A pressing matter

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:12 pm

Date: 15 Feb 2003 21:07:46 EST

I, fer one, agree with Baron Var.

Were I th' Overlord an' a previously Loyal Baron were tae become Renegade an' challenge me, there would be no way I would ever accept their Loyalty again.
Why should they earn th' protection o' Loyalty if they dinnae show Loyalty at all times? There be more tae th' protection o' Loyalty than intervention.

Lady Karen Wilder
Knight-Captain of the Order of the Knights Templar.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 15 Feb 2003 21:54:06 EST

It's always Phil's fault.

Regards with respect, skill, and honor to the Blade,

Rest in reason, pursue in passion,

Elijah Basia Uhr

Fromer Baron of the Fifth, Seventh, Eigth, Ninth, Twelfth Rings of Swords,

Warder Mentor of the Dragon Blademaster Dojo
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 15 Feb 2003 21:54:06 EST

It's always Phil's fault.

Regards with respect, skill, and honor to the Blade,

Rest in reason, pursue in passion,

Elijah Basia Uhr

Fromer Baron of the Fifth, Seventh, Eigth, Ninth, Twelfth Rings of Swords,

Warder Mentor of the Dragon Blademaster Dojo
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 18 Feb 2003 00:51:32 EST

There are many societies where a duelist might elect to align themselves loyal to a figure of authority. In such a society, what better worthiness for loyalty could there be than raw ability? And how better to test that worthiness than with a challenge of arms?

I do not see how the challenge of Cassius Maximius, and his subsequent request to be aligned loyal, could be the heinous act many here consider it to be. He offered challenge, and based on the outcome of that challenge, offered his loyalty to one he considered worthy of the mantle of Overlord.

Rather, I think Cassius and Arithon should both be commended for their civilty. A challenge was offered, and so too was a reason for the challenge, leaving none in wonder as many challenges these days do. The Overlord in turn, publicly accepted the challenge and made effort to invite an audience to witness the event. Both in their respect for the traditions of the sport have honored these halls.

I look forward to more such challenges.

~ Aelric Shadowmane ~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:13 pm

Date: 19 Feb 2003 02:49:28 EST

I've talked with the Overlord briefly and gotten the gist of the situation.

If Cas had remained Renegade from the start until he had the chance to meet the OL in combat to prove either's worth, I'd have been in total support of the situation.

However, to be loyal and to turn renegade and challenge and then expect to be taken back into the ranks of the loyals is foolish.

I could never trust a person that did this to me and I couldn't trust the competence of an Overlord who allowed the same.

What the duels need is stability, not this arse-grabbing spectacle we have going on now.

BRK's publicist
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 19 Feb 2003 03:45:13 EST

BRK's publicist,
I was the loyal who went Renegade. Cassius was the renegade wanting to go Loyal. Neither of us have shifted from one alignment, to another, back to another alignment again.

Var Medici-Giovanni

Proud Father, Proud Husband
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 19 Feb 2003 09:14:52 EST

Var,
While I respect your decision in going renegade to Arithon, I think your reason is foolish. It seems as though you are challenging his honor with your decision, however, and Ari is by far the most honorably person many in the Arena shall ever meet.

I am sure you have felt quite a bit of this, as your wife insulted him so that he would promise not to challenge you.

Sprite
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 19 Feb 2003 14:42:36 EST

I don't know much about this guy's honor. So far I've seen him say he'll do something then change his mind. If you tell a Baron you'll step in for him, then don't... well, I don't see how any other loyal Baron can trust him.

Yeah, you can challenge right away, but that's only if you can defend. This guy looks to me to be a snake.

-Rix
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 19 Feb 2003 14:51:30 EST

"I am sure you have felt quite a bit of this, as your wife insulted him so that he would promise not to challenge you. "

Sprite,
Those may be two different issues.

Collie

Var or Noelle,

Is what Sprite says true?
Is it true that Noelle insulted Arithon and based upon it he agreed to not challenge Var?

Collie
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:14 pm

Date: 19 Feb 2003 15:05:23 EST

>I don't know much about this guy's honor. So far I've seen him say he'll do
>something then change his mind. If you tell a Baron you'll step in for him,
>then don't... well, I don't see how any other loyal Baron can trust him.

This "loyal Baron" ye spoke of was told in no uncertain terms tha' if'n ye asked fer an intercession he would no' receive one. Ari's like a brother t'me, an' more than tha', we both fight under the banner o' the Golden House. Drachen was a fool an' had no "loyalty" t'Arithon. 'E tried t'maneuver the Overlord as a pawn an' Ari would have none of it. An' anyone wha' has a question concernin' the Overlord's honour has the right t'challenge 'im fer the mantle. In fact, I believe Ari's publically announced 'is desire t'be challenged. But jus' know tha' I'll personally offer me blade t'the Overlord before each o' his challenges, no matter who the challenger is.

Hold Fast,

Grayson MacLeod.

Holder of IceDancer.

Warlord of the Duel of Swords.

Past Keeper of Water.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 19 Feb 2003 17:48:15 EST

"Is it true that Noelle insulted Arithon and based upon it he agreed to not challenge Var?"

It's sad my wife is used as a scapegoat just because at the time, Arithon didn't want someone mad at him. Collie, Arithon had mentioned after I won the Tenth back he was going to take a "page out of my book" and challenge me in return. Noelle didn't like it, but as you should know, she doesn't like it when anyone challenges me.
Sprite worded it as if she made Arithon promise not to challenge. Fact of the matter is, Arithon got upset because he didn't get a warm response, and decided on his own he wouldn't do so. There was never, in my recollection, words that came out of Noelle's mouth demanding he not challenge, or made Arithon promise he not challenge. That was all Arithon's decision, both the idea to re-challenge and the idea to rescind.

Var Medici-Giovanni

Proud Father, Proud Husband
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 19 Feb 2003 18:34:41 EST

>However, to be loyal and to turn renegade and challenge and then expect to be
>taken back into the ranks of the loyals is foolish.

I would agree that a Loyal turning Renegade in order to challenge and then hoping to return Loyal would be a less than honorable situation, however...

According to the published standings, at no time was Baron Cassius Maximius ever Loyal to Arithon prior to his request to be so aligned.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 19 Feb 2003 19:45:34 EST

As some of you may recall when I first ventured into the DoS I had little regard for the honor or lack of that I found. Over time I began to see that some people exude honor and are willing to stand up for what they believe in no matter what the cost.

I have known Ari and Var for a goodwhile and have found them both to be honorable people who have to the best of my knowledge lived to their code of honor.

I sincerly ask, for what I perceive to be the good of the DoS that they agree to disagree and not create opportunity for the cheap-shots that others will take.

Sincerly,

Lorance

He is a member of The Silent Company and I have gotten to know him well over the pa
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:15 pm

Date: 19 Feb 2003 19:48:47 EST

Baron Medici-Giovanni,

I must confess that I am unfamiliar with the causes for your feud with Cassius Maximius. With that stated, I will say nonetheless that it seems to me that your dislike of an individual has led you further and further into a realm of ill feeling.

At one time, you publically stated your high regard for me. You spoke of things such as how honorable an opponent you felt me to be on the two occasions when we did combat for the Tenth.

Now, it seems your regard for me sinks lower day by day. You make it sound as if I backed out of a challenge simply because I wanted Noelle to like me.

Oddly enough, at the time you seemed to understand the true intention of my remarks on that occasion, namely that I had no wish to press a challenge which would cause ill feeling in the household of one whom I considered a friend.

Am I your friend, Lord Medici-Giovanni? If so, perhaps you should consider whether or not your dislike of one man is worth this fuss.

If not, I would find that most unfortunate, and a loss to me personally. But whether or not you (or any other Barons or Warlords), are my friends or not is completely without relevance to the office of Overlord.

Any Baron who feels I am dishonorable or unworthy should press challenge immediately following the tournament, for any Baron who allows an unworthy Overlord to hold the crown and takes no action is more unworthy still.

Arithon Falessan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:15 pm

Date: 19 Feb 2003 21:22:15 EST

Grayson, from what I read about the challenge to Drachen was that Arithon first told him he would step in, but later changed his mind. If I am wrong and Arithon told him from the start there would be no intercession, then I retract my statements.

-Rix