the fun and games!

~C/N))
DoF Archive
Archivist

Epilogue

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:04 pm

Date: 3/25/1998 6:07 PM Central Standard Time

Resting as it was atop her dressed, the Blue Opal IceDancer seemed to serenely reflect and refract the incoming morning's light, casting a blue haze across the wooden surface. Her eyes remained on it as she lay her aching body back against the soft pillows; they seemed to cradle her with a welcome touch. The Opal, on looking at it, seemed nothing more than a stately gem, devoid of any deeper consideration.She knew better. She'd gone to war against it's very essence the night before.The reminders of that encounter were plentiful; and not just the gem itself, symbol of her victory. It also manifested itself in a broken right hand, a sore back from a fifteen-foot tumble from Styx's heights, a vicious bruise on her cheekbone from multiple blows of an icy hand. No, she'd not soon forget this night - nor did she want to. The pain paled in comparison with what she'd done: she'd proven once again that she still belonged, that shecould still compete at the highest level. You still have it, she thought to herself with a quiet satisfaction. And she fully intended to be as good as her word - she'd give this Opal the respect it deserved. The respect any title deserves, she believed.But the Opal itself...this sentience, and a most definite danger inherent in it's powers. She had to show it to someone..and she knew exactly who. A day or so to rest, and she'd seek her mentor out; only his wisdom would she trust on this.And so she laid back, to savor the fine wine of victory. 'Bout damn time, she thought. 'Bout damn time.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Results of the First IceDancer Challenge

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:05 pm

Date: 3/25/1998 9:21 PM Central Standard Time

::Walks up and reads the results, then he writes::I'm truly sorry that I couldn't come see the duels and I am sure that both of you dueled really well. I am also sure that Matt called the duels well.Shannon, congratulations on your winning of the opal.Nova, although I haven't seen you as much as I have seen Shannon I am sure you dueled well and had a great reign of the opal.Bane
DoF Archive
Archivist

Just a few words

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:05 pm

Date: 3/26/1998 10:25 PM Central Standard Time

Most of you know I'm never shy of saying what's on my mind...so you'll be happy to know I'm going to keep this brief.No one had more doubts than myself as to whether or not I was both ready, and deserving to challenge for the Blue Opal, IceDancer. I finally decided that I'd do what I do best, and let my actions speak for me. I hope they have done so loudly enough.I've spoken long about the committments of a champion. Well, this Opal may not be the Diamond, but you better believe I'll treat it as such. I hate hypocrisy, so now it's my turn to put my money (or my fists) where my mouth is. I'm ready to do so.Only one thing remains, and perhaps the the most important thing. I want to dedicate this win, this Opal, and my reign (however long it maybe) to the two most important people in my life. My daughter, Kaylan - who is my heart, my soul and my sanity. And my teacher and mentor, Tao, who is my rock. Thank you.~ShannonEmerald, and bearer of IceDancer, the Blue Opal
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Just a few words

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:06 pm

Date: 3/27/1998 10:26 AM Central Standard Time

Displayed on the wall over the bar was the series of large oil portraits of each of the DoF's champions, the holders of the coveted Diamond ring.. Their names legendary...Kyttn let her eyes roam over the faces. Ulath ni Fici, Shannon Colton, Jake Thrash, Percival... she smiled at that one and then abandoned her regard of the faces, and moved toward the kiosk -the massive posting board - where the standings,challenges, notes and proclamations are displayed.She tacked up a single message with two notes upon it. The felinoid shook out her tail and coughed. Having been sick and having missed the match she so wanted to see, she regarded the boards again with a lopsided smile before she walked away and out into the spring weather. Nova - You've been my friend a long time - you held the IceDancer with honor - well done. Shanni - All I can say is.. it's good to have you back, girl. Damn good. Can't wait to duel you... ::a scribbled smiley face with whiskers adorns this comment:: Kyt- Emerald