The Forfeited Fith Ring

Read-only archive for the Duel of Swords
DoS Archive
Archivist

The Forfeited Fith Ring

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:05 pm

Date: 02 Jun 2003 18:09:43 EDT

One an all be advised that I have come to the a decsion on the matter of the recently retired/forfeited 5th ring.
As I for one do not approve of a ring sitting vacant for an entire cycle I intend to do one of two things. If Manni and Cat Shakira wish to compete in a best of three to determine a winner, one will be awarded the ring.
If Manni has retired as is rumored, the ring may be either awarded directly to Cat or a Baron may be chosen by the council to defend the ring.
A third option is a mini tourney of the warlords in the final brackets ( Harris excluded) to battle for it.
These final options have not been settled in my mind.

As to the matter of Harris D'artangon and his abuse of and seeming lack of respect for baron's rings and general disregard for the labors invested by callers to provide him with the option of title, he is hereby deemed unfit to occupy said titles for the period of one full cycle. He may not issue challenge for a barony or the overlord's title for that period of time. Should he continue to treat the titles in such low esteem following this action, his ability to challenge in the future will be taken into consideration and may be curtailed for a longer period.

Sincerely
Nycholas DeGyrlington defacto coordinator
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:06 pm

Date: 02 Jun 2003 20:19:35 EDT

So is that how things work here, guilty until proven innocent? I find it interesting how a decision was made without ever once allowing me to voice my side and my reasoning. What is it? Do you simply not care and would rather assume the worst of me than hear me out? As I mentioned before everyone seems to be quick to judge me and what I've done and yet *nobody* came to me to find out why. If you're so intent on assuming the worst then hell, that's exactly what I'll give you. Heh heh.

~Harris
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 02 Jun 2003 23:57:01 EDT

Hold a tag team tournament!!!!!!
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 03 Jun 2003 08:46:47 EDT

You said enough when you forfeited the ring again the night of the Tourney, Harris, and I paraphrased your wording on the boards; you had your chance to clear it up if you so wish.
I had told you, the night of the tourney, because of your decision, I would be recommending you be ineligible for the next tourney, because of blatant disregard for the title. Your only defense was: the title would not have been available, had you not forfeited it in the first place.
That is far from deserving of a thank you.
You spat on the prize twelve other people were fighting for. You made a mockery of a tourney I ran by myself, where Nick made himself available to help me and save my sanity for as long as he could.
It only reinforced the idea what a thankless job and pointless effort I make when I finally start giving a damn again. You had your fun, and enjoy it while you can... because I'm not going to be quiet about it anymore, nor will I waste my time with another tourney just to have the hard work I put in be mocked as you have done so willingly.
Guilty until proven innocent... that's the most self decrying load of crap I've read in a while. You've brought this all upon yourself, yet were still given the warning, by me, Sunday evening that you would face repercussions if you took this route. You had plenty of notice between that night and this afternoon to a) respond to my notice of the tourney results or b) prepare your own statement.
You're lucky Nych's handling this, because I'm ready to enforce a penalty on you worse than what happened to Methous when he tried to destroy the 8th. What he did was heat of the moment; what you've done the past several cycles have been cold, calculated actions that never, at one point, even eluded to respect for the titles or the duelers who fight for them.

In terms of the fate of the Fifth, I'd also be of the suggestion of saying "screw it" and let the ring sit for the entire cycle. It used to be important to make sure each ring was represented, but now it doesn't. The only way accountability can be taught is to make sure we don't set up a tourney to cover for every bonehead who gives up the ring for a longer time than we want the ring to be vacant. I have wasted enough time on extra-curricular hosting activities. This includes me not calling anymore challenges.

Var Medici-Giovanni
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:07 pm

Date: 03 Jun 2003 21:06:05 EDT

Up until this point Var I did consider us friends. And I would expect a friend to give me the common courtesy of asking my reasoning behind something such as this before making a judgement. You had judged me well before this, having made the decision to no longer duel me so I could not gain a peer win from you.

As far as I'm concerned all you've done in the past few months is grump and gripe and whine and bitch and moan about how this place is going all to hell. If I hadn't given you a reason to discontinue your extra-cirricular hosting activities someone else would have. As for the ring itself if any of those other duelists gave a good God damn about the ring or the Arena itself maybe they would've shown their faces *BEFORE* the tournament and attempted to garner the ten peer wins necessary to challenge for a ring. How many duelists did we have come out of nowhere to enter this tournament?

Seeing as how what the majority of you people see is some dumbass Warlord forfeiting three rings would an explanation really matter to any of you? You've made your judgement but what I've posted below is an edited version of the letter I sent to Nych after he decided to allow me to weigh in on the matter. Take it as you will.

"Let's start from the beginning, shall we? I defeated Malhavoc for the 7th under the assumption that holding a ring would allow me to further test and increase my skills. If you weren't aware I waited a full six months and never faced a challenger in the ring. In that period of six months *seventeen* other challenges occurred. Unagi defended the 3rd on three occasions, Cassius defended the 9th on two occasions, Ramus also defended the 6th on two occasions and Nova was involved in two battles for the 8th. Between four Barons there were *nine* challenges between them, over half of the total. What is there for a Baron to do that isn't spending his time defending a ring? I have no use for peer wins and there certainly aren't any tournaments for me to enter, so slowly but surely my skills began to decrease. So I decided to retire the 7th to allow myself entrance into the Warlord's Tournament.

My second challenge was *not* a challenge for the 5th ring, it was a challenge to Andur Salsinger for personal reasons I'll elaborate on here. On the rare occasion Andur graced the Arena with his presence I would approach him for a duel. On every single occasion he refused me and on his most recent occasion I was given a reason why. He claimed that since he had returned to the Arena he had only a single loss on his record and had no intention of allowing another blemish on that record. I'm sure there are a number of duelists out there who have had the experiece of being refused on a regular basis by another duelist. It just so happened there was a way I could get Andur into a ring and that was by challenge. I won and due to my previous experience with the 7th I had no intent of repeating that so I retired the 5th on the spot. Perhaps you should take even more interest in the fact that after losing the ring Andur announced his retirement. Really, is that a person that was doing the Arena any good?

After initially retiring the 7th and entering the WLT I failed miserably, eliminated in the second round. I wasn't looking to repeat that. My entrance in the tournament this time was simply to test my skill. If no prizes had been offered I still would've entered, which can't be said for most. As I believe Var noted after Galin lost to Tarl he asked me which ring I would prefer and my choice was the 2nd, which he then decided to take. I had no intent to accept a ring I had retired a month or so before. Would I have taken the 2nd and held it? Yes. The irony of winning a ring I had just retired left a bitter taste in my mouth that I didn't appreciate. I'm sure in all the years of the DoS that others have done this same thing.

As far as I'm concerned my reasoning is valid. My main problem is the fact that everyone, including yourself made judgements without *first* coming to me. You already made the ban official on the boards. Like I said, guilty until proven innocent. Everyone seems to assume the worst and that's what I'll give them. There's talk about disrespecting the rings. Why don't you focus your energy on the Barons that have become complacent, making rare appearances in the Arena only when it's necessary to defend their precious title? Everyone seems to place these titles above everything else, whereas my main goal here is to test and improve my skill. The rings should be a way for a duelist to do just that, but as of now they aren't anymore, especially with the way I've seen Barons begging on the corkboard for challenges."

~Harris D'Artainian
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Jun 2003 04:09:11 EDT

So then.

Ye say thet lack of Challenges led ye tae retire Rings in th' past...
Yet yer rediculous games in returning th' Rings, an' th' poor attitude ye showed when ye did nae get th' Ring ye wanted did more tae judge ye than anything else.

There have indeed been others thet retired their Rings afor a Tourney. In e'ery case where a former Baron won a prize after retiring their Ring, they took back th' Ring they retired.

There has indeed been another thet retired a Ring they won in a Tourney. Thet person was also censured, though yer own previous actions have shown thet a stronger censure was due.

There were indeed people who asked ye why ye would retire a Ring ye'd just won, an' all ye would say was "I don' like Irony hitting me in th' face." Yer flippant attitude an' previous rude actions involving th' Rings filled in th' rest.

Lady Karen Wilder
Knight-Captain of the Order of the Knights Templar
First Catholic Church of Rhy'Din.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Jun 2003 06:11:06 EDT

Harris's own explanation of his motives makes it quite clear that the decision to prohibit him from holding any title for at least one cycle is right and just. If he wishes to openly scorn the rings he wins, and do this under the pretext of "simply testing his skill," then it is fitting for skill to be its own reward and the only one available to him. Clearly he is either unfit or unwilling to receive any other reward.
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:08 pm

Date: 04 Jun 2003 14:22:57 EDT

How clear do I have to make it? I don't want a ring. I didn't challenge Andur for his ring. I challenged him because he had become arrogant, lazy, and complacent. I didn't enter the WLT to win a ring, it was dropped into my lap due to my third place finish. I am NOT after rings, I'm after holders. How do you suggest I lash out the aforementioned arrogant, lazy, and complacent Barons? Challenge them to a slapfight out in the back alley? Drag them into a ring during regular hours when there's nothing on the line for them to lose?

Holding a ring without challenge for an extended period of time will unwittingly lead me down that same path. Lift the ban and you're damn right I'll lash out in the exact same way that I have before. Have your Warlords blacklist me, have your staff ban me, do what it takes if you think you can handle the loss of another duelist. Keep your precious titles and let your Barons sit on them until the end of time. They're worthless.

~Harris D'Artainian
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Jun 2003 16:57:42 EDT

This punishment is entirely too strong. If I have a problem with a Baron, I won't hesitate to retire my ring to go after them. If I don't wish to take a prize in a tournament, that's my own right as well. Do we start punishing those that refuse the challenge right?

"invested by callers to provide him with the option of title"

It is an option, one that he doesn't wish. He should not be punished for that. At worst, make an addendum to the rules that states a refused prize can drop to the Warlord who placed directly below. Harris is one of the few we can count on to inject a little life into this stale Baronial environment. Let him challenge. Let him challenge me.

I've retired three rings in my tenure here. Others have retired two. Will we be punished the same if we retire more? I fully intend to retire this ring within the month if I am not challenged. I have no desire to sit on a ring when I'm not being challenged. I am of the same midset of Harris in that I simply use these rings to test myself in circumstances with a little added stress. If I'm not being challenged, there is no reason for me to hold onto a ring.

Cletus Ganderfald
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Jun 2003 17:03:23 EDT

Ah gots a question. . . If'n these Barons'r jus'sittin' 'round wit they thumbs up they hoops, how's about roustin' 'em out ta find out why they's bein' so lazy? If'n they's needin' messengers ta tell 'em when ta get they fight on, then they don' need ta be takin' up alla room at tha top. Shove 'em on over an' let tha rest'a us get a shot. Stop sendin' 'em messengers. If'n they's serious about keepin' they titles, they should be responsible enough ta come an' fight on they own.

But again, that's jus' one elf's opinion. If'n y'all don' like it, that's yer biz, an' none'a mine. If'n y'all gots a beef wit me fer sayin' it, y'all know where ta find me. Jus' follow tha thunder, an' bring yer noise.

::tacked up on the cork with a crude, sharpened stick::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Jun 2003 17:03:23 EDT

Ah gots a question. . . If'n these Barons'r jus'sittin' 'round wit they thumbs up they hoops, how's about roustin' 'em out ta find out why they's bein' so lazy? If'n they's needin' messengers ta tell 'em when ta get they fight on, then they don' need ta be takin' up alla room at tha top. Shove 'em on over an' let tha rest'a us get a shot. Stop sendin' 'em messengers. If'n they's serious about keepin' they titles, they should be responsible enough ta come an' fight on they own.

But again, that's jus' one elf's opinion. If'n y'all don' like it, that's yer biz, an' none'a mine. If'n y'all gots a beef wit me fer sayin' it, y'all know where ta find me. Jus' follow tha thunder, an' bring yer noise.

::tacked up on the cork with a crude, sharpened stick::
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Jun 2003 17:23:18 EDT

Fact is, Cletus, that Harris' little "crusade" is a lie. He said the night of the tourney he would have kept the second ring had Galin not taken it. Heck, I put on the announcement myself that Galin asked Harris what ring he wanted, and he said second. If, Harris, you didn't want a ring as you now staunchly say in defense, why did he say in public a preference?
As for the punishment, Cletus, you say that the ring is being sat on by barons and this is unacceptable. Yet the rings are being kept vacant in the ONLY way they can possibly get a more active holder. Ten people left the tournament who possibly would have loved to take the prize. By retiring the ring, you are showing disrespect towards those people who fought hard in the tourney.

Var Medici-Giovanni
Proud Father, Proud Husband
DoS Archive
Archivist

Post by DoS Archive » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:09 pm

Date: 04 Jun 2003 18:13:43 EDT

I realize that I am still new to this town or whatnot but I also know that in the time that I have been here there have been very few instances where Barons have showed up to duel. I agree to the point where people need to get out and duel instead of just waiting for something to happen. Not only is it not fair to the Barons that do show up its making for slow nights at the Arena.
I also understand why Harris wouldn't want to take on a ring that he just retired. Getting a different ring would have been different I'm sure for him.
I think the ban is uncalled for and I think that Harris should have been asked what his side of the story was before accusations started to fly around.
These are just my thoughts on it. I'm sure others will disapprove of what I am saying or of me but whats right is right I think.
~Raven~
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Jun 2003 19:36:22 EDT

As posted by Cletus:

>At worst, make an addendum to the rules that states a refused prize can drop to the Warlord who placed directly below.

That's exactly how things were handled in the past. And as Xeno himself said: a tournament is held to fill empty slots, if the person that wins doesn't want it, then it falls to the one right behind and so on. People get byes during a tournament, winning by default wouldn't be any different.

As for Harris, yes, I was annoyed about him retiring yet another ring, but after reading his letter I have to agree with some of his points. He is not the only Baron that has complained about not being challenged, but at least he was active in the rings and he has always been. Not many Barons or Warlords can claim that. I like seeing his face in the Arena and actually miss him when he's not around, but don't tell him that.

I'm not one to take a punishment away, it's already given, but I wouldn't like this to start a new trend.

Amaltea thu-Darelir
Sovereign of Barsi
11th Overlord of DoS
DoS Archive
Archivist

Date: 04 Jun 2003 19:38:39 EDT

I wish I could've actually made it to the tourney like I had planned. But unfortunately I couldn't. I would like to take a moment and apologize to Var. He was kind enough to let me enter the Tourney and in a way, I let him down. Var, sorry I wasn't able to attend after what you did.

With that out of the way I have to say I agree with Harris and Cletus. What good is having a title when no one will challenge you for it? I've been in the same boat as them both when I held the Seventh. I waited months in-between challenges and ended up holding the Ring for just over a year. A year, and how many challenges? Three.. and this was when attendance was up. I'll keep this short and sweet.

The ban is unnecessary.

Cory

Oh, and Cletus? One more Warlord for me to slap around and then you'll get your challenge. I think I can manage that in one months time. And for those of you that might to gripe about me not challenging any other Barons who haven't been challenged recently.. well it's my peer wins and my challenge to whomever I please. Just so happens 7 is my lucky number. Heads up, Cletus. Here I come.