Challenge for the 5th Barony

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:14 am

Date: 8/30/97 2:00 PM Pacific Standard Time

"Should you get lucky enough to fall within your 40% winning percentage and win this ring, know that I will be challenging you. Oh, and don't count on your loyalty to Dalamar protecting you in this one, for I think he will let me proceed and kick your arse."

Threats? I believe that sums up my retort to you, son of Valmion. And, should you seek to insult me outside the Arena again... at least come up with something a bit more creative. What you said to me this afternoon was truly lacking.

Nova Grey Shadow
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/30/97 2:43 PM Pacific Standard Time

Arlingond-

You want a clash? You've got one. Civil, you are not. Respectful, you are not. Intelligent, it seems, you are not. You insult, you disrespect, you count statistics as a way to 'prove' to the general community that G is not worthy, in your insignificant eyes, to challenge as a Baron. You question his skills, as is your right, but then bash him with the statement 'don't count on your loyalty to Dalamar to protect you'. Let's see, in reading G's posts, I don't seem to see where he even intimated that
he would hide behind Dal, as you seem to think. What is it that they say? A thief is more likely to distrust others, because he himself is not trusted? I am sooo very impressed with the fact that you preferred to splatter this all across the public boards instead of taking it up with G in private. And you think he is a fine man? I'd hate to see how you treat your enemies, in private and on the boards.
I thoroughly agree with Nova -- Grow the heck up, and show a little respect. My first response to you WAS respectful, and I actually felt a little respect and pleasant accord creeping between us, even after your blatant insults of me in previous posts. Thanks for revealing your true nature. How can anyone be so blind as to claim they were not being disrespectful and insulting in such posts as yours? I'm sure I don't know. Maybe you can explain it to me.
And as a final word, yes, I'm responding in kind. I never said I was mature. And I hope G wins. If you challenge him, and win, I'll come after you, and you can bet your little mind on that.

Buffy Winters.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/30/97 2:56 PM Pacific Standard Time

::chuckles::

Damn, you question someones skill in a sport and everyone takes a personal affront to it anymore. Buffy, if you come after me, fine, not worried. Tis my nature in this sport. Should this be a personal affront to you? I would hope not, it's just my confidence in what I do here in the duels. I think in my last post I said that considered Gnort a fine individual, it is nothing *personal* that I question, it is all in the nature of the sport.

Let me give an opinion here. I think you should be ranked in the top few Warlords if and when you decide to make a challenge. That would give more credence to it in the nature of the sport that it is. Gaining ten peer wins in about twenty-two matches proves nothing.

Would Gnort make a good baron, who knows, at a 40% winning percentage he won't be around long enough for us to know. Which keeps this revolving door of challenges never ending. WIth as many Warlords that stalk the rings today, we must look to some new standards to determine who should be qualified to challenge, that is all I am addressing here.

I seek not to attack anyone personally, I have not characterized Gnort outside the guidelines of the sport. That is direct contrast to those of you who challenge me here. The things that you accuse me off are blatant throughout your responses.

As to posting here in public, that is where the challenge is made, public. If I had a personal problem with this Warlord, I would address it private. This is *not* a personal issue, this is within the realm of the duels.

Sincerely,

Arlingond

P.S. Buffy, I still think your a spunky little lass and if we should ever duel I will indeed enjoy the experiance ;)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:23 am

Date: 8/30/97 4:00 PM Pacific Standard Time

First off, good luck, Gnort.

Second, to Arlingond:

>>Let me give an opinion here. I think you should be ranked in the top few Warlords if and when you decide to make a challenge. That would give more credence to it in the nature of the sport that it is. Gaining ten peer wins in about twenty-two matches proves nothing.<<

I have to disagree here. If you duel your heart out to just barely get ten peer wins, even though you have a poor Warlord ranking, I think that person has every right to challenge. Simply because you're high up in the rankings when you challenge doesn't mean you'll win. I'm living testament to that.

>>Would Gnort make a good baron, who knows, at a 40% winning percentage he won't be around long enough for us to know. Which keeps this revolving door of challenges never ending. WIth as many Warlords that stalk the rings today, we must look to some new standards to determine who should be qualified to challenge, that is all I am addressing here.<<

You can't measure up the amount of heart and determination some duelists have by mere numbers. Nor can you say that a Warlord deserves to be a Baron or not based solely on how well they duel their peers. I do agree that new standards for challenging should be placed, however.

Just the thoughts of a simple Warlord.

~Rix
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:23 am

Date: 8/30/97 4:16 PM Pacific Standard Time

At the risk of placing myself up as a target, I will state my accord with Arlingond on this matter. If one can not even win the greater percentage of their duels, on what grounds do they consider themselves worthy of one of the nine rings? I see none in feasibility. It seems to me that those who dismiss statistics as irrelevent are usually portrayed as poor duelists by those same statistics. I mean not to offend anyone who is not, say, among the top ten ranked Warlords, but it is time some of you
realized that the Warlord ranks - being based on percentage - do in fact fairly portray how a duelist ranks among their peers. If you can not even hold your own in this area, do not expect to recieve my respect should you somehow manage to wedge through the odds and grasp a title.

~^v^~
Draven Altruis Il
Knight Marshal, Questrion
Warlord, DoS
~^v^~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:24 am

Date: 8/30/97 4:24 PM Pacific Standard Time

I am only going to make one comment.

By Arlingond's standards, I myself have had no business being in possession of a Baron's ring.

Judge his words as you will, from that evidence.

~irm
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/30/97 4:42 PM Pacific Standard Time

Okay.

My opinion.

Should there be new standards for allowing challenges?
Yes, there should. Nuff said on that subject.

Will I make a good Baron?
Time will tell wont it?
Why you've suddenly decided to come after me is what puzzles me. I know why the other one, who is intent to challenge me, is after me. I barely spoke to you in the past, I've never said anything about you, to you or behind your back to cause you to come after me. Put simply, I ponder your motives. But then, that's what I do, you, of course know your motives. As for counting on Dalamar to protect me? Well, I'm not one who needs protection from you.::shrugs::
And as for kicking my arse, again, time will tell, won't it?

We'll see what turns up, should I win the ring. I imagine I'll be spoken in a bad way should I fail, hmm? "He wasn't good enough", "He couldn't back up his words with hsi sword". Well, again, we'll see.

I challenged
Skyler accepted.
Nuff said.

*G*
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/30/97 4:54 PM Pacific Standard Time

Okay,
It's not personal, I accept that. It's about skill, okay, I accept that. So my pondering about why you've come after me is now done.
::looks at the standings and rankings::
oh my, look at all these others who's rankings are similar to mine..Hey, some of them are challenging too. Interesting. Some even have less WoL than me that are barons..Interesting. I wonder if rank and records do make you a baron..or the best dueler. Intruiging.
::strolls off::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:25 am

Date: 8/30/97 5:24 PM Pacific Standard Time

::reads. re-reads:: Go Gnort!
::sneaks out to draw a bullseye on Dravens back::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/30/97 7:34 PM Pacific Standard Time

Y'all probably remember Ford Prefect don't you? He's back even I believe...

Anyways...even though he left before the WL ranks were instated, and was a Baron during most of his hi-ranked career, I think it would be reasonable to believe that due to his losing streaks that put him below 1 WoL would make his winning percentage against WLs and above less than 50%. And yet, he won 6 challenges(5 defenses) before retiring. We all think of him as one of the top Barons ever, yet he would have had a poor ranking had he been a Warlord under today's system.

There are probably even more examples of this, though most not as noted as that example. This should show that a dueler's regular dueling has *no* bearing on their skill in challenge matches. And vice-versa.

-Walker Boh
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/30/97 8:25 PM Pacific Standard Time

Thank you Walker for stating that for me. It hadn't occured to me to use Ford as an example, and since you have, I am glad someone else sees that rank and records mean only a small part of a barons worth. I thank you sincerly for pointing that true fact out. Now lets hope some others will see that as well.

*G*
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:26 am

Date: 8/31/97 1:59 AM Pacific Standard Time

>>::sneaks out to draw a bullseye on Dravens back::<<

::watches Seamus with a glint in her eye::

I may be a crappy duelist... but I'm covering his back... ::kinda smirks::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:26 am

Date: 8/31/97 8:16 AM Pacific Standard Time

::walks up to the posts.. reading this discussion angrily and then posting his own response::

Friends,
It disheartens me to see that, despite the fact that DoS is a sport, some of my fellow duelists would use winning percentage as a means to decide whether someone is worthy of being a Baron. Good Barons are made by people with good intentions, good hearts, and who want to make a change for the better.. Gnort possesses all of these qualities. I *myself* have never dueled consistantly over 50% against my peers.. and usually I duel well under that. So if you truly feel that someone who wouldn't be in
the Top 10 Ranked Warlord isn't worthy to hold a title.. then I strongly suggest that you threaten me as well as Gnort... or you see how his sword proves or disproves his worth when the challenge comes and judge his skill in the ring by that.

sincerely,
Lord Dalamar Ar'Daumon

28th Overlord of the Duel of Swords
Lord of the Dale
Guardian of the Oldest House
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:27 am

Date: 8/31/97 9:17 AM Pacific Standard Time

::smiles:: You tell 'em Dal!

::sticks his tongue out at Arlingond::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:27 am

Date: 8/31/97 9:17 AM Pacific Standard Time

If DoS was truely a numbers game and a percentages game and such with odds,

I'd have been one of the longest running Overlords, if I had ever won any of 4 Overlord Challenges, just by numbers, time, and chances.

Case in Point.

~E-core