Challenge for the 5th Barony

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:27 am

Date: 8/31/97 11:12 AM Pacific Standard Time

Elijah,

I fear that I fail to see your point here. I will grant you that by odds alone, you would probably have a less dismal challenge record, but I hardly see how it turns to say that you would have been a long standing Overlord. In all likely hood, if we were to judge by your percentage rating vs. peers, your reign.. like your baron reigns.. would have been rather short and ended by your first defense.

There is hardley a "case in point" to be found in your example...

~Kal...
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:28 am

Date: 8/31/97 12:12 PM Pacific Standard Time

::scrawls, short note, large letters::

Fight in ring!

Goon
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/31/97 1:22 PM Pacific Standard Time

What point is this all making? As far as I see, it's a pointless discussion.

As Gnort has said, "I challenged, Skyler accepted". End of discussion. No matter what anyone says, it's not going to keep the challenge from going through. Just watch the match, and see for yourself who is worthy of the ring.

~Sidartha est Lathadoscia
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 8/31/97 7:46 PM Pacific Standard Time

::Almost having gone home for the night, taking the time for a little reading first.::

Well, I may not have the best WoL record for a WarLady, but at least half of my losses came from two duelers... I've learned my lesson and don't duel those two any more, but does that make me a better dueler by default? What happens when I figure out which WarLords I can beat on a fairly consistant basis and only duel them? My, wouldn't -that- shoot my percentage through the roof.
At least I am willing to duel most anyone who wishes, save for a very few that I am reasonably sure will consistantly beat me. In this sport, to do any less is just sheer madness.
When you duel as often as Gnortie does, you -are- going to lose a few duels. If he was worried about his peer percentages, he wouldn't duel nearly as often, now would he? He's probably got enough peer duels to stay in the top bracket for the rest of the cycle even if he stops dueling all together. Can you say the same Arlingond? What about you Draven?
Collie, you're a good friend, but your man can be just a bit bull-headed and rude at times.

The Grand Duchess Drakewyn Alabaster the Tenth.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:29 am

Date: 8/31/97 10:44 PM Pacific Standard Time

Actually, Drake, I can say that. I've currently eighteen peer wins and twelve losses. I didn't wish to announce this and infer a boast, but ask and you shall recieve (an answer, in this case).

~Draven
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:29 am

Date: 8/31/97 10:49 PM Pacific Standard Time

>> Collie, you're a good friend, but your man can be just a bit bull-headed and rude at times.<<

Drake,

Lass, yer a dear one, but lets not start on bashing bullheaded men.. otherwise Draven isn't the only one being named... in that catagory. Enough said?

Catherine Colleen Kerrigan Struan MacLeod
Duchess of Navarra
Commoner of DoS
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:30 am

Date: 9/1/97 12:37 AM Pacific Standard Time

So many sides, so many opinions, so many personallities clashing together like metal during the first battle of a war.

All of the opinions are equilly valid. I admit that I have seen my own personal veiw shift with every differant opinion or view. What makes a Challenge valid? To every person it is differant. At this point in time I feel that for myself to make a Challenge I would have to wait until I found a reason to de-throne one of the Barons (Note: the type of reason is not included becuase I don't know), I would have to have ten more Peer Wins than required and at least ten win over losses against my Peers. This is
now, I might change later for a reason I might not be able to explain... and someone might hold that against me.

This is my view. I personally think that skill, politics and one's personallity all sew together the same cape. I believe that they are all valid reasons for someone to Challenge, but an even more valid reason was to hold them in more than one of the catagories.

I do not think that any other person is "wrong" in their thoughts... though in my own personal opinion I could sielently shun something or other. There are people I like more than others, people I find more suitable than others for Title position... but is this not normal? Everybody has something differant to say.

No matter who is sitting on the Throne wearing the Overlord's Crown, someone will call "foul" at a chioce he made (Ex. Choosing to use the "Test of Worthyness").

The Argument over "Fancies" will always go on. ((Although in RP'ing relations... why are your charaters debating over useing a game modifier?))

And the heated battles of wether or not DoS is a Community, A Sport, or Part of Both.

Unless the same opinion is shared by everyone in the DoS, someone will not like it. And one of those people will voice it. Personally, I like debates on the board even if I do not participate in them. To me, they are fun.

I havn't been here for awhile, so please excuse me if you think this is to lenghthly but if you like long writings... ENJOY!

~^~Damien Cetran~^~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 9/1/97 4:30 AM Pacific Standard Time

::Chuckles softly and pens another reply.::

Collie:
Gods and deamons, I know my husband is bullheaded, I'm rather bullheaded myself. But, unless someone is rude to him -first- he is never rude. I really hope this doesn't ruin our own friendship. I am -not- saying Draven is a bad person, I'm just saying that he could chose his words a little better. Unless, of course, his goal -is- to have people dislike him.

Draven:
In an earlier reply, Gnortie said that he had gathered twentyseven peer wins before he made is challenge. This is -not- getting ten peer wins in twentytwo duels. He is -not- challenging just because he can, he is challenging because of a long series of reasons, some of which he has already explained, some of which he has not.
As I said in an earlier post, what if I were to find a few WarLords that I could consistantly beat and only dueled them? I'm already avoiding duels against those who consistantly beat me, isn't that just a logical thing to do? I am not saying you do this, I am not saying -anyone- does this... I am merely saying that it is a possibility.
For a short time, there was the hint that some duelists were arranging matches in order to gain rank quickly. Now let's assume that I gained the assistance of some of the WarLords that have -much- higher overall WoL than I do. With a circle of five or six duelists, I could -very- quickly become one of the best percentage peer duelists around.
Again, I'm not saying that anyone does this, or that I would ever seriously consider doing this, but it remains a fact that ones record is -not- always a true indication of ones skill, honor, merit or anything else but their record in dueling.
Oh, and if you intend to be consistant, I expect you to not support Arlingond's challenge to Gnort if Gnortie gets the ring. Arlingond may currently have a peer percentage of seventyfive percent, but he's only dueled four peer duels this cycle... hardly making him eligible, according to your system.
Lastly, where -would- you put a cut-off on those able to challenge? Isn't being the seventeenth best WarLord out of seventyseven a rather strong indication that he -is- a good duelist? Even if you take all the duelists with better peer win records from the bottom two brackets, he is still thirtyfourth, well above half of the WarLords. And in my opinion, those people lack Gnortie's dedication to the sport.

Drake.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 9/1/97 8:51 AM Pacific Standard Time

::runs up to the boards to add his two-cents::

Awwww......Damien.......::crumbles up the paper that cost him two cents:: You said what I was gonna...........say........and you too Dalamar.............and you ::pointing::......~~~~~~and you.....and you and you....

::walks away:: Cause I can't think of nothing else to add
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:31 am

Date: 9/1/97 8:53 AM Pacific Standard Time

Oh yea.......::runs back over to the board and pulls a diff. piece of paper and tacks it to the board:: It reads:: Good Luck to ye Both

::runs away before someone accuses him of loittering::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 9/1/97 11:26 AM Pacific Standard Time

>> Collie:
Gods and deamons, I know my husband is bullheaded, I'm rather bullheaded myself. But, unless someone is rude to him -first- he is never rude. I really hope this doesn't ruin our own friendship. I am -not- saying Draven is a bad person, I'm just saying that he could chose his words a little better. Unless, of course, his goal -is- to have people dislike him.<<

No.. it won't.. ::Smiles::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 9/1/97 1:56 PM Pacific Standard Time

In my opinion, Gnort has a perfectly valid reason to challenge Skyler. I dislike challenges based on "testing myself" (bah), "just 'cause" (grr), "I want to be higher ranked."

Gnort, I wish you luck in your challenge.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:32 am

Date: 9/1/97 11:50 PM Pacific Standard Time

Drake;

Once again you've written a lengthy post that leads to, at best, a vague intent. You attempted to turn this discussion against me with an ill thought attack, and subsequently stuck your foot in your mouth. Do not assume that I target duelists whom I believe I can best with relative ease. The warlords I duel are those whom strike me as an interesting opponent, though if there fails to be a surplus of that quality around, I'll duel whomever is free at the moment. The simple fact is that I do have
enough peer duels to remain in the top five ranked Warlords for the rest of this cycle, so please refrain from your hazy rebuttals that fail even to concern me.

~Draven
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:32 am

Date: 9/2/97 12:39 AM Pacific Standard Time

>>In my opinion, Gnort has a perfectly valid reason to challenge Skyler. I dislike challenges based on "testing myself" (bah), "just 'cause" (grr), "I want to be higher ranked." <<

And what then is G'nort's motivation for challenging?

~Draven
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:33 am

: 9/2/97 12:42 AM Pacific Standard Time

::sees Dravens posts, assumes he didn't read the origional(sp) challenge post::