A Beginning to an End..

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

A Beginning to an End..

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:24 pm

Date: 04 Mar 2003 01:32:27 EST

.....Sitting quietly upon the ledge of the Pearl Mountain arena, his through raced through the eons which he had lived out within these lands. It had been many years ago when he found Rhydin, and in finding Rhydin, he found the arena's.. and most of all, the Duel of Swords. There, he had found two wives.. one who was lost to him, and the one who he was ment to be with.. the one who his heart beat for.
Spike had helped him through more than she could ever fanthom... but this that plagued him now was something that she couldn't help... not even he knew how he was going to get past this.. illness. Within the past year, he had fought off the disease with every step he took and every breath he made.. but now it was to the point where he could do no more to prevent its course.
A deep sigh made its way out, and his head turned a moment as he heard the opening of the elevator as it reached the top of the mountain. He didn't need to look to know who would be lookin for him this late in the eve.. and he was glad it was her, and not the little one. Indigo's heart would be broken if she knew what he had to tell her mother. He worried more for his wife and his daughter than he did his own life. But this was something that would bring pride to her.. something that he had to do for Indigo.
"Spike.. my love.. the time has come for Armageddon to be unleashed in the Duel of Swords..."

((As a side note, consider this a closed SL for the moment.. as it progresses, it will become open.. Thank You))
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 16 Mar 2003 18:44:56 EST

(part 2)

For weeks now, he had been pushing his body beyond all necessary means, preparing for what he knew would be coming. Still, what he had done would never be enough to stop the illness now that it had begun. Each day he felt his will grow stronger, his spirit grow tougher.. but it was his body that was weakening, and that he could do nothing about.

Dueling nights, he would carry himself to the Arena, and push his body to obey him, to keep it active and strong, but even the rigors of the dance with swords wasn't enough to turn the 'disease' around, or even keep it in a stalemate. In those nights, he would watch his friends, and see in their eyes the look of worry which disturbed their minds, not knowing what was happening to him or even how they could help. Some wondered if Spike knew he was out, thinking that what had taken him was a simple flu or cold.. and in truth, she didn't. He couldn't let her see him this weak. His life was bound to hers and he would not let her see him hurting so, for in that simple action, he could possibably lose the battle.

Word came to him of the challenges that suddenly blustered around the Arena, and his mind raced with the thought. The time was right, and the time was now. No.. the illness is what made him push this action foward, not the reason. He had no reason in his mind to do what was done, but the action's were placed in action; and as hard as he tried, he could do little to turn this back.

His eyes closed tightly as a deep pain rivited through his body. The pain was becoming overbearing lately, to the point of near unconciousness. A ragged breath was drawn and his eyes opened slowly, and he found himself looking into the eyes of his daugher.

A worried look creased the little one's face, and her hands began to fidget.
"Papa Tass...there's someone here to see you.."

It was obvious she knew something was wrong, but she yet could not piece it all together in her young mind. A warm and caring smile came to his lips, and he reached over and pulled her close, giving her a soft kiss to the top of her head.
"I love you, little one.. go show them in, then bring your mother here, please"
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 21 Mar 2003 14:17:40 EST

(Part 3)

Topaz steps fell lightly as the she moved down the path though the forested area. She had finished her duties early and decided to drop in on Tass to see how he fared. She knew that he wasn't himself lately and looked rather ill. And that worried her. As another step fell on the path, she suddenly found herself clear of the forest, and upon looking back, found no trees at all. With a grin, Topaz continued towards the doors to the mansion before her.

As she reached the intricately carved doors, she shifted the box of pastries and gave a soft rap on the massive red oak doors. Almost immediately, the door opened slightly, and revealed the top of a young girls head; her long dark hair tied back and off the shoulders of what appeared to be a dirty padded dueling uniform.

"Umm.. Hi! Papa Tass said to show you in. He's in the study looking over some boring papers and numbers and stuff. He told me that I could have the day to practice swords instead of numbers so I'm doing that today." Despite the quick and excited voice of the little one, it was obvious by the look in her eyes that she too knew something was wrong, but yet could not find the answers to what it might be in her young mind.

"Oh.. well, I should have known." A warm smile spread on her lips as she watched Indigo's excitement abound, then she gave a quick blink, realizing that Tass knew she was there. "You go and have fun, Indigo. I'll find my way."

Indigo stood there a moment, her hands fidgeting in front of her as she carefully looked over Topaz, then giving a slight nod, she dashed off back down the hall. Stepping in, Topaz closed the door and made her way down towards the study. She grinned to herself, the thought of surprising Tass still on her mind. As she reached the study's door, she stepped in, having just been reminded of Tass' abilities. "Hello, Tass."

Tass's eyes were closed as he leaned back in his chair. Barely visible above the desk before him, his hands were folded across his lap, the knuckles white and hands shaking with stress even at rest. His breath was coming in soft, shallow bursts and the muscles in his jaw-line were continually rippling.

Stepping forward, she set the box upon the desk and made her way around it. "You need a break." As she neared him, his body suddenly relaxed and his eyes slowly opened, and a small smile spread on his lips as she leaned down and greeted Tass with a friendly kiss.

"Oh, there'll be time enough for a break soon, but too much has to go forth before then." Tass did not like to see worry over himself in anyones eyes. But the fairy instisted Tass gave Gunther's pasteries their well deserved attention.

If possible, Tass's smile grew a little, and even the old light of mischief touched his eyes as he spoke. "So, what brings you here hun? You need this old man to set Arithon straight?"

Her chuckle came softly as she replied in the negative. Her mien turned a bit more serious. "It's you that brings me here. You've not looked well as of late."

The smile that had danced in his eyes was suddenly gone. "I've looked the same for a good while now. A drink..?" Topaz knew Tass was skirting around the topic.

Her eyes never left him as he turned in his chair. "Coffee would be welcome, thank you." A gentle breeze rose within the walls of the study, danced through the room and out through the door. "I do see past the screen you've put up, Tass, but not clearly. You are not getting better."

Topaz noted Tass was slow in rising and used the desk like a crutch as he stood. "None of us get better as time continues forward. We all fight time, in hopes that we will someday conquer it. And in truth, we will. But when that day comes, we leave this world.. That fight is what is making me..," Tass paused briefly to find the right word. "Sick. But it's not just for me that I fight for. No, leaving this world would have been a god-send a few decades ago, but now, I've something that I can't.. I won't leave behind." Shock at Tass' words turned Topaz's face pale. This was far removed from what she had suspected. "This darkness is something that I don't know. It is something without a name.. and is older than I... This 'disease' has pushed me to stand renegade against one who I would normally stand loyal with. If Goon had not won, it would of been your gentleman, Arithon, that I would of went renegade on."

That thought of Arithon briefly put a smile to the fairy's lips. But she was determined to keep Tass on the subject. "Is there any thought of yours behind this decision or is all of it foreign?"

Tass's gaze once more turned towards the window, his voice once more soft. "Standing renegade for no reason is foreign. But I know why whatever it is, is pushing me. I know where it is taking me... but I don't know why it is taking me there."

Frowning a moment, she considered his words. "An odd puzzle with an evil flavor.. Or could it be you are mistaking it's flavor..?"

Tass turned and lifted a single piece of paper off his desk. His eyes locked on it a moment and seemed to be come oblivious to all, even to the small dragon that entered with the coffee and spiced tea. Tass' next words came sudden. "No, I know the flavor.. It's written here.."

Lifting her cup of coffee and his mug of tea, Topaz moved over towards Tass. Her eyes turned to the parchment in his hand. As she offered him the mug, he handed the parchment to her then had a deep sip of the tea. She watched quietly for a moment, and gave a small frown. Glancing down, she read over that which she held.

Overlord, Baron's, Staff, Community...
I, John Tasslehofl Momus, do hereby challenge for the title
and crown of Overlord.

Armageddon is coming

The first part looked to be Tass' handwriting. The last sentence definitly did not. Tass's words rung hard when he spoke again. "That was written near 2 weeks ago... the night of the final round of the warlords tournament."

"I don't understand. Armageddon..? Why do you keep this? Surely you have no intentions of sending it, do you?"

Tass dropped the parchment back to the desk and sat back into his chair, taking a long drink from his tea. "I understand none of it, the last part least of all. I still have it because I cannot destroy it." His words came with a troubled frown on his face. "Nothing worked, that I have tried.. and I feel that it will be posted and delivered.. soon."

Topaz moved back to her chair and finally took a seat, her mind racing over all that Tass might have done to destroy this letter. "No wonder you look so tired."

"That line does read true, though.. in a sense at least. Me, as the Overlord... the once self-proclaimed Emperor of Commoners.. as the Overlord. I can't say that the title has never held my interests, and I've always done what I could to honor the Arena.. but times are changed and I'm not sure if I have with them. The Second has always been my goal, and it was a promise to AJ that I made. But it seems now that perhaps whatever caused his illness was passed to me. I've considered that perhaps it is good that whatever this 'thing' is that is pushing me to challenge.. perhaps that will stop whatever is going on. That maybe there's something in the ring causing it..."

"A curse on the second. I had not thought to consider that possibility. But you should make a fine Overlord for the Duel of Swords, if you truly want the title."

Topaz watched him a moment, knowing there was so much more that he wasn't telling her. His sigh gave that away. "I'm not so much worried for me as I am for Spike and Indigo. They don't know what is going on.. not that I do."

"You should share with them. They know a lot and guess more. Not knowing all of it can only cause them the pain of not being in your confidence, no matter that your reasoning is your love for them and your need to protect them."

"I know, and that knowing makes it even harder..." She could hear the worry that filled Tass's voice in his words, and she leaned over, laying a caring hand on his, understanding all to well. "Somehow, I'm going to have to find a way to tell them both. I sent Indigo to find Spike."

"I'm confident you will find the right words."

"Right now, all I can do is hope."

"There is always hope."

Topaz did not yet see how she could be of help to Tass beyond just being a friend.