DoS Archive
Archivist

To the Barons and Baronessessess

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:30 pm

Date: 09 Sep 2002 23:23:29 EDT

::walking up and looking over his shoulder to see whether anybody is watching::

::tacking the following message to the board::

Milords and Ladies,

I have at my disposal 10 or so Peer Wins and I have been informed that I need to challenge somebody for their ring. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with most of you. To help me with my dilemma, I would ask that you write a 25 word essay on "Why you should challenge me". I would feel bad if the person I challenged felt that they were not worthy enough for me to challenge. You can then send it to me by Messenger Pidgeon, or by replying to
this board, or tacking it to your forehead and stand in front the big window I look through, each and every morning, as I prepare for the day ahead.

Respectfully,
Nicholas Overton Tyme
Former Lord of House Tyme
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:30 pm

Date: 10 Sep 2002 01:27:57 EDT

To Nick.

If someone told you "You have Ten Peer Wins. You Have to Challenge them." Then you would be a fool to believe them.

To have the ability to do a thing does not mean you *have* to do that thing.

If you wish to challenge, then that is fine. Challenge on your own terms, for your own reasons. Not because someone told you to do so, or because some idiot told you you *had* to do it.

Thus endeth the lesson.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:31 pm

Date: 10 Sep 2002 01:42:01 EDT

G's essay is inadmissible because it is over 25 words.
But he is right. Don't challenge just because someone says you should. That would make you less worthy of a baron than someone who challenges simply because they can.
Though I am not a baron, I will say one reason why I wish to be a baron in general (I won't discuss why I am challenging for the Tenth since I've already done that): It is an honor to be a rich part of the written history of the Duel of Swords, plus I do not feel I am good enough of a duelist to challenge for Overlord and represent myself as the "Supreme Duelist."
That's just me though; I suggest you challenge if you recognize the importance of going for the title, and if you acknowledge the rich history of our wonderful sport.

Var Medici-Giovanni

Proud Father, Proud Husband
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Sep 2002 02:07:32 EDT

Nick,

Like O.G. and V just told you,
you don't gotta challenge just because someone told you that you gotta. Although, I think you should challenge me. I'll lay it out in some solid points.

1) I just got the ring, a lot of people think I'm young and inexperienced. At least that's what they said at the Tournament. You've been around this block a couple of times to my understanding. I need some excitement, you need a challenge. Done and Done.

2) I'm a nice guy for the most part. I won't snap at you and bite your head off if you challenge me because I'm asking for it. I wouldn't do it anyway, even if I didn't ask you.

3) Did I mention that if I hold a title, I want to fight for it? Constantly? That's one of the reasons I wasn't too keen on picking up a Ring, because I saw the lack of challenges going on to the Barons. I'm someone who is always fighting. I think it's good to keep in top form.

4) I don't think I've ever beaten you. I'm not too sure what this point means, but I thought it was valid.

5) Did I mention I want to get challenged?

6) Twelve is a nice round number. It's even got some biblical references if you're in to that sort of thing.

7) I like challenges if I didn't say that before.

Tical M. Carter
Number Twelve.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Sep 2002 10:38:04 EDT

Nicholas,

Mary had a little lamb whose fleece was white as snow. And everywhere that Mary went the lamb was sure to go. Now if that isn't enough reason to challenge Nova for the Eighth then I don't know what is. Enjoy!

~Harris
Bearer of the Seventh
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Sep 2002 11:19:16 EDT

The samurai student of Shinmen Musashi No Kami Fujiwara No Genshin, slashes sparse strokes of ink on a scrap of rice paper with a bamboo and horsehair brush and pins the note to the board. Roughly translated, the kanji characters would read:

Three times seasons change
challengers come one by one
they all fall like leaves.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 10 Sep 2002 11:39:16 EDT

Bored, challenge me.

~Magnus~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:32 pm

Date: 10 Sep 2002 19:21:22 EDT

((It seems the sarcasm was lost. I haven't decided to challenge or not...just trying to generate some board revenue))

::peering up at the responses and scratching his head.::