A pressing matter

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

A pressing matter

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:09 pm

Date: 11 Feb 2003 12:06:18 EST

I have issued challenge to Arithon Falessen for the mantle of Overlord.

This challenge was delivered prior to Drachen's, but as Drachen challenged under the rights of a Loyal Baron banished to Renegade, his right superceded my own.

Apparently, that is no longer an issue. I have waited until now to announce this because of the matter of the Drachen challenge. Regardless, myself and the Overlord have ironed
out most of the details. The challenge will commence next Monday at 10 by Rhydin's clock(EST), in the Arena. The format is undecided.

Many know my challenges to be affairs of, as the late Percival de Clermont once coined it, "animus". This is not one of them. I count the Overlord as a friend and see him as a good man, and my challenge was partly fueled by the knowledge that in challenging him, I would recieve an honorable, clean duel against one who shares the same soldierly values that I do. Thusly, I will now announce the promise I have already made in private when I issued challenge: If I am beaten by the Overlord's blade, the Ninth will petition to be realigned Loyal.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 11 Feb 2003 16:20:37 EST

I see a glaring contradiction at me being called out as a turncoat for realigning to renegade for both Dal and Avery, when someone else says "You're my friend, but I am going to be Renegade just so I can challenge you" in one sentence.
Just out of curiosity, Cas, why Arithon? You've been loyal to other Overlords, in fact the previous holder, Dalila, was one you declared loyalty to. Perhaps you just wish to take advantage of your so-called friendship to Arithon and make your own run at the crown?
Either way, I've realigned to Renegade. My faith in the morality of Overlords is quickly fading away, and personally think Arithon should have just told you, Cas, you have a snowball's chance in hell at becoming a loyal baron by petitioning as soon as you lose.
But hey, he doesn't mind if his "friends" become Renegade, and I'm not even going to challenge him, so I am pretty sure there will be no hard feelings.

Var Medici-Giovanni

Proud Father, Proud Husband
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 11 Feb 2003 18:41:29 EST

Ari,

I wish you good fortune in your bout with Cas. He is a doughty fighter and you have your work cut out for you.

Sgt. Sneggle
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 11 Feb 2003 18:49:43 EST

Aren't all challenges to the Overlord first come first serve, and if a special situation comes up the other challenges are voided? How is it Cas can just slip on with a challenge so queitly and quickly after Drachen changes his mind?

Regards with respect, skill, and honor to the Blade,

Rest in reason, pursue in passion,

Elijah Basia Uhr

Fromer Baron of the Fifth, Seventh, Eigth, Ninth, Twelfth Rings of Swords,

Warder Mentor of the Dragon Blademaster Dojo
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:10 pm

Date: 11 Feb 2003 18:55:34 EST

Elijah,

Cas offered challenge to Arithon before the situation with Drachen occured. Drachen's challenge took precedence over Cas' due to his being banished to Renegade. Now that the Drachen challenge is settled, Cas' original challenge is moving forward.

It's happened before. I just don't think a lot of people knew about this one.

-Rix
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Feb 2003 14:11:04 EST

Have tae agree with Var on this one.

Guess it's time I made more time tae duel.

Lady Karen Wilder
Knight-Captain of the Order of the Knights Templar
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Feb 2003 18:36:06 EST

Lord Medici-Giovanni,

I appreciate your forthright opinion. Your status as a Baron is, of course, entirely within your own control. I must confess that I do not entirely understand your decision, but because I trust your honor and integrity, I accept your decision as you have stated it.

I do however object to your implication that my response to Cassius's challenge makes me immoral. It seems that you are upset because of historical events. and I do not see that a difference of opinion between us constitutes a breach of morality on my part.

If I may, for your own benefit and that of the dueling community, allow me to lay out my reasons for behaving as I have in this matter.

First, I do not have the option of not accepting a challenge from Cassius Maximius. As a Renegade Baron, he has that right, and he has chosen to exercise it.

Second, both before I challenged for the crown and after I won it, I stated very clearly that I believe firmly that those who bear titles, and the Overlord most of all, should stand ever ready to face challenge.

Third, given my stated wish that Overlords be challenged often and well, in what way could I be expected to take offense at a Baron choosing to take me at my word and press challenge?

Fourth, if I am not offended by Cassius's challenge, and am in fact happy to face it as an opportunity to prove and validate my own statements, why would I be unwilling to accept his loyalty, should he be defeated? If the challenge is offered without rancor, and accepted without offense, on what ground would I refuse the Loyalty of the challenger?

In conclusion, I hope that our cordial friendship will remain as it has in the past, but I fear that you may be, in effect, saying that you cannot be Loyal to an Overlord to whom Cassius Maximius is Loyal. If this is the case, I wish you well.

And should you ever choose to press challenge yourself, my stance would change not one whit.

Arithon Falessan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Feb 2003 19:25:11 EST

Arithon,
It is not your response which had me judge as immoral. It is your failure to stand your ground in your response which had me judge as immoral. But you're right, I am really angry and bitter over the past. At the risk of sounding like a martyr, I've faced a lot of flak for changing to Renegade by a few, the challenging Baron Cassius not excluded. Now to be renegade to a "friend" and then say "I'm going to try to take your title away, but if I can't, I'll be loyal" seems to be no smaller treachery.
Though it seems I am the only one to speak out against this. Maybe I'm just touchy. But it's also rather sad to have a silent community when it comes to the Overlord and how he gets there. Anyone else remember Adonai challenging Dal out of boredom, and how much of an outrage that was?
Shame. Perhaps you are indeed a good Overlord to represent this community, for you display as much indifference as does everyone else.
Frankly, the fact that you are not going to deny loyalty, simply because Cas is not willing to take a political stance, tells me you're either very gullible or very desperate for friends. Since you never struck me as stupid, it sounds more like you'll take the loyalty where you can get them... and that's what I view is immoral.

Var Medici-Giovanni

DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:11 pm

Date: 13 Feb 2003 20:02:30 EST

Yeah, you suck. Crew for Overlord!!

cg
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 13 Feb 2003 22:40:18 EST

>Since you never struck me as stupid, it sounds more like you'll take the
>loyalty where you can get them... and that's what I view is immoral.

Now wait a minute. As far as the other stuff is concerned, I think Ari can make whatever decisions that he has or wants to make as Overlord, but that last statement I believe is a bit of a knock against us Loyal Barons. I chose to be Loyal because I feel that since I have become Baron, Arithon is the only one that I have known well enough to call friend and the only one since I have become Baron that was worthy of the title. It was not a decision made lightly.

Regards,
Nicholas Tyme
Baron of the 12th
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 14 Feb 2003 03:19:28 EST

Nick,
Please keep in mind I, too, was Loyal, and my remarks were not to knock any who wish to be loyal. Though if you do feel slighted, maybe it's because you're going to be sharing loyalty with someone who's trying to take the crown away from your Overlord. Now if that doesn't bother you, that's fine. But I cannot symbolically lay my sword down for the Overlord when he's accepting loyalty from someone raising his sword and abusing so-called friendship. Unfortunately my realignment has not enlightened Arithon about what sort of message he's sending, especially to those who had declared themselves loyal.
As for Arithon's actions as Overlord, you're right, he can do what he wants. Doesn't mean I have to condone it. Just like I can exercise my wish to post on the boards. You don't have to condone it, and spoken up you have.

Var Medici-Giovanni

DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 14 Feb 2003 23:54:21 EST

Sounds like this is all pretty much Cassius' fault.

BRK
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 15 Feb 2003 09:36:02 EST

"Sounds like this is all pretty much Cassius' fault.

BRK"

Nothing's my fault, and nothing is wrong.

You weren't here when me and Var had our big falling-out. Trust me, if this was anyone else, he wouldn't say a thing.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:12 pm

Date: 15 Feb 2003 13:06:23 EST

I'm so glad things haven't changed while I was gone. With this, just blame everything on me, I'm sure I had something to do with it somewhere.

~Huma
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:12 pm

Date: 15 Feb 2003 15:19:52 EST

It's Phil's fault