Results of the Eighth

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Results of the Eighth

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:49 pm

Date: 14 Apr 2003 14:05:20 EDT

Warlord Arithon Falessen's challenge to baron Aya Hayashibara for the eight ring has been carried out. The baron chose to meet her challenger in a single match and managed to fight him off in six short but hard-fought rounds. Congratulations to both on an impressive showing.

LrdArithon......: FS TH LC HC FD TH 0
Aya Hayashibara.: LC FL LC TH SL FC 5
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 14 Apr 2003 16:05:28 EDT

Damn, nice heads up on this one.

cg
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 15 Apr 2003 13:27:47 EDT

When did this challenge take place? Why was it never announced?
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:50 pm

Date: 15 Apr 2003 15:05:52 EDT

Why should they bother trying to get the community involved when the community is very good at saying they aren't interested in dueling? I saw five duels in two hours last week; and I called just one of them. What is that?
Granted, it would have been nice, but community participation has died. Make sure the combatants don't feel like they're sending invitations to a dead man, if you understand what I'm saying.
But this is to anyone, not just the people who made the post, because I'm sure more have the same sentiments: don't cease participation in the community and then get upset when you aren't included in the activities. Not fair to let it get to this level and then get upset about the net result.

Var Medici-Giovanni
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 15 Apr 2003 16:40:50 EDT

> Granted, it would have been nice, but community participation has died.

> But this is to anyone, not just the people who made the post, because I'm
>sure more have the same sentiments: don't cease participation in the
>community and then get upset when you aren't included in the activities. Not
>fair to let it get to this level and then get upset about the net result.

Var, why do you choose to defend the lack of notice?

You strike me as bitter, both in this response and others of a recent nature, and I am puzzled as to what event has precipitated it.

Not everyone in the community has vanished.

~*~ Aelric Shadowmane ~*~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 15 Apr 2003 16:57:42 EDT

>> But this is to anyone, not just the people who made the post, because I'm
>>sure more have the same sentiments: don't cease participation in the
>>community and then get upset when you aren't included in the activities.

It tends to be difficult to participate in activities when notices aren't given, wouldn't you agree?

~Harris
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 15 Apr 2003 19:05:48 EDT

Tell me, Aelric, what exactly in my posts is bitter in nature, other than the fact I sit for two hours to call duels and nobody shows up? In fact, what other posts have I made, at all?
As to why I'm defending the lack of notice, I have seen the same people week in and week out. I'm tired of the participation level being carried by a handful of people. You want to know what's going on, you show up and show this community means something to you... not expect yourself to mean something to the community.
On a side note, I did say that it would have been nice for there to be notice. But I'm not mourning the lack of notice either. I, myself, haven't been doing too much around the Arena and so I have little expectations as to how I should be treated or regarded.
Instead of getting hurt, maybe this should be taken as a sign as to how things are going. The Arena didn't die on its own, you know... it has to start with the people inside.

Var Medici-Giovanni
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 15 Apr 2003 20:40:42 EDT

"Tell me, Aelric, what exactly in my posts is bitter in nature?"

Well, seeing as how I agree with Aelric on this one, I'll offer a critique on one of your most recent posts, Var.

"Why should they bother trying to get the community involved when the community is very good at saying they aren't interested in dueling?"

"Granted, it would have been nice, but community participation has died."

These are both harsh comments on the community you give so much time to. Bottom line is your statements imply absolutely no hope. Instead of saying, "Well, I haven't seen many people showing up lately, so maybe Ari and Aya didn't expect anyone to show whether or not they bothered to inform the community," you offer the finality: "Community participation has DIED." You know, I was thinking showing up a bit more and giving the community a little support, but if the man whom I feel has spent more time in the Arena than anyone recently says there's no interest anymore, what's the point? Those statements reeked of defeatism and bitterness, Var, so give Aelric a break.

Oh, and pointing fingers isn't going to solve the lack of interest. If you have any desire to boost attendance in the Arena, then I suggest offering something constructive and, if nothing else, hopeful.

Deluthan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:51 pm

Date: 15 Apr 2003 22:07:30 EDT

Firstly, my thanks to Del for his supportive response.

Var, I am truly saddened if you cannot detect the bitterness in the tone of your responses. I do not know what event, or series of events, has caused you to feel this way. Here, and in other venues ((including OOC)), it's clear that you are unhappy.

I do not feel 'hurt' that you lashed out at me. Rather, as I said, I am saddened to see you lashing out. I would that there were a way for me to make you believe that. Perhaps there isn't. My concerns are sincere. I am troubled by your anger. I am troubled by the lack of any notice in regards this challenge. I am not oblivious to the recent decline in participation. There is little that I alone can do about that, except to continue my own participation (little as it may be) and to try and invest what more effort I can to let people know that I (and others) DO still care about the challenges and about the dueling in general.

~*~ Aelric Shadowmane ~*~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 16 Apr 2003 03:00:17 EDT

"These are both harsh comments on the community you give so much time to. Bottom line is your statements imply absolutely no hope. Instead of saying, "Well, I haven't seen many people showing up lately, so maybe Ari and Aya didn't expect anyone to show whether or not they bothered to inform the community," you offer the finality: "Community participation has DIED.""

The quotes you cited came from one post. Yet I am being told that my posts recently are bitter in nature. And I am to "give the man a break" for describing my overall attitude because of one post?
You seem hell bent on the fact that because I feel some people who haven't treated the Duel of Swords as a matter of importance, don't deserve to be informed of the ongoings, that I fully support the lack of public notice. I have said in my two responses, I do not. And I am saying it again, here... it would have been nice to have the notice.
But for the sake of fairness, not defeatism and bitterness, do you not see there is a reason behind the lack of notice? Would you prefer being treated like a fool and I hide behind words, saying, "Gosh... participation has been low."
And I believe I did provide something constructive. I am offering you insight of what will happen if people decide not to show up anymore. You have to start with the people inside, Deluthan, because that's what makes a community. If attendance continues to be in this sad state, then you will see more challenge results posted without any notice. And that's something only the people within can fix. They have to decide if it's important enough.
As to what changed my attitude to the Arena, Aelric, just consider my eyes opened. Right now, all I see are a couple of narrow-minded posts that focus more on individuals being offended for not being in the know, instead of focusing on how it got to this point. Call it harsh, defeatism, bitterness, anger, or whatever else, but right now I'm more concerned about having more duels to call instead of sitting ready to pounce on any suggestion of a duel. And I feel the attendance and this lack of notice are interconnected.
Because if there aren't any duelers to begin with, then we don't have to worry about the lack of notice for challenges. Now that's hopeless.

Var Medici-Giovanni
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 16 Apr 2003 03:09:20 EDT

It was a valiant effort, Arithon.

I only wish I could have been there..maybe I could have brought you better luck.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 16 Apr 2003 03:11:55 EDT

"Those statements reeked of defeatism and bitterness, Var, so give Aelric a
break.

Oh, and pointing fingers isn't going to solve the lack of interest. If you
have any desire to boost attendance in the Arena, then I suggest offering
something constructive and, if nothing else, hopeful."

Amen.

Cassius Gaius Maximius
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 16 Apr 2003 18:33:34 EDT

Var is one of the people I most respect in the duels, but I would support him on this point regardless. I duel every week. Not just in the Arena, but also in the Outback. Aelric, Deluthan, I can count on two hands the number of times I've seen either of you present during dueling hours in the past month. And I don't even need three fingers to count the number of times I've seen either of you duel in the past month. Granted, I'm not there all the time and you may be there times that I'm not, but from my experience, Var's dead on.

Hold Fast,

Grayson MacLeod.

Past Holder of IceDancer.

Warlord of the Duel of Swords.

Past Keeper of Water.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:52 pm

Date: 16 Apr 2003 20:48:29 EDT

To all,

Allow me to explain as to why there was no announcement of my challenge match.

Training away from the Arena as I have been of late, I have failed to make myself available to the posting boards. It was a severe oversight on my part to not announce to all that I had been challenged. In fact, I had been so absorbed in my training, it took special envoys to inform me that a challenge had been issued. Another severe oversight on my part.

I apologize to all for failing to take my duties of Baroness as a high priority as others would have me do, and I beg forgiveness in not announcing my challenge before it had occurred.

Once I responded to that challenge, I had agreed with Arithon to do battle quickly after accepting. Since we had agreed on time and date, we simply fought. There were several others who were witness to that match, as well, so I do not feel that participation was lacking.

If you wish to place blame on anyone for the lack of notice, place it on myself as I have learned that it is the Barons responsibility to inform the community of their being challenged.

That is all I have to say.

H.A.

((OOC: IRL concerns have kept me from dueling and even checking mail. I currently have limited time use either AOL or anything else. In fact, the most time I really would have had to make a post about the challenge would have been the day we actually fought. I apologize to all for not being available as may be required due to these personal circumstances. I do hope that sometime in the near future the internet connection and time will allow me to participate more often. If that doesn't seem to be happening, then I will do the proper thing and retire both the title and warlordship until such time as I can be around. :/ I am sorry for any inconvienence this may have caused to those who would have been interested in watching the duel on a Sunday at 8pm, if any. ))
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:52 pm

Date: 16 Apr 2003 21:03:36 EDT

If Baron Medici-Giovanni feels that the Arena is a "dead man", as he so succtintly puts it, then perhaps the right thing for him to do is to vacate his ring, as surely, he does not want to be representative of a dead man.

I'll be keeping my ring, which I should hope tells people about whether or not I feel the Arena is dead.

Cassius Gaius Maximius