Archivist

Challenge to the Tenth

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:29 pm

Date: 07 Sep 2002 00:10:22 EDT

As sent to the Baron and Standings Keeper:
Var Medici-Giovanni
~~~~~~~~

Baron Arithon Fallessen,
Over four years ago, I had inadvertently started a personal trend. During the Warlord Tourney back in '98, I lost to Duke Leto of Covington. He eventually continued fighting in that tourney and placed, thus earning the Tenth Ring. Among other reasons, I challenged him for the ring because he beat me; and there is no challenge greater than standing up against the one who beats you.
Then, I lost to Agrenish in my first attempted defense. After he became the first person to defend the Tenth ring by defeating Unagi, I had challenged him because I didn't like his attitude. Though, deep down, I had once again wanted to stand up against the one who defeated me. Once more, I won the ring back.
His returned challenge came a short time later, which I defended. Lupton issued challenge some time afterwards, and defended. Then, Drake came, who challenged me because she wanted an answer. That answer came after the challenge between the two of us was fought, with her garnering the ring. I had finally defended the Tenth ring, twice, and I was ready once more to stand up to the adversity and challenge Drake in return. I won, with the
match as close as it was before.
Mornlythe issued challenge about a month and a half after I regained the ring. He gave me the most brutal beating ever in a challenge, 5-1. As you can see in the pattern, I challenged him in return. I managed to win the ring back. I cannot recall seeing him since then.
Fourteen months passed when Damien Mortis thought it was time for me to defend the ring. Once more, I failed to defend the ring I feel is so special. However, I was not given the chance to issue challenge in return, because he retired it a few days later. When the ring was up in the tourney, I entered, and among the duelists... I got to fight Damien. In a way, it was like me issuing challenge to him in return; I won, and subsequently placed
in the Tourney to regain the ring.
A month and a half passed before Cas challenged; this was one of my most heated challenges (though some arguments with Drake and Lupton were also rampant). I was unable to defend the ring. Cas won. He also was the first one since my second reign to defend the ring, that against Lorance. Eventually, I issued challenge for the right to wear the Tenth ring, and won.
Then your challenge came. One with no animosity, and in many ways you reminded me of when I first challenged for the Tenth. And you won. Not only that, but of the many times I dueled you after that, I have had a very hard time defeating you. Out of twelve or so duels between us, I have won only thrice. As you were expecting, I am coming back for the ring, not only because I wish to hold the ring I feel is special, but also because your
competition makes it a true challenge.
Through the years of holding and challenging for the Tenth, I have been called obsessed, as if I think the ring is mine. The only claim I make to the ring is the fact I have been given the honor to be a rich part in its history, a ring of the honorable sport. And though I will never be one of the legends of this great sport, I hope that one day (a day very far away), when I am no longer participating in the duels, someone else will challenge
for the Tenth ring because they wish to place his or her foot in the small print I left on this great sport.
This is my official challenge to you, Baron Arithon, for the right to bear the Tenth Ring of the Duel of Swords. I'll see you in the ring.
Var Medici-Giovanni

The peers ::Written a lot more neatly to make sure Remy can find them on the standings::

Opponent Score # rounds Date
Blindfold Proxy ((Same SN)) 5-0 6 7-18
Elle ((Elle McBride)) 5-4 9 7-25
Dustin ((Flavorless Gum)) 5-4 11 8-2
Cas ((Cassius Maxim)) 5-0 8 8-9
Manni ((ManniCohai)) 5-3 7 8-15
Aya ((Aya Hayashibara)) 5-0 5 8-17
Roban ((LrdArcanum)) 5-4 12 8-17
Xerzes ((Xerzes M)) 5-2 10 8-22
Jehanne ((JehanneHealer)) 5-2 9 8-23
Lorance ((SgtSneggle)) 5-2 6 8-29

Some extras, just in case
Aya ((Aya Hayashibara)) 5.5-3 14 7-18
Cas ((Cassius Maxim)) 5-2 7 7-18
Manni ((ManniCohai)) 7-6 15 8-22
Spike ((Spike Momus)) 5-1 6 8-29
Arithon ((LrdArithon)) 5-2 13 8-31
Seamus ((Jakvaltrds)) 5-2 7 8-31
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:30 pm

Date: 07 Sep 2002 18:06:08 EDT

Lord Medici-Giovanni,

As you know and were so kind as to mention, my challenge to you for the bearing of the Tenth was issued in the greatest respect and without rancor or animosity. I was humbled and gratified by your grace and dignity in the course of the challenge and was proud to be the heir of such a distinguished and honored history as that which attends the Tenth Ring.

Now, I am equally proud and honored by the courtesy and respect you have shown in your reciprocal challenge. I accept your challenge without provision, knowing that a man of your standing and possessed of your integrity will require no verification of particulars.

I pledge that I shall arrange the match without delay, as befits this challenge!

With greatest regards,
Arithon Falessan
Baron of the Tenth
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:30 pm

Date: 14 Sep 2002 11:59:09 EDT

Lord, Ladies and Sundry Others

Be it known that on the evening of Tuesday next, by some known as the seventeenth day of September, at half past nine by the eastern clock, I shall be honored to defend the Tenth Ring against a respected challenger, Var Medici-Giovanni.

I hope to see many of you there to witness an evening of armed combat and enjoy the excellent food and drink in the basement of the Red Dragon Inn.

With regards,
Arithon Falessan
Baron of the Tenth