Results of the Eighth

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:52 pm

Date: 16 Apr 2003 21:41:28 EDT

"You have to start with the people inside, Deluthan, because that's what makes a community."

And is this how you start with the people inside, Var, by stating publicly that said people are "very good at saying they aren't interested in dueling" and essentially pushing them away? You don't provoke people to increase their attendance frequency by making them feel sorry for ever having shown up in the first place.

Obviously there is something to be said about the recent lack of duels and neglected challenge-date notices, but my concern isn't there. Rather, my concern is how the attitude displayed in your original post here can only hurt matters.

Deluthan
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:52 pm

Date: 16 Apr 2003 22:19:41 EDT

Baroness Hayashibara,

I thank you for your response, and your explanation of the events that transpired. I also thank you for your polite manner, and I would like to commend you for a skillful defense. I would not be unhappy to see such a responsible and respectful duelist retain the title for some time to come. I wish you well in your future defenses.

~*~ Aelric Shadowmane ~*~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:53 pm

Date: 16 Apr 2003 23:55:43 EDT

I'm surprised in Arithon's lack of notice that he even challenged. His lack of respect for the Baron titles surprises me. I had thought him better than that, but it seems I was wrong.

Cletus Ganderfald
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 17 Apr 2003 03:11:39 EDT

"If Baron Medici-Giovanni feels that the Arena is a "dead man", as he so succtintly puts it, then perhaps the right thing for him to do is to vacate his ring, as surely, he does not want to be representative of a dead man.

I'll be keeping my ring, which I should hope tells people about whether or not I feel the Arena is dead."

This is stupid even for you, Cas. I said the participation has died. For one who is so literal, you sure do like to ignore specific words. By the way, I will mail you a shovel. I imagine it's hard for you to wade in your rubbish.

On another note, retiring for that reason isn't an entirely bad idea. After all, the flimsy excuse of wanting to be a family man was already used by you... and how long did that last you again? Six weeks before regaining a ring?

"You don't provoke people to increase their attendance frequency by making them feel sorry for ever having shown up in the first place"

Sure you do. Already, life has returned to this board, and I have you and Aelric posting your thoughts, and all I had to say was "you didn't deserve to be informed."

Quit making those not participating the victim, Deluthan. The only time anyone seems to care anymore is when they don't get what they want. Start caring for the community before you expect the community to care for you. I am sorry this hasn't been made abundantly clear.

The Duel of Swords is in trouble. Participation has died. If you do not like the attitude, then don't. But it took a kick in the backside to actually get some people to participate on the boards. I'm willing to take a shot or two if it will just get something going.

Var Medici-Giovanni
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 21 Apr 2003 12:21:59 EDT

Listen!

I was invovled in a hunt for Aya. I didslike the person but it came ta' my attention that she wasn't respondin' ta' her challenge at all. In the end they made contact and fought, the results in this stack of papers right here.

Point is, the initial challenge or intent ta' challenge should have been posted. When they two finally got tagether, there should have been a note put up, even if it was last minute.

This is a catch-22 here. One person says "Why bother" because noone participates while the others say "We can't participate without notice!" Someone has ta' bend and concede ta' the other folks. Buildin' this beaver dam between the two sides ain't gonna fix nothin'.

(Participation and people not doing it is an OOC issue, especially seeign how this discussion is going. There's more to this than simple challenges and non-notification)
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 21 Apr 2003 16:03:05 EDT

Nae everyone posts their challenges.

Nae everyone posts when they get challenged.

As fer notification o' th' Challenge itself, did ye think tae check th' Standin's?

An' as fer notification o' th' time o' th' match, maybe they figured it out and fought within a day 'er so. Puttin' a note thet says "we're fightin' taenight" rarely gets much o' an audience.

Lady Karen Wilder
Knight-Captain of the Knight's Templar
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 21 Apr 2003 17:49:45 EDT

>As fer notification o' th' Challenge itself, did ye think tae check th'
>Standin's?

This challenge was never listed on the standings, at least not until after the fact.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 21 Apr 2003 22:40:30 EDT

and "Rarely gets much of an audience" is a hell of alot better than "No chance in hell of anyone not in the know showing up."
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:54 pm

Date: 22 Apr 2003 20:17:50 EDT

Var is right of course.

Attendance dwindles so that being the case why not bash Var for pointing out what everyone who frequents the DoS should be aware of by now. Talk about shooting the messenger...sheeesh.

Sgt Sneggle
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:54 pm

Date: 22 Apr 2003 22:53:17 EDT

You act as if patrons are avoiding the Arena to spite you and the community, Var.

Del