New Holder of Pathfinder

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

New Holder of Pathfinder

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:17 pm

Date: 4/4/1998 3:26 PM Central Standard Time

To everyone in Fists:

I, Falablah Dalegate officially take possesion of the Green Opal Pathfinder. I did not obtain this privaledge by winning a tornament or winning a challenge match. I have taken possesion because of the leave of the former holder Marzan. I know this is not an honorable way to obtain such a position but it is how it turned out. I will listen to all comments and criticizems on the topic if there are any. I will do the Opal justice by being active in
Fists and to be the best role model a person in my posistion should be. Thank you all for your time and I hope you all enjoy the fun filled DQ tonight.

~Falablah Dalegate~

~Holder of the Opal Pathfinder of DoF~

~Mage of DoM~

~Master At Arms of DoS~
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: New Holder of Pathfinder

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:17 pm

Date: 4/4/1998 4:57 PM Central Standard Time

::the first reply up should surprise no one, all things considered::Falablah:First, I hope you'll understand that what I'm about to say isn't in the spirit of insult - since you expressed an interest in hearing people's feedback on these events, I assume you'll listen with an open mind.The first thing I would say right now is "Congratulations", but I simply cannot. Simply because there is nothing to congratulate yet, except perhaps your good fortune that your opponent didn't show up. Was this your fault? Heck no, so let no one (myself included) find fault with you on that note alone.Can you change how you came by the Green Opal? No. Can you do something about it? Yes. What, you ask?It's obvious how one *obtains* an Opal - one challenges for it. But nowhere in the rules do I see anything that says the Opal cannot *extend* a challenge in return. If the powers that be don't object, my recommendation to you would be to seek out a worthy challenger (by whatever 'worthy' means to you - whether it be perceived toughness, their record, whatever), offer them a challenge for this prize you've come by, and in that defense, *prove*you're worthy to hold it. Not just worthy to challenge for it, you proved that already. But that you deserve to have it.And if anyone's wondering, I'll tell you right now. Yes, I would do the same thing. In fact, (and several people already know this), I probably would not have accepted it to begin with. I couldn't do it that way; but that's simply my style. You know you're under no obligation to do anything. I'm sure you'll do Path Finder justice simply in how you duel. BUT...an old quote says that beginnings must be clean for the endeavor to be worthwhile. You can't help what happened - but you can do something about it now.ShannonNo titles needed.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:18 pm

Date: 4/5/1998 7:06 PM Central Standard Time

I would like to point out that the rules do not state that the Opal should go to the challenger if the Opal holder fails to appear.The rules state:"1) Both duelers are expected to arrive on time and prepared to duel. If one of the duelers fails to show within ten minutes after the match was scheduled to begin, the dueler present will be asked if he or she would like to continue to wait. If the dueler agrees to wait, the match will be held up for another ten minutes. If after that time the missing dueler fails to show, the match will be rescheduled. If the sameperson is tardy to the rescheduled match, they will be disqualified and no third rescheduling will be allowed. In other words, if any one dueler is late twice to a challenge match, they will be disqualified and their opponent declared the victor. "Now I will agree that the rules also do not state that the challenger should not receive the Opal.I do not believe it was the intention of myself, or RDI Tex(The man who wrote these final Opal rules), that the challenger get the Opal as a result of a no-show.I think this is something that needs clarification. In my opinion, the Green Opal should have been declared vacant and an Opal tourney held.Of course, to many of you my opinion does not matter. But I give it anyway.RDI Ringoformer DoF Coordinator
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:19 pm

Date: 4/5/1998 7:39 PM Central Standard Time

"In other words, if any one dueler is late twice to a challenge match, they will be disqualified and their opponent declared the victor. "Ringo, I believe Marzan asked fer da duel ta be rescheduled, and da most recent failure ta show constituted his forfeiture. As pointed out, da opponent (Falablah) is declared da victor. Da victor of an Opal challenge match is given da opal ta carry. I believe dis is da reason fer da rulin'.Respectfully,~Jeffrey Oakenshield~Diamond of DoF
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:19 pm

Date: 4/5/1998 11:27 PM Central Standard Time

::reads the boards, sees Jeff made the point before he could. Mumbles:: My point exactly, Jeff. ::scribbles on the board:: Marzan was not only late for the first scheduled challenge match, he never showed. He did *not* ask for a re-schedule. In fact, he never responded at all. Fala re-set a new challenge date and again, Marzan failed to show up. As Jeff pointed out, if someone is late twice, they are declared forfeit and the other individual declared victor. The victor of a challenge match receives the Opal. I can't see any way to make this more clear. RDI Rask DoF Supervisor

RDI RaskDoF Assistant Team Leader
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:20 pm

Date: 4/6/1998 6:19 AM Central Standard Time

" As Jeff pointed out, if someone is late twice, they are declared forfeit and the other individual declared victor. The victor of a challenge match receives the Opal. I can't see any way to make this more clear."You can make it more clear by saying exactly that in the rules.What's done is done. I'm not asking for the ruling to be overturned. I'm just saying that this contingency needs to be spelled out in the rules.This is nothing personal against Falablah. He's a very fine dueler. It's just that he didn't earn the Opal.Marzan failed to show and thus forfeited the Opal. But to just hand it over to someone without a fight is too easy. think we should change the rule so that if this happens again in the future a vacancy is declared and a tourney held.RDI Ringo
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:20 pm

Date: 4/7/1998 1:53 PM Central Standard Time

When I wrote the rule I knew full well that a situation like this might arise. I would normally agree with Ringo that all rank needs to be earned.

However, I was also looking at it from the point of view of getting the Opal who was stalling in the ring. It was my hope that no Opal would go so far as to give up the title by forefit. It would be a sort of a stain on their reputation. Rather then make life hard on themselves they would get into the ring.

Also not to use to classy of an example ;) A pro team fails to show up for the championship they lose the game. It was Opal rules not rocket science ;D If folks think the rules should be changed then they should be. But that was the decesion made by myself and a good percentage of the RDI's.

For the record yes I believe Ringo was against that rule the entire time.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:21 pm

Date: 4/7/1998 10:07 PM Central Standard Time

"For the record yes I believe Ringo was against that rule the entire time."

Yes, I was against the Opal's. But that's completely beside the point.

I just don't think someone should get an Opal without a fight.

Ringo
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:22 pm

Date: 4/7/1998 11:11 PM Central Standard Time

Maybe we're looking at the wrong problem here.If the rule is wrong, change it. But what remains is this - it's done. Marzan is no longer the holder, Falablah is. I don't speak for anyone but myself when I say I don't feel he earned it. That's not personal, that's me the competitor speaking. I have never believed a forfeit victory is an earned win, and I don't believe a forfeited Opal is an earned Opal. You can debate the whys and wherefores till Doomsday, but there it is. It cheapens thevalue of the Opal. It's less valuable, because it wasn't taken in the way it's meant to. Mind you, if that's fine with you all, then that's great - it isn't fine with me.I've made a suggestion (see my earlier note tacked up here) as to a way he could do something about it. Why not make a suggestion of your own? He's stated he's listening - so say something helpful. ShannonIce Dancer& Emerald
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: ...

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:22 pm

Date: 4/8/1998 5:11 PM Central Standard Time

Glad to hear you were considering doing such a thing, Fala - I'm glad to hear that *someone* still sees the value in an "earned" win, as opposed to a gift win. I hope you succeed in your endeavor and win strongly.I guess for me it all comes back to one point. It's not *if* you win..it's how you win. And that's all this was really ever about.Shannon