Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

A Statement from the Overlord

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:46 pm

Date: 22 Nov 2002 18:55:44 EST

::typed upon The Blindfold custom rose-colored stationary::

To the Duel of Swords community:

It is to my understanding that this establishment promises its duelists protection from permanent injury due to an undefined healing entity you call the Ward of Gondar. In recent weeks I have heard rumors that myself has unleashed a diabolical plot to weaken this Ward with the gift of a pair of conjoined statues. I find this accusation preposterous that something so lifeless and concrete can directly damage the metaphysical.

If the Duel of Swords insures its duelists with this Ward, I find it to be a shaky foundation on which to run a business such as it. I doubt any of you understand the Ward, how it is fueled and how exactly it protects. I know that there are even those who are absolutely immune to it. And if it is being weakened by an unknown agent, then I question the Ward's dependability as well. The Blindfold Arena has a medical staff on hand during its sparring hours to guarantee the safety of its duelists.

My presence in your establishment is as a publicity campaigner and no more. I give myself no personal identity for one is not intrinsic to the job. I refuse to get involved with anyone's unwarranted personal vendetta with myself. To those of you of a barbaric spirit who wish to indulge in your murderous fantasies within the Duel of Swords Arena without suffering the consequences of your actions, I pity you. I expect the impending match with Baron Maximus to be conducted with utmost formality, for I have no reason to endanger myself here.

Your Overlord
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:46 pm

Date: 23 Nov 2002 13:10:20 EST

::narrows her eyes as she reads:: There's something in this that's just not...right. He's hiding something, I can sense it. Either that or he's outright lying.

::takes quill to paper and writes a simple, three-word note::

Kill him, Baron.

::at the bottom of the note there is no signature. Only the duchal seal of Amandor resides in its place::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:47 pm

Date: 23 Nov 2002 20:37:58 EST

"Kill him, Baron."

Believe me, between his statements and what I found out...at this point, I pretty much intend to.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 27 Nov 2002 06:32:09 EST

No wonder ye faced th' Test, with public words like thet.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 27 Nov 2002 15:09:39 EST

"No wonder ye faced th' Test, with public words like thet."

The Test is not an automatic condemnation of unworthiness. Ian MacKenzie, Verceterix Gavin Favre, Athlstan, and others have been tested. Don't get me wrong, I still support the Test. I also think it can be abused; again, that's not a new opinion of mine.

Sometimes, Karen, the Test says that a man is not worthy.

Other times, it says that the Overlord is a coward.

But I'm done complaining. I'll see him next cycle.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 27 Nov 2002 16:19:00 EST

Worthiness, cowardice. I think the Overlord, or whoever he has organizing these challenges for him, simply has a knack for putting on a good show. Heck, just take a look at the business he represents.

Del
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:48 pm

Date: 27 Nov 2002 17:17:35 EST

"Worthiness, cowardice. I think the Overlord, or whoever he has organizing
these challenges for him, simply has a knack for putting on a good show."

A good show.

You mean like my Swordbrother knocking your teeth down your throat?

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:48 pm

Date: 27 Nov 2002 17:40:30 EST

Sometimes, Karen, the Test says that a man is not worthy.

Other times, it says that the Overlord is a coward.

And I suppose it's your opinion which matters on whether or not the challenger is not worthy or the Overlord is a coward. It may surprise you, Cas, but there are people in the Arena who do not believe you are worthy.

While on that note, I kindly ask you to refrain from accusing the current Overlord of Charlie Jericho's death. I have not yet seen proof to convince me of that. At this moment, all we know is that the Ward failed. I have heard the theories and, personally, I believe many of them are farfetched.

If you do have proof, Ramsus Tidewater is the person you should contact. His daughter is Charlie's heiress and, as Charlie has no living family, Ramsus is searching for the truth. A monetary award from Charlie Jericho's estate and Nausikaa Enterprises is being offered for evidence as to whom or what is behind the recent incidents with the Ward.

- Arane Ganderfald
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:49 pm

Date: 27 Nov 2002 17:58:03 EST

Worthiness is a matter of opinion of the Overlord.

Beyond that, it doesn't really matter. Not to me anyways.

Why I stepped in is cause it's fun. Course, It got me my butt kicked, but hey, still a bit of fun.

Worthiness is subjective to opinion. As is cowardice.

One mans coward is another mans wise strategist.

G
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 27 Nov 2002 18:08:09 EST

"If you do have proof, Ramsus Tidewater is the person you should contact."

Speaking of suspect personalities, maybe you should check on Ramsus's own past.

Unless, of course, you know and don't care, which really shows how qualified your opinion is.

Arane, I am well aware that there are people here that do not want me as Overlord. They are welcome to try and stop me if they wish. Hey, Drey did. He couldn't finish the job, and thus I'll be back, but he stopped me for that one night. I don't like him, but I definitely respect him. He raised his blade. The Overlord did not.

Arane, there are people here who would like nothing more than for me to leave. And when I came here, I cared very much about what such people thought. I don't anymore. There are people who do not believe me worthy, but there are people who do. Guess which group I'll fight for?

So no, it doesn't surprise me. No one has ever had universal support. It may surprise you, Arane, but there were a lot of people who weren't exactly thrilled when your whiny husband upended Dalamar for the crown.

I never once accused the Proxy of Jericho's death. But something funny is going on here, and even erasing her death out of the picture, we have had numerous people be seriously injured due to the failure of the Ward. Is it the Proxy's fault or not? There's a lot of people who think so, and they are having more and more reason to do it. My suggestion is we investigate. Problem is, he doesn't seem too cooperative. You know, that doesn't exactly look good.

Look, while I'm not going to blame the statues outright, I will note that the Ward has not failed in the Annex, and I do suggest we cover them up. For a weekend or so. If the Proxy has nothing to hide, he will have no issue with this.

It may not be those statues. It may be a spell. Maybe Val de Morta has returned. Maybe Auritan is injured or comatose. I will admit there are other possibilities. But I also have to admit that those possibilities don't add up.

P.S: His last name is Llegron, not Tidewater.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 27 Nov 2002 18:56:05 EST

You swallowed your teeth, Cas?

Del
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 27 Nov 2002 20:01:59 EST

>One mans coward is another mans wise strategist.

No truer statement about what Overlords do in regards to challenges as ever been said. Its all a matter of perspective. The best thing you could do is win when you challenge, otherwise what you have to say when your the loser means crap. Trust me, I know from personal experience.

~Elijah
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:50 pm

Date: 27 Nov 2002 21:27:21 EST

"You swallowed your teeth, Cas?

Del"

That a reference to Drey? If it is..well, oddly enough, I may not be Overlord, but I am Baron of the Ninth still.

Wanna come try and take it?

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 28 Nov 2002 00:05:25 EST

"You referred to a Swordbrother knocking your teeth down your throat, Cas. It
was an honest question.

Del"

The reference was to you and Daelin, for the First.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 27 Nov 2002 23:06:35 EST

You referred to a Swordbrother knocking your teeth down your throat, Cas. It was an honest question.

Del