Message Board contest!!!

Read-only archive of the Duel of Fists
DoF Archive
Archivist

Message Board contest!!!

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:45 pm

Date: 3/24/1998 5:21 PM Central Standard Time

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Hey all you boxers, brawlers, wrestlers and martial artists out there! The DoF announces a brand new contest. Starting April 1st, you will have the chance to win a BONUS MODIFIER to be used for a full two week period! What do you have to do? It's simple. Beginning April 1st and going for five weeks, you may post a story on the DoF Message Board detailing a duel you have fought in. Now this isn't a simple round by round account. Write details *around* the duel; what happened the night before, the struggle of the duel itself and even the aftermath. No "I jabbed, he jabbed" stuff. Write a *story*. Make it creative. Spelling and grammer *will* be taken into account, but creative content will be the primary focus. Also, all of your entries must be posted as a* response* to this message. Any story posted as a separate message will not be counted. Lastly, the story *must* fit into a single post or it will not be counted. Remember, wait until April 1 to start posting! If you all like it, there will be a different story writing contest on June 1st and every two months after that. If you have any questions, just email RDI Rask and he will get back to you promptly. Enjoy!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RDI RaskDoF Assistant Team Leader
DoF Archive
Archivist

Re: Message Board contest!!!

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:45 pm

Date: 4/2/1998 3:29 PM Central Standard Time

Tough Bounty Money Blade caught a glimps of the lovely young caller again, glancing away to the rings beyond her quickly as she turned her gaze over in his direction. Turning his glance back over at her as she looked back to her rings. He took a moment to take her beauty in, long blond hair, bright green eyes, and a slightly atheletic figure. She was truely a prize and, not much of a suprise to Blade, elven. Shaking off the a few thoughts he turned his gaze back over to his target, known as Kayloore One for One. He was a huge huge man, taller even that Blade himself, with a very muscular build and clothes that would be worthy of any pirate. His face was a horrible mess of scars, his eyes where a dull bluish hue, and his light blond hair was cut short. This was truely going to be a tough bounty. Blade thought to himself as heran his options over in his mind. The contract had stressed the fact of a live capture, no dicapitations, he reminded himself. He thought of just challanging the man to a duel, but wondered how he would take to it. The mercenary sighed, that may be my safest option now... he is too guarded at home and it appears he has no more skill with his hands, as he would with fasion. Getting to his feet, Blade mad his way to issue the challange. The huge duelist agreed to the challange and soon, Blade found himself stepping into the ring, sending a wink over to the lovely caller. The bounty was on the line, Loor had agreed to the terms... if he won, Blade would leave town and never return. If Blade won, he would go with him and allow him to collect his bounty. "You may begin, gentles", the caller called out in a rather husky, but very female voice. The elven mercenary got into a low defensive stance, while the huge beast of a man put his fists up ready to literaly knock Blade's head off. Loor lunged forward trying to grab the yopung elf, but Blade's speed got the better of the *beast* and sent him on his back with a quick legsweep. He allowed his opponent to rise, eyeing himthoughtfully. Strong but Stupid... he thought with an amused grin. Suddenly Loor lashed out at a startling speed, sending Blade to the deck holding his jaw. Ten rounds later and many head blows..... Both men had become sluggish, each of them taking their share of the blows. It appeared the giant of a man had the young elf at one point. Almost squashing him under his massive body, but the elf's speed was alarming. Blade sent a swift thrust upward, hitting Loor square in the jaw and sent him stumbling back. Shaking off the effects of the blow he spoke up between bloody lips, "Loor will kill you now, Mercenary". The young elf only smiled in return, sending Loor's temper off the charts. The giant swung a massive fist in anger, but the agile elf ducked and sent a boney elbow into the beast's gut. Blade spun, going low to sweep his legs out,gasping for air the giant didn't have time to react. Stumbling back Loor fell back on the ropes, they almost snapped with the strain of his massive body. The elven mercenary moved forward to the giant swiftly. Having gotten the giant in a very vulnerable position he brought his hand up in one fluid motion, sending his palm up and onto Loor's adam's apple with suprising strength. The giant gasped for breath, getting to his feet and stammeringforward. Blade spun to avoid the man's path, slamming the back of his fist onto the back of the giant's head. Loor fell, hard, to the mat. His body was limp but Blade could tell he was still breathing. After putting his magic bonds onto the giant and putting him out of harms way the young elf went over to the caller. Taking a seat on the couch beside her he smiled slightly as she looked to him from her rings. Her expression was all but happy, if anything she was near tears. Blade frowned and spoke up, "What's wrong, m'lady?" She seemed to eye him for a moment, on the brink of an emotional out-pour. She replied after a long moment, "he is my lover". The elven mercenary blinked and jerked a thumb over in Loor's direction, "Him?". She only nodded in return, too took up in the moment to say anything. After a moment Blade stood and walked back over to his prize. Getting a good hold of the heavy man, he drug him out of the arena to his horse and rigged up a cart to pull the man in. With a heavy sigh he muttered, "Can't win'em all I suppose". Chuckling he set off to collect hisbounty.__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________The Mercenary Known asMoney Blade
DoF Archive
Archivist

Some bruises run deeper...(Faile)

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:46 pm

Date: 4/16/1998 12:25 PM Central Standard Time

Blink; shouldn't hurt to do that, yet it did. Gods above, everything that was real on her ached and sent complaints of abuse to her mind. So maybe trading mental pains for physical was not her brightest ideas, it was too late to take it back now.

She tried to sit up again; could that whimpering she was hearing possibly be coming from her? She abandoned even the thought of being upright for the moment and fell back onto the couch with a sigh. Her present condition leaving her nothing to do but think, just what she had tried to avoid.

Faile had begun yesterday not unlike so many other typical days in her life. She woke up, checked her schedule, uploaded the data for her mission and grabbed a hot cup of java from a quaint bakery on the east side of town.

She had been amazed at how quickly things had gone downhill from there. There was something about the mans' countenance that alerted her natural instincts about danger, yet she had ignored the warning signs.

By force of will alone she pushed herself off the couch, dressing in loose fitting clothing she left her place in search of something to rid her thoughts of her mistakes of the previous day.

Her state when she entered the outback was jaunted and ill at ease with her skills. She was confident in her combat abilities elsewhere and yet here, in this place, she continually failed at meeting her objectives.

She took up the first challenge she heard when she entered; the man was a jade, not the toughest rank she had faced in these rings. Faile was a glass, shattered at this point were she to be honest with herself.

The match was fast and furious, quickly culminating to a four to four score. Faile could sense a bruise developing on her jaw where she had been jabbed several times and allowed herself a slight grin as she noted the hint of a darkening shade just below her opponents left eye.

The match could go either way, could have gone if not for this confounded curse that stunted all her instincts when she stepped in these rings. She thought he was going for another quick jab and reached out only to be out manuevared as he performed a delectable dance to avoid her grappling.

Some bruises just hurt less than others and for every aching muscle and developing mark upon her features she felt the stinging pain of her bruised pride more poignantly than any jab or kick.

A quick bow and thanks, all but hollow gestures as she exited the ring and the outback; so much for trying to salvage some ego with a bit of sport.
DoF Archive
Archivist

Emotional Wars

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:47 pm

Date: 4/26/1998 2:42 AM Central Standard Time

Waking up early on Saturday morning, Bane felt something inside him telling him that he was destined to have a bad day. The day seemed not to go that bad, until he ran into a couple of thugs who were trying to take his money while he was walking down the street. Knowing he didn't have any money, he had to think fast. After looking them over, seeing that they were only armed with knives, Bane didn't think they looked like much of athreat, so he played along and said "Well, I guess I'll have to give you my money then, huh?" One thug laughed and said in one of the most smart alecky, sarcastic tones Bane had ever heard "Yeah, I guess you better hand it over." The tone set Bane off and he took quick action, taking the sarcastic one to the ground with a quick sweep. He sent the other sprawling with a quick, but hard kick to the face. Turning his attention back on the first,Bane looked down upon the man on the ground saying, "Well, on second thought, I guess I better keep my money, I might need it." Walking away, he didn't know if he'd done the right thing or not. He walked home and took a quick nap, trying to get all the irksome thoughts that had been bothering him out of his head.Later that night Bane walked into the Outback, looking for a certain person. He saw that she wasn't there the moment he walked into the door, but he stayed anyway. Duels were taking place, as they always do during those hours. Bane walked straight to his usual seat, somewhat down because the person he came to see wasn't there. Some people were looking for a duel, and Janella, who was keeping the que that night, invited him to duel with Nova GreyShadow, a well known, and very experienced Emerald. Bane, not really planning on dueling that night and mind being elswhere, accepted the duel anyway. He wrote a short note to Janella to make it official and handed it to her.After sitting in his seat a few minutes and waiting to be called, Nova and he were called to the ring. Bane entered the ring, seeming to be himself, although he didn't plan on winning a duel against such an experienced dueler. They both started off at each other, pouncing on each other like tigers on the hunt, Nova jabbing and Bane chopping. Bane, who couldn't keep a continuous streak going in the rings (unless it was a losing streak) seemed tocome back at Nova in top shape, jabbing quickly at him before getting kicked hard in the stomach by Nova's sneaker. Sensing he might have a chance after all, Bane started off in a low spin to try to take Nova off of his feet. Nova must have been thinking about the same thing Bane had been and mirrored the sweep. Bane fell hard and jarred his head. He lied there a moment, trying to gather himself. His mind started wandering back to the woman hehad came to see and had been seeing occasionally for that last week or two. He was really confused about his relationship with her, not knowing if she just needed someone to lean on, or if she was seriously wanting a relationship with him. He remembered he was dueling after a minute and got up and tried to continue. Not thinking about the duel, it seemed to go downhill from there. Bane couldn't seem to shake the thoughts of her from his head. Hehad to continue dueling though as he spinned and brought his leg around high, hoping Nova would go defensive. Spinning around to kick at him, Bane got a hard chop at the back of the neck that stopped the spin altogether. Somehow staying on his feet though, Bane turned back toward Nova and quickly (or it seemed quick to him) stepped over to the side a little, trying to avoid the punishment that Nova was giving, only to trip on the leg of thesweeping Nova. Jarring his head once again, Bane started wondering if he could even finish the duel. He found the energy to get up though and continue. Nova didn't plan on giving him much time to retaliate and caught Bane in the chin with a quick uppercut that sent the reaching arms, and the rest of the 6'1 frame to the ground to think about what had happened. Lying there a for couple of moments, Bane realized that if he didn't salute then hewould seem dishonorable. He found the energy once more to rise and salute both the caller and his opponent. After this duel, he barely had the energy to walk, but eventually made it to his seat, the rightful place for his mind to wander and his body to recover from the punishment brought forward by the duel.((If anyone is wondering, the duel was very quick and ended, *Nova Grey Shadow defeating Bane 5-3 in 6 rounds*))
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:48 pm

Date: 5/10/1998 7:27 PM Central Standard Time

Seeing the light of Rhydin fade over the horizon, I said goodbye to my other insect friends and hopped off the oak leaf. After landing upon the ground, this praying mantis slowly shifted into a greypanther and began to race across the forest in pursuit of the Outback. The excitement of another duel caused me to pay little attention to my direction. Forgetting the well trodden path north leads to man placed traps, I soon found myselfcaught in a metal clasp. After a moment of hesitation, I shifted into a large Griffon and cracked the trap with strength of my rear claws. The procession of the moon across the sky reminded me of my haste. I flew into the air gracefully traveling the wind currents through clouds and down upon the Outback. To remain unnoticed, I relinquished my hybrid form, and landed in human form.I yelled out for an opponent and I quickly heard a response from a familiar voice. The words of "Hail Clone, I'll duel you!!!" coming from Harl Frick's direction. We greeted each other then continued to a ring in regular Rhydin fashion.After nodding, I cleared my mind of all emotions and began to fight the object before my eyes.Not remembering Harl's style, I ducked hoping to avoid being hit or flipped. As I dropped down, I noticed Harl slide to my left. Having seen this I remember our last fight, in which Harl counter attacked my every basic move. Using the Polar Bear portion on my DNA, I attacked Harl's counter attacking Snap Kick with swift bear claw across his neck.My harsh fierceness quickly turned to jest as jump kicked just for fun, but I found my move to be far more effective as he leaped right into my foot.The RDI yelled "2-0 Clone"... Seeing Harl's fierce grin followed by slight puzzlement, I figured he would once again try to counter my move. But seeing that I really didn't want to duck or drop and kick any more... I reached out and slapped him with a seal fin for a blood splattering assault. The anger on Harl's face let me know he would stand for no more punishment.... I knew how Harl's punches felt, and I didn't want to feel them again... After a little hesitation, Ishifted into a Cobra and dodged to the left, finding it a good choice as I watched his Jab swing at open air. Considering the move to have just been my style, I was well surprised when I heard "Clone Fancy Dodged Harl's Jab for a full point!!!"4-0 CloneLife was just too ugly for me at the time, I didn't care to be fierce or deadly anymore... just have fun. And for Harl's sake... I began hoping he would score a point so he would no longer look so sad....I mean sheesh!..it's just a fight right....?Hey... maybe not, because although I wanted Harl to score...I really didn't want him to come back...this was my first chance at a shutout...and I wanted it pretty bad...So I did what every friend would do when fighting someone they know....I jump kicked again hoping that he would dodge, duck, or flip...but Harl's bad day came to its climax as my foot soared across his face before he could execute his chop.....5-0 Clone....................................................................................... I glanced at Harl and told him "Well fought" even though we both new otherwise.....As we both bowed to the RDI and exited the ring...I glanced back watching Harl slowly leave the arena...I always knew i would get a shutout one day, but I was not hoping to get it against Harl..Now if only I could find another fight after everyone watched me stump Harl...

Kahlil Cntrayst"Clone 17"
DoF Archive
Archivist

Post by DoF Archive » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:49 pm

Date: 5/11/1998 1:23 PM Central Standard Time

The contest is now *closed*. The winner will be announced in a post on Monday, May 18th. =)

RDI RaskDoF Supervisor