Challenge for the 5th Barony

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Challenge for the 5th Barony

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:58 am

Date: 8/28/97 1:52 PM Pacific Standard Time

I, Warlord G'nort Espelande G'neesmacher Dragoon Talanador, do hereby challenge Skyler Jackson Chamberland for the right of the 5th Barony of the Duel of Swords. The missive has been sent to the standings keeper and the Baron which included the peer wins.

I have spoken with Skyler and he was made aware of the reasons for this, one of which was asking the Overlord what his alignment should be. A prospecting Baron should be prepared in advance to declare loyalty. Also, having declared himself Renegade to my friend and tutor, Dalamar, the Overlord, is another. Added to my list of reasons, is the fact that I wish to serve under the Overlord as a Loyal Baron.

I already have my choices in mind for a Second and Lady of Honor, the Official as well, which will be announced upon confirmation of the offered Peer Wins and by the Baron himself.

*G*
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:00 am

Date: 8/28/97 2:07 PM Pacific Standard Time

Shall we even continue to refer to this revolving door as a ring any longer?

~Draven
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:01 am

Date: 8/28/97 2:23 PM Pacific Standard Time

::reads the challenge with a silent nod::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:01 am

Date: 8/28/97 2:56 PM Pacific Standard Time

::walks in and reads the challenge and the couple replies, continues over to the bar and pours himself an ale::

::he takes a sip thinking to himself a moment and then breaks into a little song since he's all alone::

o/~ You got a ring........ I got a goal..... hun.... o/~
o/~ You got a ring........ I got a goal..... babe... o/~
o/~ You got a ring.. o/~
o/~ I got a goal.. o/~
o/~ Gonna meet, that for sho.... oh... babe... yea... o/~

::chuckles to himself and sips the ale before continuing::

o/~ You got a ring.... I got a sword.... hun... o/~
o/~ You got a ring.... I got a sword.... babe... o/~
o/~ You got a ring.. o/~
o/~ I got a sword.. o/~
o/~ We're gonna meet, mark my word... oh... babe... yea... o/~

::continues to smile and keep singing, slapping his leg now::

o/~ You got a ring.... I got the wins.... hun.... o/~
o/~ You got a ring.... I got the wins.... babe... o/~
o/~ You got a ring.. o/~
o/~ I got the wins.. o/~
o/~ All these challenges are a real big sin... oh... babe... yea... o/~

::chuckles once more as he finishes the ale, sliding the empty down the bar, he stands and walks to the stairs::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:02 am

Date: 8/28/97 3:20 PM Pacific Standard Time

::sees the, hopefully, final parts of the "Challenge Outbreak" as he refers to it::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/28/97 3:41 PM Pacific Standard Time

::Reads the postings, responses, scribbles a note::

To all who care-

I agree with the view that the Rings have become sort of a revolving door, as the most common phrase used. However, I've seen some of y'all's brains in action, and think that most of you have a bit of discernment, and can tell valid Challenge reasons from silly, title-seeking, etc... Or at least everyone has some modicum of intelligence to figure their own opinion on it. Anyways, I was just curious how much of a delay everyone needs to have between Challenges, before they can stop complaining about
the door spinning round and round. Should the new Baron have the ring for a month? Two months? Maybe three? Maybe there should be a new rule that a Baron gets to keep their ring for six months, challenge free, no matter how much of a jerk they are, or how much they have a negative effect on the Duel. I dunno how, exactly, so don't ask.
Anyways, in some of the other posts I've read, seems everyone has their own opinion as to what a 'valid' reason for a challenge is. I thought G stated his reasons well, and I support his challenge. Just my opinion, after all, and you can have yours, too, of course.

Buffy.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/28/97 4:27 PM Pacific Standard Time

I believe that, should a challenge bracket be instilled in our minds, things will come to better themselves.

~Draven

::dearly hoping to install a challenge bracket rule::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:03 am

Date: 8/28/97 4:35 PM Pacific Standard Time

::wanders up and smiles::

"GO GNORT!!!"

::smiles and adds::

"Let em have it Buffy!!!" ::grins and walks off::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:03 am

Date: 8/28/97 4:59 PM Pacific Standard Time

If they challenge, they challenge. Every Warlord has the right if he has the PW's. I never read any clause saying that there must be a valid or moral reason, only the wins. It may not suit well with others, or go smoothly with the Baron's and the Overlord, but it be in the rules, and the rules make the sport, as well as the duelers.

~Phil
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:04 am

Date: 8/28/97 5:50 PM Pacific Standard Time

::curses his lost post with only the word 'Phil' written on it:: ((Damn tab button))

Phil;

As you should be aware, rules may be changed to better a situation.

~Draven
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:04 am

Date: 8/28/97 6:28 PM Pacific Standard Time

::smiles::

Ahh Draven... rules do change, but people change too. So do values and motives, and anything else you can think of. That is what keeps us on our toes, and makes it all fun. It's all a game. I'm just here to have fun...:D

~Phil
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:05 am

Date: 8/28/97 6:32 PM Pacific Standard Time

Buffy,

Your a cute spunky little girl, sorry we keep clashing on the boards. How long should a baron have a ring before he is challenged is not the proper question. How many challenges should an individual make to be a baron?

Gnort won his first challenge as a baron when he took the 4th ring, but was unable to defend it the first time out.

Gnort was also the fourth challenger on the night that Billy Ray Karnafexx took on four challenges in the same eve. Gnort took another shot that night and failed.

So, my question is really very simple, the rules allow a challenge after you win just ten matches, but alas, are you good enough to be a Baron? Well, that is what history is for. And history is formed in more than a few short months.

Warlord Arlingond
Grand Knight, Questrion
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:05 am

Date: 8/28/97 7:51 PM Pacific Standard Time

::Peruses the posts again, tacks another wrapper to the board with a grin::

Arlingond-

That's a valid question. I don't know what you would call a clash, but this sure ain't one. I still don't see any way of restricting the number of challenges an individual WL can make to become a Baron, though, without extracting some of the fun of the Duel. A WL who has burned all their challenges for a ring, or has had bad luck (or bad skill, whatever) in defending the ring, keeping the ring, or what have you, is going to quickly become disheartened, maybe bored, with the duels, 'cause there'd be
no where tangible to progress. That is, for those who are concerned with rank. 'Course, I won't get bored, or disheartened, or ever retire, 'cause I'll probably never want to get one of those rings. It'd clash with the outfit.

Buffster.

::Bounces away, blowing baronial bubbles::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:06 am

Date: 8/28/97 8:57 PM Pacific Standard Time

Duelers,

The 5th ring is not even a week old on my finger and I'm being challenged--and I couldn't possibly care any less. If you're a Warlord, and have 10 PW's, then by all means, challenge me. I think that's what the rules say. If I can't defend, then I am not the better dueler and have no business wearing the ring.

About keeping the Barony sacred,
Maybe the Barony should be a place to where the best duelers rise to the top. If the nine best duelers hold the nine rings, then they should be able to keep their position by relying on their skill. Then maybe when the Barons defend a couple times, the Warlords will realize that the Baron is actually better, thus frightening off any attempts. And if that doesn't work, just up the number of PW's needed. Maybe 25-30 PW's to challenge, etc.

What about luck? Can't the challenger get lucky?
Yes, that's how I beat Jeff. I analyzed his dueling style, scouted him, dueled him a couple times just to figure him out, then got lucky on challenge night. When I decided to challenge, I knew he was the better dueler, so I had the common sense to find out as much I could about my opponent, so my chances of winning would be greater. If I hadn't done that, then Jeff would have thrashed me, simply because he is a better dueler than I.

One more thing,
For a reason of challenging, what's wrong with, "I want a higher rank." <------What's wrong with that? Isn't it every young dueler's ambition to be the Overlord, the Supreme Dueler of DoS? It was mine, and it still is. If they earn all the technical stuff, earn the proper rank and acquire the proper peer wins, shouldn't they be able to challenge the OL or Baron without having a moral reason or getting insulted because of improper politics? What if the person doesn't care about politics? What if
he's just some punk kid who happens to be good with his blade, but doesn't like politics because he isn't the most intelligent and manipulative guy in the world?

G'neesmacher Dragoon Talanador, I happily accept your challenge and will be looking forward to a good duel. If you should win, then I'll happily give you the 5th ring and wish you good luck with your Barony. If you should lose, then let any who challenge step forward.

~Skyler Jackson Chamberland
~Holder of the 5th Baron's Ring, DoS.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:06 am

Date: 8/28/97 9:00 PM Pacific Standard Time
MsgId:

Forgot one thing......

I will reply with the time and date shortly after Labor Day.

~Sky